What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
Nope pad. Funny I play Street Fighter on stick but MK I have to play pad. You should seem me play SF pad it's horrendous lol
I also play SF exclusively on a stick. Can't wrap my head around holding a button on the stick in order to block though :p
Honestly, with the DS4 inconsistencies I might consider switching to the stick although combos and general movement are very easy on MKX to warrant the amount of extra effort relearning the game would be....

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
I think it's very unfair when Kitana's iaf recovery is very good on both whiff and block, she can also convert into big combo with a naked air fan while Mileena's ia sai recovery is very bad and she can't follow combos. Additionally, in buzz saw Kung Lao's low hat is safe on block (NRS never learnt the MK9 low hat lesson) and Mileena's low sai is ridiculously dead on block
Mileena doesn't need those things. She doesn't live and die by her sai game, it's simply complimentary to her toolset.

I also play SF exclusively on a stick. Can't wrap my head around holding a button on the stick in order to block though :p
Honestly, with the DS4 inconsistencies I might consider switching to the stick although combos and general movement are very easy on MKX to warrant the amount of extra effort relearning the game would be....
I won't lie I use a ds4 and I have nothing but good experiences with it., prefer it over the X1 pad. The hori fc looks solid but I have heard mixed reviews, same with the pdp pad.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
I won't lie I use a ds4 and I have nothing but good experiences with it., prefer it over the X1 pad. The hori fc looks solid but I have heard mixed reviews, same with the pdp pad.
Main issue is doing bf motions. If you don't let go of the dpad, i.e. when in a hurry to perform said move, you risk ghost inputs of Up or Down and I've been punished/ not been able to punish multiple times. X1 pad at least uses switches instead of that membrane shit they used on the DS4 for its d-pad, although I disagree with its placement...
I agree FC looks tight, but can't import right now if you live in Greece :rolleyes:

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Main issue is doing bf motions. If you don't let go of the dpad, i.e. when in a hurry to perform said move, you risk ghost inputs of Up or Down and I've been punished/ not been able to punish multiple times. X1 pad at least uses switches instead of that membrane shit they used on the DS4 for its d-pad, although I disagree with its placement...
I agree FC looks tight, but can't import right now if you live in Greece :rolleyes:
Ahh man, was just going to recommend the Hori FC4. I use the pad and think its awesome so if you get the opportunity sometime you should purchase that

Method

Full Combo Punishable
I made the switch from DS4 to fightstick recently, a HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai. I was expecting it to be a rough transition, but after only a few hours of playing like a total asshole, I felt a lot better about it. I find most things are actually easier, having multiple fingers on buttons. Run canceling takes a bit of getting used to, as does push-to-block. The rest feels far superior to pad.

My hands are simply too big for the DS4. My shit was cramping up. Not to mention my thumb covering the entire dpad, causing inconsistent execution errors.

Last edited:
Mileena doesn't need those things. She doesn't live and die by her sai game, it's simply complimentary to her toolset.
It feels like a glitch though. Air sai is in nearly every combo she has, but do it raw and you're stuck? Compared to what we already see in this game I find it hard to believe this was done to prevent her from being OP. Sure she'd be harder to navigate, especially in Piercing, but she still wouldn't have the BEST zoning.

In Kitana's case she doesn't have an EX Air Fan and Mileena does. Mileena's EX Air Sai reduces the recovery, but it's still not easy to followup with anything. There's really no reason to spend meter on EX Air Sai. So I'd be 100% ok with removing EX Air Sai in exchange for comboability.

I think raw air sai was given shit recovery to stop instant air zoning games. Kitana has it because, like it was mentioned before, she is a completely different type of character than the majority of the MKX cast and relies on space and air control with her projectiles. However, I think now that NRS sees that Mileena really isn't a strong contender in any game, (ie: zoning, spacing, mixup, damage) rather a jack of all trades master of none, they would possibly consider improving her air sai recovery. Doing this helps her air control, zoning, and damage games. It slightly improves her by changing a single tool which improves several parts of her character.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I think raw air sai was given shit recovery to stop instant air zoning games. Kitana has it because, like it was mentioned before, she is a completely different type of character than the majority of the MKX cast and relies on space and air control with her projectiles. However, I think now that NRS sees that Mileena really isn't a strong contender in any game, (ie: zoning, spacing, mixup, damage) rather a jack of all trades master of none, they would possibly consider improving her air sai recovery. Doing this helps her air control, zoning, and damage games. It slightly improves her by changing a single tool which improves several parts of her character.
I think it is because of her design, her design could easily become fucked up if they make one bad move IMO.
Same happens with Kung Lao, but he is the oposite, he is very good in every game so. Lol.

I think it is because of her design, her design could easily become fucked up if they make one bad move IMO.
Same happens with Kung Lao, but he is the oposite, he is very good in every game so. Lol.
If they made one bad move it would just affect the area of design that used the tool they changed. In order for Mileena to be completely busted they would have to make a few mistakes at least... Like if they simply gave the general Mileena request of making F3 faster and let's say made it like 20-25 frames start-up but gave Mileena no additional adjustments for the buff. So no scaling, no reduced hitbox, no adjustment just made F3 straight up 20-25 frames start-up. That would be a mistake on their part because there isn't really any balance in that decision. However, it wouldn't plummet Mileena into top 10 or even top 15 imo. It would just make her alot more stronger in her mix-up and damage areas than any other of her areas like zoning or spacing. Now if they did that and then gave her air sai like no recovery. Then that would start to change Mileena into a monster. Not only would her mixup and damage go up but then her zoning and spacing gets a lot better too. But those were just using 2 examples of extreme buffs with no balancing adjustments, which NRS would never do. So from my perspective NRS would have to be very generous, which they have been nice to her but they haven't spoiled her, with Mileena in order to f up with her character's balance. Air sai being adjusted so it doesn't feel like Mileena falls like a rock wouldn't be too devastating to her character.

Last edited:
I think raw air sai was given shit recovery to stop instant air zoning games. Kitana has it because, like it was mentioned before, she is a completely different type of character than the majority of the MKX cast and relies on space and air control with her projectiles. However, I think now that NRS sees that Mileena really isn't a strong contender in any game, (ie: zoning, spacing, mixup, damage) rather a jack of all trades master of none, they would possibly consider improving her air sai recovery.
See I disagree... Not singling you out, as you're not the only one to say that, but what one fix would make her OP? Obviously making Roll safe/low or making TK safe/overhead could be overkill, but outside of that I can't imagine she's hovering on the line of brokenness.

Even with the recovery, you can still fire off instant air sais somewhat quickly as long as the sai doesn't hit as anti-air. It just seems to be "on hit only". In fact, I've done early IAS and had people jump IN to it and I still couldn't move in afterward.

I dunno if I believe this is making up for mistakes they made with MK9 Mileena, but MK9 Kung Lao was even better, and yet he's still at the top. Kung Lao has the toolkit to always be good. They'd have to go out of their way to make him bad.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
She has everything but doesn't shine at anything...
The only thing that would make her mix-ups better is if they gave her a meterless overhead (an unreactable one) that choice would make her super good.
Giving her better zoning would make her really good (Kitana-like zoning) and that's because outside of her zoning she would have mix-ups, and she would build tons of meter, not to mention that she's really good in the neutral game... getting in on Mileena would be ridiculous lol. She would basically be a way better Kitana.
Giving her better footsies... I don't think they can give her better footsies honestly, hers are very good in MKX.
Giving her more damage, yeah that would be dumb.
Giving her better pokes... Hm, I think that would be much as well because she has one of the best armored moves in the game, they gave her slow pokes because they want her to commit to EX roll to get out of pressure, even tho her pokes aren't THAT bad considering her D3 lowers her hitbox.
Making her anymore safe... I think making her a bit more safe in a FEW things like F44 would be ok, but that's it.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
She has everything but doesn't shine at anything...
The only thing that would make her mix-ups better is if they gave her a meterless overhead (an unreactable one) that choice would make her super good.
Giving her better zoning would make her really good (Kitana-like zoning) and that's because outside of her zoning she would have mix-ups, and she would build tons of meter, not to mention that she's really good in the neutral game... getting in on Mileena would be ridiculous lol. She would basically be a way better Kitana.
Giving her better footsies... I don't think they can give her better footsies honestly, hers are very good in MKX.
Giving her more damage, yeah that would be dumb.
Giving her better pokes... Hm, I think that would be much as well because she has one of the best armored moves in the game, they gave her slow pokes because they want her to commit to EX roll to get out of pressure, even tho her pokes aren't THAT bad considering her D3 lowers her hitbox.
Making her anymore safe... I think making her a bit more safe in a FEW things like F44 would be ok, but that's it.
If anything, F44 should be + on block, like most interrupt-able strings in the game that lead to a knockdown.

Method

Full Combo Punishable
I think roll hitting low would be insta-busted, for instance. The obvious stuff. I'm not sure about faster F3, but if you could start converting off certain things with F3 (with the current damage scaling), her meterless damage would hulk out. Depends how the launcher scales as you get deeper into combos. Overhead TK maybe, but I'd actually like to see that.

Things like better frames (within reason), universal low sai, IAS recovery, I don't see those breaking her outright. But there are a few buffs I've seen mentioned that, in my opinion, could potentially be OTT given her current design. I'd love to see low hitting roll, but can you imagine ...?

I could be wrong. Wtf do I know? I'm just a guy in a basement.

I'm not saying she doesn't need love, because she does. Bottom line is, I agree with NRS' slow and steady approach to buffing Milly (and most characters, in general). I'd really like to see her be safer, with improved frames and pressure potential. Anything else would be icing on the cake.

... or just make her roll hit low and let's get this party started. :)

Last edited:
I think roll hitting low would be insta-busted, for instance. The obvious stuff. I'm not sure about faster F3, but if you could start converting off certain things with F3 (with the current damage scaling), her meterless damage would hulk out. Depends how the launcher scales as you get deeper into combos. Overhead TK maybe, but I'd actually like to see that.

Things like better frames (within reason), universal low sai, IAS recovery, I don't see those breaking her outright. But there are a few buffs I've seen mentioned that, in my opinion, could potentially be OTT given her current design. I'd love to see low hitting roll, but can you imagine ...?

I could be wrong. Wtf do I know? I'm just a guy in a basement.

I'm not saying she doesn't need love, because she does. Bottom line is, I agree with NRS' slow and steady approach to buffing Milly (and most characters, in general). I'd really like to see her be safer, with improved frames and pressure potential. Anything else would be icing on the cake.

... or just make her roll hit low and let's get this party started. :)
I think the problem that lies with low roll though is the amount of BS mixup potential behind it. It's kind of too big of a buff to regulate fairly imo. But if they did it I think we would have to say goodbye to Mileena's awesome damage or something. I know it's a bad example because she was broken and in a completely different game, but Killer Frost had a fast advancing low that launched and it was safe so who knows.

Last edited:

Method

Full Combo Punishable
I know it's a bad example because she was broken and in a completely different game. But Killer Frost had a fast advancing low that launched and it was safe so who knows.
I've heard it said that only Mileena mains consider low roll OP. Of course I'd love an insta-low meterless launcher, even if it's hella unsafe. With meter, every cancellable string becomes a potential guessing game. Seems crazy to me.

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
Only EX worth meter, for combos at least, is EX Telekick. EX Roll is good for her 50/50 game but damage from it is just so lackluster.

I never even use EX sai in any matches. I'd rather have an EX high pounce. ;)

Method

Full Combo Punishable
Only EX worth meter, for combos at least, is EX Telekick. EX Roll is good for her 50/50 game but damage from it is just so lackluster.

I never even use EX sai in any matches. I'd rather have an EX high pounce.
Indeed. I'd love to see EX sai (ground) lose the gap and be more plus on block for pressure purposes. Another useful way to spend meter.

Hey guys, one quick question about mileena; back 1, 2 is supposed to be very unsafe (-20), but in training absolutely nothing can punish it. Am i crazy or overlooking smth here, because if back 1, 2 really is safe it would be a great poke, especially in piercing.
I was testing this in piercing only btw.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Hey guys, one quick question about mileena; back 1, 2 is supposed to be very unsafe (-20), but in training absolutely nothing can punish it. Am i crazy or overlooking smth here, because if back 1, 2 really is safe it would be a great poke, especially in piercing.

Thanks in advance
Frame data is wrong. It's -5.

As far as F44 buffs go, I would love if F44 could convert into air sai like B34 can.

Anseyf

Noob
I played Mileena since launch. Starting with Etherreal in the first few days, quickly switching to Piercing and since a few weeks I prefer Ravenous.

After at least knowing how to use all three variations (certainly not being optimized at them) I looked for second mains and landed on D'Vorah. I was of course well aware that D'Vorah is widely considered a better character, but I was still quite surprised.

It has opened me up to some new experiences like: You can use NJP for offence? You can win a poking war? You can use attacks to leave you plus on block?

Jokes aside there are many aspects in this game were Mileena is lacking. Of course she also has her strengths but overall she is a fair character in a partially absurd unfair game.

That all said not everyone can be top10 material, especially in a game with (soon) 29 characters. So if I would work at NRS and could change one thing it would be to make her enders more consistent. Adjusting the hitbox of the second hit of B2,1,2+4 and making low pounce an overhead. At the end of the day jumping through all the hoops and depending on reads to get any combo going just to eat the punish right away because you were 2 frames off with the timing on the ender is what frustrates me the most.

I honestly think her Roll should be 2-3 frames slower.
Honestly I don't think it would make a great difference but on what is your opinion based?