What's new

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 General Discussion

Flagg

Noob
I think the game is fine to play on a pad, depending on how you hold the control.

And Nina is still as good as she was in Tekken 2. Some of her throw combos still do around 50% damage! Finally found the perfect compliment to Bruce.

EDIT: Now that im getting to grips with OTG attacks, homing moves again, I forgot just how in depth and awesome Tekken is.

~NAKM~

Tekken, SF4: AE, BB: CP, and Persona 4: Arena
Tekken can be played perfectly fine on a pad. But if it's one of those "one-button" D-pads and not four separate d-pad buttons then it's somewhat a bit more difficult to execute certain moves ones with QC and HC movements.

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
I'll start off by saying I'm by no means a Tekken player. My last Tekken was Tekken3 and "mained" Hwoarang because he could combo 3-3-3-3-4-4-4-4 lol

Is Tekken the type of game where any character can be viable? I'd hate to jump headfirst into this only to find out I picked this game's Kano :\
I'm a little worried bc I remember seeing nothing but Bobs at evo finals

SZSR

Noob
I'll start off by saying I'm by no means a Tekken player. My last Tekken was Tekken3 and "mained" Hwoarang because he could combo 3-3-3-3-4-4-4-4 lol

Is Tekken the type of game where any character can be viable? I'd hate to jump headfirst into this only to find out I picked this game's Kano :\
Yep, in TTT2 however it's more of how much synergy your team comp has since juggles are king in this game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

The game's tiers are mainly determined by how good your character is statistically. But the game is really well done on balance. Every character has their BS.

But it's moreso about what you come up with with your team.

And goddamn, they weren't kidding when they said Cleveland was a Tekken city.

So, I'm going to take my first serious foray into Tekken, and tag/team fighters, with TTT2. And advice or tips for a total Tekken beginner? More specifically, any advice on how to crack the toughest and most obvious nut that is the character select screen? To thoes that also play VF5, how much of that is applicable to Tekken?

THTB

So, I'm going to take my first serious foray into Tekken, and tag/team fighters, with TTT2. And advice or tips for a total Tekken beginner? More specifically, any advice on how to crack the toughest and most obvious nut that is the character select screen? To thoes that also play VF5, how much of that is applicable to Tekken?
Juggles are very similar between the two in terms of flow. Tekken combos are generally longer, especially with the tag assault, and strings aren't always natural combos. Aside from that, they're really different. Sidestepping is a lot less automatic...if you sidestep, you won't always be successful even if you sidestep the right way. You have to be sidestepping early enough to not get hit, and it's also dependent on the limb. For instance, avoiding EWGF requires a sidestep to the opposite side of the limb used, which is their left, your right. Also, there are universal low parries, and moving is much more free to let you space yourself well.

As for character selection, pick who you like.

As for character selection, pick who you like.
It's just getting their that's the problem. With other games it's more of a simple process of elimination, but TTT2's roster is so goddamn gigantic I don't know where to start. MK had the Story Mode and Challenge Tower that was good at both giving a decent sample of the characters as well as teaching the systems. Does TTT2 have any approximation to that? Are there certain characters that make learning the systems easier?

THTB

It's just getting their that's the problem. With other games it's more of a simple process of elimination, but TTT2's roster is so goddamn gigantic I don't know where to start. MK had the Story Mode and Challenge Tower that was good at both giving a decent sample of the characters as well as teaching the systems. Does TTT2 have any approximation to that? Are there certain characters that make learning the systems easier?
There's no story mode, unfortunately.

As for characters that are more fundamental to the game...really hard to say, tbh. Probably the Jack characters. Jack-6 is pretty good, and P.Jack is really similar.

Jack is a very basic character but you will have to deal with his slow speed. I recommend Devil Jin. He is a Mishima, but he's balanced in his ability compared to the other Mishimas. For example, Kazuya has best lows, Heihachi has better mids, and Jin has the best overall range.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Play Lili and Asuka, then branch out.
I play a little Asuka anyway and like the look of Lili too so may well do that. I like the look of slim Bob but will have to wait for him I guess. Kuni looks cool too. So much choice!

Edit: Hmm I think Lili and Asuka hate each other so prob not a good team.

gdf

Noob
I play a little Asuka anyway and like the look of Lili too so may well do that. I like the look of slim Bob but will have to wait for him I guess. Kuni looks cool too. So much choice!
If you play PSN, hopefully we can play. I don't know about how regions work in TTT2.

I need to learn those matches.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
If you play PSN, hopefully we can play. I don't know about how regions work in TTT2.

I need to learn those matches.
I've bought it on both so yeah add me. I'm terrible at the mo though and will probably be spending some weeks offline first.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
been playing this game a ton lately.. really fun but difficult... got bodied by devil jim.. lol hes too good.. houston tekken scene is the best.