What's new

The fate of Mortal Kombat 9's online services? A response by Ed Boon.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
The pc version is the best verison provided u have a good pc. Also I don't recommend doing king of the hill because the avatars in the theater mode can lag shitty pcs I feel. I also notice that like injustice on pc a koh room suffers disconnection issues at times.

Anyway glad they seem to be doing something about the death of gamespy. It would suck if mk vs dc still has online but not the only mk that made evo plus all the mlg hyped. Still though imagine if boon tweeted next umk9 for xbone, ps4, 360 and ps3. That would be so fucking hype. I doubt it but 1 can always hope :(

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
When we played the other day, I thought it was great (minus that first match, which was like oddly laggy for some reason lol)

Yeah I've noticed that sometimes when you play people with shitty rigs, that it actually lowers the framerate for both players in the match. Feels like playing in bullet time.

But my rig is pretty badass as I custom built it for audio engineering and gaming on the side lol
Ya when me u and Chris have played it seemed okay too seeing as I'm on the complete west side of the usa

TONY-T

Mad scientist
I never played online due to the lag, but if its moved to better servers i may give it a go. Interesting.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The new servers won't affect the actual online quality. They are merely for connecting players, after that it's P2P. The netcode is just terribad. That's what will fix it.

The new servers won't affect the actual online quality. They are merely for connecting players, after that it's P2P. The netcode is just terribad. That's what will fix it.
Could you explain this further because I'm confused now?

How the new servers aren't gonna affect the quality? Wasn't part of online lag a fault of gamespy servers?

And what do you mean the netcode? Isn't the netcode affected by the servers? Changing servers won't change the netcode and affect online lag?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Could you explain this further because I'm confused now?

How the new servers aren't gonna affect the quality? Wasn't part of online lag a fault of gamespy servers?

And what do you mean the netcode? Isn't the netcode affected by the servers? Changing servers won't change the netcode and affect online lag?
GameSpy simply provides matchmaking services for online games. They provide a means to connect to players, after which the servers have no use and everything is P2P, which is dependent on the coding of the netplay (done by the game developers).

Getting rid of GameSpy simply means that the matchmaking service is being switched. Nothing about the netcode should actually change. If by chance it does get changed, then there's a chance that something on GameSpy's end was interfering with the netcode in some way.

Superi0rMagik

You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent
I miss the mk players I wish more of you would play ki! Good to see mk continuing! if anyone wants to get some games in on ki tho my xbl tag is Superi0rMagik! (with a zero)

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
After returning to online play in about a month a was able to add to my friend list 3-4 really good online players. As soon as I adapted or at least partially to existing lag I was able to have good challenge. Some things are still almost impossible to do but in overall it's fun.
What's more interesting is that there are set-UPs/gimmicks I have never seen anywhere even back in the golden MK days in the US.
There are also annoying frame traps that are just insane in online play, such as Cages or Liu Kangs and so on.

However it's all still fun to sit down pop a beer and have a 20 minute session with some good and scrubby players for a change.