What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

LEGEND

YES!
I think the Armor is way worse than the damage.

Can't hit them out of it because they're armored (will still take damage)
Can't grab them out of it
Can't Heat Smash through it

Oh and the bonus: You can do them per round.
yeah but without damage its just a reset to neutral that would still be launch punishable. If I burn my Heat for a Heat-dash into a guaranteed 50/50 to close out a round and they Rage with my changes I wouldn't care. Fair enough, we both used up a resource and are back to neutral. The way it is now I DIE lol.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I think the Armor is way worse than the damage.

Can't hit them out of it because they're armored (will still take damage)
Can't grab them out of it
Can't Heat Smash through it

Oh and the bonus: You can do them per round.
Yeah. I would like if they were once per match. But that may be an extreme change.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
yeah but without damage its just a reset to neutral that would still be launch punishable. If I burn my Heat for a Heat-dash into a guaranteed 50/50 to close out a round and they Rage with my changes I wouldn't care. Fair enough, we both used up a resource and are back to neutral. The way it is now I DIE lol.
I swear I thought in T7 you could jab and if they Rage you would be able to block in time to punish. Am I thinking of an alternate universe or was that the case before? If it was like that I wouldn't mind it as much because you could at least bait it better.

LEGEND

YES!
I swear I thought in T7 you could jab and if they Rage you would be able to block in time to punish. Am I thinking of an alternate universe or was that the case before? If it was like that I wouldn't mind it as much because you could at least bait it better.
Not sure. I played Tekken 7 for all of 30 minutes in training mode.

For my scenario you'd have to be using something like DF1 or D3/4 at least which surely won't recover in time no matter what character you are.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Not sure. I played Tekken 7 for all of 30 minutes in training mode.

For my scenario you'd have to be using something like DF1 or D3/4 at least which surely won't recover in time no matter what character you are.
My Rage baiting special is when far away just randomly sprint at them full speed and then stop. Has a 70% success rate at baiting the Rage the first time seen. :DOGE

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I deleted Tekken 7, so I cannot test the startup of rage arts, but I would not be surprised if they were slightly faster in Tekken 8.

The honeymoon phase for Tekken 8 is definitely over. LOL.

I do not understand the hysteria, though.

I prefer Tekken 8 over Tekken 7, but some players apparently want Tekken 8 to be Tekken 7.5.

After almost eight years, players are not allowed to play something different?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I deleted Tekken 7, so I cannot test the startup of rage arts, but I would not be surprised if they were slightly faster in Tekken 8.

I prefer Tekken 8 over Tekken 7, but some players apparently want Tekken 8 to be Tekken 7.5.

Yea same, it's like a run away train now. I get all the Battle Pass hate or not liking the random bugs, but the game is still really good. And I actually like Heat as it adds a cool new element to use offensively or defensively. The best new feature they've made in a long time. Like any game adjustments can be made and they already said the big balance patch is 1.04 coming soon so there's a lot of overreacting right now.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8

I would say this is a bit of a straw man. It’s not that the game is different, it’s that the game gives players much more value for less effort. The game also blatantly goads you into playing a certain way. So if you’re not an aggressive player, tough luck

Like Mishimas automatically having electric wind god fist in heat. Or a move that does 30%+ on hit, but is also plus if blocked. And has good startup, a huge hit box, and great tracking as well. (Heat smash)

A lot of the mind games and strategy creation has been thrown out of the window. Since certain options like side stepping throws have been taken away from the defender.

I really enjoy the game, but it has quite a few issues. And there are a lot of scrub friendly things in it. This is my first real tekken and again it’s super fun, but at times it makes me feel how mkx did.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I would say this is a bit of a straw man. It’s not that the game is different, it’s that the game gives players much more value for less effort. The game also blatantly goads you into playing a certain way. So if you’re not an aggressive player, tough luck
Yet spamming counter-hit launchers gave players less value for more effort in Tekken 7?

Speaking of which, Tekken 7 did not goad you into playing a certain way?

I enjoyed Tekken 7 for its defensive options and I currently enjoy Tekken 8 for its aggressiveness. However, the Tekken community is presently being divided by a a small yet angry faction who wants Tekken 8 to play like Tekken 7.1.

I reiterate that I enjoyed and played Tekken 7 for five+ years. I paid $120 to play something different, though.

The fact that a player like Arslan Ash has been crying on Twitter and on podcasts has not and will not change my mind about Tekken 8. I have been playing Tekken for 20+ years and I refuse to fall for the false narratives.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
Speaking of which, Tekken 7 did not goad you into playing a certain way?
no , it didnt. you could play it offensive or defensive on all levels and could "succeed". now with heat, its mixup potential, armored heat engager, strange tracking on said heat engagers everyone becomes a rushdown charackter at for at least the duration of heat.

tekken8 wants you to play aggressive and be in the face of your opponent as much as possible while they nerfed simple things like backdashes to get out of said situation or not into em at all.

edit: and not to forget stage hazards which with the wall carry in some cases alone due to heat adds up to the damage you get. trying to poke, being deffensive is not really encouraged especially when you clash with the armored heat engagers.

that you look at this game and dont see all the issues and call arslan someone who is nothing else but a guy who cries on twitter...

Last edited:

molambo

(X ౪ X )
you could and now in t8 you can try..with some luck it might not hit you but its very inconsistend and especially online you get hit all the time by the rageart when you try to bait it with a simple 1...

you could and now in t8 you can try..with some luck it might not hit you but its very inconsistend and especially online you get hit all the time by the rageart when you try to bait it with a simple 1...
This. Unless the jab is already out, you are not blocking the RA in time.

Random question before I get home to test it. Have they removed all unique tackle related defensive options? Was playing a mirror match offline with a friend and I couldnt do any of that kind of stuff.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
no , it didnt. you could play it offensive or defensive on all levels and could "succeed"...
You can play any Tekken game defensively or offensively. The question is, which gameplay style has generally been stronger in previous Tekken games? This question has an incredibly easy answer, yet the irony is that many of the most broken characters in Tekken history do not even have the best offensive tools in their respective games. For example, Tekken 4 Steve barely has any low attacks that players nowadays are familiar with. However, Tekken 4 lacks the "crush system" (i.e., a generic d+4 does not beat a jab) while any attack that cancels into Flicker has no recovery frames on whiff. Can you imagine how broken quick hook (modern b+1~b but d+1~b in Tekken 4) is? The character is essentially unapproachable. The defensive on 1,2,1~b and quick hook is godly. Tekken Tag 1 Heihachi, who has a special mid-hitting EWGF, is broken defensively for similar reasons. I could name various other examples. Obviously, Tekken 7's defense is not on the same terms as Tekken Tag 1's or Tekken 4's, but high level players generally agree that the game's meta revolves around movement, counter hits, and low parries.

Namco releases Tekken 8 in which offense seems stronger than defense for the very first time and people are losing their minds. In spite of the complaining and hyperbole, tournament numbers seem unaffected. Tekken 8 is presently leading Combo Breaker in registration numbers.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
Namco releases Tekken 8 in which offense seems stronger than defense for the very first time and people are losing their minds. In spite of the complaining and hyperbole, tournament numbers seem unaffected. Tekken 8 is presently leading Combo Breaker in registration numbers.
Seems stronger is very deemphasized...
Because the people who complain about it still play it and attend said tourneys while at the same time hope things change to get better? T8 Leading Combo Breaker Reg Numbers mean what exactly? Its a new Game, CB is not Part of the CPT and Mk1 isnt doing so well...

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
man tekken is a total mess after the patch... wow. worst patch ever.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
It's a great game, but then again, corporate shit and untested changes it's what gives this sour taste in our mouth.
I'm just not really enjoying playing kaz at the moment. He needs some issues fixed.
Df 12 wiffs randomly, his t rex jab and why nerf hevens gate? If dvj is too good nerf his. Kaz only gets it in heat.
I hope it gets better. Might try out some other characters.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Game is still great. Previous patch was bit of a mess but they fixed some things with the latest one.

Its been a rough 3 weeks for me. I feel like i learned a lot in specific character match ups but didn't ranked up much. Bouncing between Kishin and Bushin at the moment. Still some knowledge checks and gimmicks kill me(mostly vs Jun, Eddy, Lars) i need to lab more and play more people. That being said i enjoy the game very much and didn't look back at MK1 since T8 released.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Game is still great. Previous patch was bit of a mess but hey fixed some things with the latest one.

Its been a rough 3 weeks for me. I feel like i learned a lot in specific character match ups but didn't ranked up much. Bouncing between Kishin and Bushin at the moment. Still some knowledge checks and gimmicks kill me(mostly vs Jun, Eddy, Lars) i need to lab more and play more people. That being said i enjoy the game very much and didn't look back at MK1 since T8 released.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Thanks, i've already labbed him and know what to do, thou my options are more restrictive since i don't have Jins parry(i main Dragunov). While he still annoys me to fight against he is nowhere near as bad for me as a good Jun players.