What's new

The Metal Thread

Yoaks

A spaceman
@Zoidberg747 Casualties of Cool is really good album! I like it alot more than Mastodon's newest record. Yea, it's not metal, but... it's Devin Townsend! I love everything he puts out!

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
@Zoidberg747 Casualties of Cool is really good album! I like it alot better than Mastodon's newest record. Yea, it's not metal, but... it's Devin Townsend! I love everything he puts out!
I never said it was bad, just that I didnt think it was metal. I dig it though.

Edit: I also dont like the new Mastodon record, was a bit disappointed.

@RelentlessOhio what about the new record don't you like? I love Akeldama too but I dont see a huge difference between the two.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I just haven't liked their sound since Planetary. I like that they picked up Evan Brewer, but the production is so loud he might as well not even be in the band.

I haven't really been keeping up with them though lately. Been into progressive metal a lot more recently.

Yoaks

A spaceman
I never said it was bad, just that I didnt think it was metal. I dig it though.

Edit: I also dont like the new Mastodon record, was a bit disappointed.

@RelentlessOhio what about the new record don't you like? I love Akeldama too but I dont see a huge difference between the two.
I never said that you said (lol) the album was bad. Just expressing my enjoyment of DT's work!

Zoidberg747

I just haven't liked their sound since Planetary. I like that they picked up Evan Brewer, but the production is so loud he might as well not even be in the band.

I haven't really been keeping up with them though lately. Been into progressive metal a lot more recently.
I loved autotheism personally. Being a bassist makes it easier for me to hear the bass, so I can see where it might be harder to hear. I also think Lyle Cooper was at his best for Autotheism.

To each his own though. :)

Error

DF2+R2
I loved autotheism personally. Being a bassist makes it easier for me to hear the bass, so I can see where it might be harder to hear. I also think Lyle Cooper was at his best for Autotheism.

To each his own though. :)
The bass was kind of lackluster in Autotheism, Planetary Duality is where it really shone. Even in an interview prior to Autotheism releasing Evan said he did't have any flashy licks like the PD had.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
The bass was kind of lackluster in Autotheism, Planetary Duality is where it really shone. Even in an interview prior to Autotheism releasing Evan said he did't have any flashy licks like the PD had.
His solo album "Alone" is awesome. And I think he was much better in Animosity.

If you're a bassist, listen to this. This is how bass should sound in metal.

Error

DF2+R2
His solo album "Alone" is awesome. And I think he was much better in Animosity.

If you're a bassist, listen to this. This is how bass should sound in metal.

I guess the tone fits, just sounds like an average bass tone that wasn't buried in the mix, but this isn't really metal.

I think the bass should always be given a moment to shine because it brings a level of heaviness into the song, whether it's through a solo or just a bass lick.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
1:08-1:32 is just
. Peter Tagtgren's vocals are phenomenal.

Also, War Ensemble - particularly this version - has been stuck in my head for like two weeks. Shit's driving me insane, I woke up this morning and my brain was going "DUN, DA DUN, DA DUN, DA DUNDUN" as soon as I'd opened my eyes.

Zoidberg747

Don't know if anyone has heard about this but I thought I would spread the word. Apparently Rogue Records is making a record that features collaborations of some of the best/most famous metal musicians out there. They are trying to crowdfund it though, so im not sure how that will work out. Ill probably donate 20 bucks to get the CD if it comes out. Here is the musicians involved if anyone is interested:

Raymond Herrera - Fear Factory/Arkaea
Shavo Odadjian - System Of A Down
Chris Adler - Lamb Of God
Rob Barrett - Cannibal Corpse
John Boecklin - Devildriver
Paul Masvidal - Death/Cynic
David Davidson - Revocation
Sean Reinert - Death/Cynic
Jon Howard - Threat Signal/Arkaea
Mitch Harris - Napalm Death
Jed Simon - Scar The Martyr/Strapping Young Lad
Frank Watkins - Obituary/Gorgoroth