What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
From what I'm seeing, it's probably a good thing I don't tend to go online for a day or two while I figure some stuff out.

Other than the online stuff people are running into, I've not had any issues with basic labbing and local play on PC. Streamers trying to run online matches are going through it.

I'm guessing they will sort that out pretty quick

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Really want to try out Tekken 8, but games are too expensive these days for me to buy each one on release. Based on what I'm hearing though, it seems I should have saved my MK1 money for this instead.

A few personal gripes i have with the tekken 8 system,heat engagers always activate heat meaning if you dont want to activate heat,you cant use those moves haha,i wish it was a manual choice where you do the move and not enter heat if you dont want to.For example you cant do demon paw(ff2)with devil jin without automatically entering heat,also cant do up forward 4 and so on.
Also wall combos seem to be very finecky,in tekken 7 they were much more consistent.

cfw

Toys can't save you!
This is quite literally the most fun I've had with a tekken game since tekken 6 wowzers

Nobody wants to play Tekken Ball online with me so I play MK1 for an hour then I switch to T8 and try again, Still nothing. I give up for normal matches and get matched with a handful of people before I call it a night.

I'd rather play Tekken Ball online than T8 but it looks like nobody wants to play the fun side mode. Very interesting.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Ok so my first day in ranked. I'm half way through the yellows and my thoughts so far.
This game is really fun so far.
It seems like everybody is op but in a best of three it seems to work.
The defensive element is still there but it seems your defence really gets tested when your opponent activates heat.
Weird note my bnb with kaz is ewgf ewgf b22 df12 dash 31 cancel cd3

If I pewgf the b22 wiffs.
Still looking for the max damage off pewgf

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@Eddy Wang and other tekken veterans, what do you think about the huge movelists of every character? does everything make a sense or is half of it redundant/useless?
About 10-15 moves are used in the neutral, which normally includes jabs, d/f+1s, d/f+2s, low pokes that tend to be -12 to -13 on block, etc.

Some strings are only used as combo fillers, combo enders, wall carry, wall combo enders, etc.

Some normal attacks and/strings are high risk/high reward that must consequently be used wisely/scarcely.

Some strings are gimmicks and hence used rarely.

Some normal attacks and/or strings are used to break walls or floors.

A handful of normal attacks/strings are useless, indeed.

Throws can be escaped on reaction at a high level. Only a select few are considered mix ups.

Etc.

Tekken is a perversely (debatably wrong adverb) fighting game.

I have been playing Tekken since 1995, mostly as a scrub yet also semi competitively. I still cannot fight characters like Hwoarang, Lei, Ling, Yoshi, etc. who have extensive (150+) move lists... almost thirty years later.

Ok so my first day in ranked. I'm half way through the yellows and my thoughts so far.
This game is really fun so far.
It seems like everybody is op but in a best of three it seems to work.
The defensive element is still there but it seems your defence really gets tested when your opponent activates heat.
Weird note my bnb with kaz is ewgf ewgf b22 df12 dash 31 cancel cd3

If I pewgf the b22 wiffs.
Still looking for the max damage off pewgf
whats the damage of your combo,im doing
ewgf ewgf 31cancle df321 b221+2 and it does 74 damage ,the 31 cancle into cd3 ender whiffs but it may be possible on some off axis type conversion or maybe if you micro side step after the bound but im not able to do it.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
whats the damage of your combo,im doing
ewgf ewgf 31cancle df321 b221+2 and it does 74 damage ,the 31 cancle into cd3 ender whiffs but it may be possible on some off axis type conversion or maybe if you micro side step after the bound but im not able to do it.
74 also but leaves you close.

After that azazel fight I was fully expecting a ancient ogre boss fight in that sanctum stage when jin got there and passed out hahah sadly only in cutscenese,man with all the references hes got to be dlc.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Is there some conversational explanation that has been had over why there is not a "punish" indicator?

There was one in T7 but only in training so I assumed there was some deliberate reason it wasn't in actual matches. The timing on punishes can tight and as a spectator it's not really something you can be expected to know. Even if you know the punish for something, and they get hit, do you or those watching REALLY know if they got hit because you got the punish or they just got hit? You can't reinforce correct timing through actual play, and in a game with this much going on, it seems perfectly reasonable to let players discover and reinforce punish options.

It's such a simple, practical, and powerful QoL feature that has existed in the game at some point, I'd like to know why it's not there, or if there is some other way you are supposed to "know" this information. If the reason is they(Devs, or playerbase) just want you to know your shit, that seems unnecessary.

Is there some conversational explanation that has been had over why there is not a "punish" indicator?

There was one in T7 but only in training so I assumed there was some deliberate reason it wasn't in actual matches. The timing on punishes can tight and as a spectator it's not really something you can be expected to know. Even if you know the punish for something, and they get hit, do you or those watching REALLY know if they got hit because you got the punish or they just got hit? You can't reinforce correct timing through actual play, and in a game with this much going on, it seems perfectly reasonable to let players discover and reinforce punish options.

It's such a simple, practical, and powerful QoL feature that has existed in the game at some point, I'd like to know why it's not there, or if there is some other way you are supposed to "know" this information. If the reason is they(Devs, or playerbase) just want you to know your shit, that seems unnecessary.
i dont know why but the game also lacks other QoL. in practice there is no move data in the menu, only on screen if you execute it. makes developing a char very tedious.

I just came across one of the first people I added on PSN. Got destroyed for about 2 hours but it felt great just to get a long session in. Tried to chill out with some Tekken Ball after. They need to stop the heat engager zoom when using those moves in this mode, it messes with your vision when trying to hit the ball.