What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

molambo

(X ౪ X )
I meant how much and how well made is the stuff that is already in the game. I do agree that the shop is "greed" move but honestly i couldn't care less about it since everything i want from this game is already in it. I didn't even look at the shop yet and i probably never will.

There are, i've seen a lot but i also remember Tekken 7 launch and imo this is waaaay better than it was back then. I do hope they gonna fix most of it in a decent time frame.

That's fair, everybody should play what they enjoy. Thou i may add - i didn't like Rage drive in T7 same as i don't like Heat in T8. It's the same coin for me just different side of it. That being said i do enjoy playing Tekken 8.
Me neither but there are Basics missing like endless Rematches in Quickplay so for me it hasnt everything i want for now.
T7 Arcade Launch or Home Platform? I dont recall it having these issues on the Console/PC Release.

Thats the thing, you never needed to use Ragedrive when you dont wanted and still could win your matches. Heat isnt optional unless you start to dont use certain basic moves where they attached it to. Not that it would be smart to not use it due to the mixup you get out of it and thats what i dislike that its so important that you have to use it while at the same time being a shit mechanic that forces you to play agressive or to endure people being in your face where you have to hold that mixup after you got hit by a armored move which activates it...

Immortal

Blind justice....
Me neither but there are Basics missing like endless Rematches in Quickplay so for me it hasnt everything i want for now.
T7 Arcade Launch or Home Platform? I dont recall it having these issues on the Console/PC Release.
Oh that reminds me - yeah i do miss endless rematches in T8, i do hope they gonna add it soon.

I meant T7 Arcade, when it first launched, it was well... a mess, like invisble wall from ceiling in the middle of the stage mess lol. The arcade version had like idk 10 versions/patches before it went to console/PC. Tekken 8 had no arcade version, went straight to consoles/PC so if i compare both, yeah T8 is in way better place at the start.

Thats the thing, you never needed to use Ragedrive when you dont wanted and still could win your matches. Heat isnt optional unless you start to dont use certain basic moves where they attached it to. Not that it would be smart to not use it due to the mixup you get out of it and thats what i dislike that its so important that you have to use it while at the same time being a shit mechanic that forces you to play agressive or to endure people being in your face where you have to hold that mixup after you got hit by a armored move which activates it...
I do agree with this. Forget the mixup you get out of it but the combos extension and added damage alone makes it insanely good and kinda retarded. I mean you can easily get carried from one wall to the other one on smaller stages and while having 60% of your life just die from it and there is NOTHING you can do about it. That's why i really don't like it, you have to use it or you're just putting yourself at serious disadvantage or even straight up forfeiting the game. Not to mention that's another "comeback" mechanic on top of Rage Art which is another one i never liked.

That being said i undestand that both(same as simple controls mechanic) were added as a "new players" need something to not feel like they're 20 years behind everybody else. Tekken like all long running game-series needs new players and a lof of them. Not that it will help then win EVO but at least on surface they have a chance. Business is business and Bamco like all corporations wants to make as much money as possible. I'm just happy they didn't went the NRS/WB way and just release completely bare bones game with almost no content and made you pay extra for everything beyond that.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
Oh that reminds me - yeah i do miss endless rematches in T8, i do hope they gonna add it soon.

I meant T7 Arcade, when it first launched, it was well... a mess, like invisble wall from ceiling in the middle of the stage mess lol. The arcade version had like idk 10 versions/patches before it went to console/PC. Tekken 8 had no arcade version, went straight to consoles/PC so if i compare both, yeah T8 is in way better place at the start.

I do agree with this. Forget the mixup you get out of it but the combos extension and added damage alone makes it insanely good and kinda retarded. I mean you can easily get carried from one wall to the other one on smaller stages and while having 60% of your life just die from it and there is NOTHING you can do about it. That's why i really don't like it, you have to use it or you're just putting yourself at serious disadvantage or even straight up forfeiting the game. Not to mention that's another "comeback" mechanic on top of Rage Art which is another one i never liked.

That being said i undestand that both(same as simple controls mechanic) were added as a "new players" need something to not feel like they're 20 years behind everybody else. Tekken like all long running game-series needs new players and a lof of them. Not that it will help then win EVO but at least on surface they have a chance. Business is business and Bamco like all corporations wants to make as much money as possible. I'm just happy they didn't went the NRS/WB way and just release completely bare bones game with almost no content and made you pay extra for everything beyond that.
i see the arcade phase as a early access phase for the then to be released "final" game so when they would have wanted to do the same with t8 they could release it as early access version which they didnt so for me, i compare it with the release state of tekken 7 on pc because thats the moment they ask me to pay em money for it.

Mixup/Pressure Options, Combo Damage, Different hit Propperties on certain Moves, Wall Carry, Armored Moves attached to it or raw Activation which is i believe save on block and a activation timer which lasts longer then a lot of rounds. its a stupid mechanic and i doubt they manage to handle it but we will see how that turns out in the future. And yes, Rageart is of course still there even tho i would describe it more as a comeback mechanic then Heat since you can use Heat all the time while Rage is a reward to actually get beaten up to a certain point. Nr Learned from Mk11 and "fixed" its Rageart Version in Mk1 so that you at least cant just mash it out whenever you want without getting beaten out of it. In T8 its worse then in T7 .

i am not so sure if they "needed" it since t7 did well already and the easy controll thing is something you barely see online. new players and customers are always nice but at this point i wouldnt be surprised when t7 will have higher sales in the long run then t8. gameplay changes asside the singleplayer stuff is not really that big. you can be done in a week which is not the case with mk1.

from a content perspective in terms of singleplayer modes i dont see how tekken has more. both have a cinematic story mode. both have "arcade" mode with player endings. one has the lobby system with tekken ball, the arcade quest and the other has that map with seasons attached to it. from a pure singleplayer perspective there is more to do in mk1 then t8.

which doesnt mean that i like it, i find the maps interesting and they put effort into creating em but it gets boring fast and frustrating when you have to jump around some fireballs to not get hit for 30 seconds...

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Is anyone else hard stuck in a rank? It's been a week now that I'm deathly stuck bouncing between Raijin/Kishin ranks. Too good for Battle Ruler/Fujin, not good enough for Bushin/Tekken King, so I'm hard stuck in the middle. Starting to get frustrated lol and know I gotta grind, but it's interesting to see such a hard stuck position like this happen. Main is Leo. I've got Jun and Alisa into the Blue Ranks also but Leo is tops.

LEGEND

YES!
I lose my mind whenever I play ranked so I'm hard stuck in quick play. . .

Leo main too. Character is too sick. Love the moveset/fighting style.

Thought I'd get Kuma up to Purple but after a 100% one n done/plug rate after an hour I gave up. Not playing ranked ever again until this shit is fixed.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I'm kinda in the same boat but i still see progress, last week was in Flame Ruler/Battle Ruler now im bouncing between Battle Ruler and Fujin and my win rate vs Fujin/Raijin player is much better than it was. So while progress slowed down for me, it's still there.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I lose my mind whenever I play ranked so I'm hard stuck in quick play. . .

Leo main too. Character is too sick. Love the moveset/fighting style.

Thought I'd get Kuma up to Purple but after a 100% one n done/plug rate after an hour I gave up. Not playing ranked ever again until this shit is fixed.
We must be the only two Leo main's on the planet lol. Highly underrated character. Monster Tier on small wall stages and no one can convince me otherwise.

You know that "stages of denial" thing? I've reached the final stage, acceptance, when it comes to the pluggers. When it happens to me now I just laugh a bit and go to the next match. Legit the #1 issue bugging the game. Sometimes you play people in the Lounge or quick match "at your rank" and they're so terrible you're saying to yourself "yea you definitely plugged" lol.

I'm kinda in the same boat but i still see progress, last week was in Flame Ruler/Battle Ruler now im bouncing between Battle Ruler and Fujin and my win rate vs Fujin/Raijin player is much better than it was. So while progress slowed down for me, it's still there.
That's what I'm trying to feel, like that type of progress even if it slows. Especially when you can see facing your own level or slightly higher your win rate is going up, that's when you're progressing. I think I'm gonna use this week to ultra lab punishment on characters I don't see as often but when they come up I know I'm missing out like Shaheen, Claudio, etc., maximize all stage transitions, things like that, and by the end of the week see if I can break past the barrier. I must have been demoted and promoted between the two ranks 15-20 times now lol gotta change something.

LEGEND

YES!
We must be the only two Leo main's on the planet lol. Highly underrated character. Monster Tier on small wall stages and no one can convince me otherwise.
I got lucky. They're the first character I tried, knowing nothing about Tekken, and instantly loved everything. Any time I mess around with another character I feel like I'm missing a tool that Leo has.

Wall carry and damage is pretty insane too. Other characters are just more simplified because one tool does multiple things for them where you have to play Leo with more intention behind each move. Assuming no major balance changes I definitely see more people picking up Leo in the future.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Is anyone else hard stuck in a rank? It's been a week now that I'm deathly stuck bouncing between Raijin/Kishin ranks. Too good for Battle Ruler/Fujin, not good enough for Bushin/Tekken King, so I'm hard stuck in the middle. Starting to get frustrated lol and know I gotta grind, but it's interesting to see such a hard stuck position like this happen. Main is Leo. I've got Jun and Alisa into the Blue Ranks also but Leo is tops.
Considering the incessant knowledge checks in this game, Raijin/Kishin is very impressive, especially if you are not a legacy Tekken player.

As you climb the ranks, match up experience and defense become more and more relevant.

You have to know how to escape throws on reaction as well as how to maximize punishment on block and whiff. You have to know when and to which side to step yet also when to side walk... while buffering low parry at the appropriate time... against 30+ characters that have over 100 moves.

Everyone knows how and when to attack in Tekken 8 because of the simplified offense, but not everyone knows how to move and defend properly. After playing Tekken for over 25+ years casually and somewhat competitively, defense and match up knowledge are what separate players like you and me from Arslan Ash and Knee.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Considering the incessant knowledge checks in this game, Raijin/Kishin is very impressive, especially if you are not a legacy Tekken player.

As you climb the ranks, match up experience and defense become more and more relevant.

You have to know how to escape throws on reaction as well as how to maximize punishment on block and whiff. You have to know when and to which side to step yet also when to side walk... while buffering low parry at the appropriate time... against 30+ characters that have over 100 moves.

Everyone knows how and when to attack in Tekken 8 because of the simplified offense, but not everyone knows how to move and defend properly. After playing Tekken for over 25+ years casually and somewhat competitively, defense and match up knowledge are what separate players like you and me from Arslan Ash and Knee.
The skill floor in Tekken 8 is still very real. A lot of NRS players found that out very quickly lol

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Eddy Wang i really appreciate all of the Jin content you’ve been putting out. I try to leave a like on your videos that I do catch. He’s my co-main along with bryan.
He is the star of the channel, but i have been playing Jun a lot lately too, she is the best grappler of the game, i plan on getting to know t8 bryan, something i haven't done yet in this game

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
He is the star of the channel, but i have been playing Jun a lot lately too, she is the best grappler of the game, i plan on getting to know t8 bryan, something i haven't done yet in this game
Yeah Jun is really good. By the way do you know how to beat Xiaoyu as Jin? I’m getting mixed. Most replays I find, the Jin player is experiencing the same thing.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Best grappler? Explain, breh.

By the way, is anyone else annoyed by the Tekken Shop? Look, I love the game and will most likely purchase a Lars costume, but do the servers really need to be offline for five hours just to add four skins?

I am just trying to play the game, Namco. Damn!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah Jun is really good. By the way do you know how to beat Xiaoyu as Jin? I’m getting mixed. Most replays I find, the Jin player is experiencing the same thing.
I have not faced Xiaoyu yet, our best Xiaoyu player is hiding her, but I know how mad broken she is with AoP
Best grappler? Explain, breh.

By the way, is anyone else annoyed by the Tekken Shop? Look, I love the game and will most likely purchase a Lars costume, but do the servers really need to be offline for five hours just to add four skins?

I am just trying to play the game, Namco. Damn!
You know jun isn't supposed to launch characters from standing position or crouching because her best launchers start at 16 frames right?

Well that's a lie, she has a 12f throw that comes from crouching, every single high she recognizes and ducks on reaction, she can launch the recovery frames with that throw, and since thow punishes are untechable in this game, they become far better than having certain moves launch, for example, every low in the game is at least -12, if the character recovers in standing position after the low gets blocked, the Jun player press 1+2 in that window, and can launch almost every low in the game.

As for the shop, I think there are areas in the game where SF is better, training mode is also among things that I feel like missing some stuff. not that it cannot be improved, it's by this time that I feel disappointed that NRS failed to meet expectations, they could easily cap where both capcom and namco failed, either in features, shop or training mode.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I have not faced Xiaoyu yet, our best Xiaoyu player is hiding her, but I know how mad broken she is with AoP

You know jun isn't supposed to launch characters from standing position or crouching because her best launchers start at 16 frames right?

Well that's a lie, she has a 12f throw that comes from crouching, every single high she recognizes and ducks on reaction, she can launch the recovery frames with that throw, and since thow punishes are untechable in this game, they become far better than having certain moves launch, for example, every low in the game is at least -12, if the character recovers in standing position after the low gets blocked, the Jun player press 1+2 in that window, and can launch almost every low in the game.

As for the shop, I think there are areas in the game where SF is better, training mode is also among things that I feel like missing some stuff. not that it cannot be improved, it's by this time that I feel disappointed that NRS failed to meet expectations, they could easily cap where both capcom and namco failed, either in features, shop or training mode.
Please upload it if you guys play. I get rushed down bad as Jin lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Yea very good point. I guess it's just frustrating because there seems like such a clearly defined wall that I haven't seen in a long time in a FG. Like in SF6 and MK there's a wall towards the Top but you can still reach the final ranks and I can at least hang or be competitive with players that live and breathe the game. But Tekken??? I get matched against a Tekken King or Tekken Emperor and it legit feels like they're reading my mind at times with perfectly timed duck launches, instant punishes on -11F but then also perfect optimal punish on -13F, sidestep directly between a string to full launch you the first time you use the string LOL. And if that's them I don't even want to imagine the God Ranks. The gap feels significantly larger, so I think I'm gonna have to learn to be comfortable with the middle Blue Ranks for now until I can gain more MU and game knowledge overall. Might be a while it seems haha.

Yea but "best" grappler is a bit of a stretch when King is like the ultimate grappler lol. Asuka can launch grab too, not gonna make her a great grappler. King is walking around with unbreakable grabs, 33/33/33 grabs that wall splat you or break ground. Grounded grabs. Air grabs that can grab you out of air moves. Crouching grabs. 50/50 chain grabs that can lead to 33/33/33. Heat initiating grabs. Among other grabbing things lol. Dude walks away with this, and Marduk is gonna be a monster grabber too when he drops.

Nina is in a similar boat with a super strong grab game that forces you against it due to her +F pressure. Hell I'd even argue guys like Dragonuv have an elite grab game, considering he can force you to react to grabs off his numerous ways to +F you and puts you in a 33/33/33 break. Jun's is good though but I wouldn't put it against the top grab games.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Where does the "mashing" conversation land in Tekken? I'm asking because while I hear people complaining while playing the game rewards mashing, some interesting things happen in Tekken that don't in other games.

Namely there isn't a block stun to mash OS during. An annoying source of mashing in a lot of games. If you want to try and poke out or in between something, you better be right about them having a gap or ending their pressure, or you are probably going to get counter hit into mad damage - then go complain about how rounds end fast in Tekken. When I hear people complain about mashing I'm kind of thinking both players mashed and one of them is kind of annoyed they are the one that ate all the damage because they weren't as "good at it" as it were.

Then there are also a lot of things that crush and if you are predictably going with highs to enforce your frame advantage, you might get crushed into counter hit for being predictable; which might be confused as "just mashing". It might be disrespectful pressing on negative frames, but you were kind of sending out an invitation.

To be clear, this happens to me a lot. I'm always wrong thinking people will end strings early, or just have no idea what their move sequence is and guessing badly about when it's my turn.

LEGEND

YES!
Where does the "mashing" conversation land in Tekken? I'm asking because while I hear people complaining while playing the game rewards mashing, some interesting things happen in Tekken that don't in other games.

Namely there isn't a block stun to mash OS during. An annoying source of mashing in a lot of games. If you want to try and poke out or in between something, you better be right about them having a gap or ending their pressure, or you are probably going to get counter hit into mad damage - then go complain about how rounds end fast in Tekken. When I hear people complain about mashing I'm kind of thinking both players mashed and one of them is kind of annoyed they are the one that ate all the damage because they weren't as "good at it" as it were.

Then there are also a lot of things that crush and if you are predictably going with highs to enforce your frame advantage, you might get crushed into counter hit for being predictable; which might be confused as "just mashing". It might be disrespectful pressing on negative frames, but you were kind of sending out an invitation.

To be clear, this happens to me a lot. I'm always wrong thinking people will end strings early, or just have no idea what their move sequence is and guessing badly about when it's my turn.
Tekken feels mash friendly because there are few forced guessing games. Just having +frames doesn't guarantee you anything like in most 2D fighters. Here being negative is just a slight reduction in your options or risk/reward.

People will often say things like "dude I was +7 why did you mash?". Simple answer is " because you never do any tracking moves / are always doing highs or slow mids"

Also, Offense is heavily favored most of the time. Just look at most DF2 or hopkick attacks. On hit you are likely to get about 80 damage and carry to a wall, on block you'll take what? 35?

Immortal

Blind justice....
Tekken feels mash friendly because there are few forced guessing games. Just having +frames doesn't guarantee you anything like in most 2D fighters.
I love when people doing it to me. I will happily eat two, three times a jab(coz that the most you can do to interrupt my slow mid after WR2) and than i just start doind df2 after WR2 and kill most people with a smile on my face. Most will stop mashing after eating 2-3 times full combo, so now they just respect my WR2 or/and b1+2 which means pressure city "all day, every day". ;)

LEGEND

YES!
I love when people doing it to me. I will happily eat two, three times a jab(coz that the most you can do to interrupt my slow mid after WR2) and than i just start doind df2 after WR2 and kill most people with a smile on my face. Most will stop mashing after eating 2-3 times full combo, so now they just respect my WR2 or/and b1+2 which means pressure city "all day, every day". ;)
exactly. This also leads to the mashing feel though. Its typical to play hyper safe and not do "punishable" things in 2D. So, people might feel cheated or like they got mashed on when they get hit by a "random" df2. "Why take the risk? You're just mashing bro."

Just explaining the casual experience. Not trying to make a point about Tekken being some sort of mash fest.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yea very good point. I guess it's just frustrating because there seems like such a clearly defined wall that I haven't seen in a long time in a FG. Like in SF6 and MK there's a wall towards the Top but you can still reach the final ranks and I can at least hang or be competitive with players that live and breathe the game. But Tekken??? I get matched against a Tekken King or Tekken Emperor and it legit feels like they're reading my mind at times with perfectly timed duck launches, instant punishes on -11F but then also perfect optimal punish on -13F, sidestep directly between a string to full launch you the first time you use the string LOL. And if that's them I don't even want to imagine the God Ranks. The gap feels significantly larger, so I think I'm gonna have to learn to be comfortable with the middle Blue Ranks for now until I can gain more MU and game knowledge overall. Might be a while it seems haha.

Yea but "best" grappler is a bit of a stretch when King is like the ultimate grappler lol. Asuka can launch grab too, not gonna make her a great grappler. King is walking around with unbreakable grabs, 33/33/33 grabs that wall splat you or break ground. Grounded grabs. Air grabs that can grab you out of air moves. Crouching grabs. 50/50 chain grabs that can lead to 33/33/33. Heat initiating grabs. Among other grabbing things lol. Dude walks away with this, and Marduk is gonna be a monster grabber too when he drops.

Nina is in a similar boat with a super strong grab game that forces you against it due to her +F pressure. Hell I'd even argue guys like Dragonuv have an elite grab game, considering he can force you to react to grabs off his numerous ways to +F you and puts you in a 33/33/33 break. Jun's is good though but I wouldn't put it against the top grab games.
You are saying King is the best grappler because he has the most throws.
I'm saying Jun is the best grappler because she can punish even the safest lows in the game with a throw launch and you can't break it, even king can't do that.
The point here is Jun punishment proficiency which is a skill required to play tekken, her it's somehow watered down, since in this game, any throw punish cannot be broken out of, it's like Akuma having crouching d2/d3~hadoken dash cancel combos, except this time Jun doesn't need meter, she just needs to throw the others in recovery frames.