What's new

TAG MODE in MK X: Community's request

TAG MODE in MK X: Vote for it!

• MK X needs TAG MODE!

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 67 46.9%

• Total voters
Tag is a great tool for people who just wanna mess up a bit. People will have to remember that MK is not only about us hardcores, but casuals too !!!
Damn, I've just played a few matches with my friends. If it was only 1vs1 my casual friends wouldn't play with me, simply because the level gap is too wide.

d3v

SRK
The problem with tag modes is that more often then not, the game needs to be designed around tag for it to work well. Either that, or have tag mode play quite different from normal mode with changed properties and new mechanics (for example, DOA5U's tag mode has lower gravity plus a new snapback mechanic to address the slippery slope nature of tag, allowing one character to mount a comeback by killing off one combo). Just slapping on a tag team mode without consideration for how tag affects the flow of the match doesn't work as well.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
The problem with tag modes is that more often then not, the game needs to be designed around tag for it to work well. Either that, or have tag mode play quite different from normal mode with changed properties and new mechanics (for example, DOA5U's tag mode has lower gravity plus a new snapback mechanic to address the slippery slope nature of tag, allowing one character to mount a comeback by killing off one combo). Just slapping on a tag team mode without consideration for how tag affects the flow of the match doesn't work as well.
Tag mode in MK was imbalanced for tournament play, but it was a lot of fun, and we used it a LOT to get 4 people on one setup at a time.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I would love TAG with option to play with 4 people different people online and offline, that would allow some nice team play, team tournaments and so on...

but...

balancing TAG with every character having 3 variations would be a nightmare for NRS and i definitely don't want broken shit like in MK9.

So it depends, if they have time and money to do it properly then sure go for it otherwise they should focus on some other important things like for example - netcode.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I would be a fan of tag in MKX, but with the character variations along with tag, its just too much.
I just dont see them putting the time or the money into it.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
To everyone saying no, don't be so selfish. Its not like tag mode is going to be the main focus of the game. 1 v 1 will always be the preferred mode. However having tag mode as a side mode is perfectly fine. Tag mode is extremely fun. If you don't want to play it, that's fine, but don't ruin it for those of us who like it and want it in the game.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Nah they're clearly going for something serious/dark. Tag mode would just seem goofy and unfitting. Especially with the variation concept. Sub v1 teamed up with Sub v2? No thanks.

They can always add it in an update I guess but it shouldn't be a priority imo.

Like many people have suggested before, I'd rather have a 3v3 KOF style team mode.
How is two people killing two other people any goofier than one person killing one other person?

I mean, tag isn't really a must-have for me, but i'd gladly take it if they actually balance it.

No. Spend the time and resources creating something actually useful like better netcode, a solid tournament mode and lobbies that can be customised down to details like slots, ping, region etc.

Tag, whilst kinda fun was a broken mess that no-one took seriously.
Tag isn't really a "time and resources" kind of thing, of course they cant put it in instantly, but it isn't something that would be a substantial drain from anything else they'd be working on.

Balancing it would take a bit of time though, but that also isn't something that would take a large group to do.

Hell, they could balance it by just removing the ability to do assists and make the team combos notably stricter and scaled.

Last edited:
That interview quote was disturbing...

I don't think it was underused at all- it was just mainly used offline. Its what made MK a good party game. It was also good for couch co-op.

It doesn't need to be balanced or anything, but just there for fun.

I really hope they include it. We were told this game would add features, not take them away.
Awesome point there!!!!!!

GRieVeR_SKeiTH

bad player
Tag mode and Chess Kombat are my two favorite alternate modes introduced in fighting games. I hope we see both, even if its dlc

biggabarr

chilling
I really don't mind but i'd rather have NRS focus on single player mechanics to be good right out of the game , tag mode is really casual stuff for fun so them working on it would mean take away time even if it's little.

Never really used tag personally even at gatherings , i think i've played tag twice in 3 years...
Dont be selfish , majority of mk players are casual player Ed is out too satisfy the mass remember that.

khrome

Master of The Universe
I like Tag mode I just don't like how it was done. One life bar for both characters should be the way to go. Or no Tag mode in MKX please

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
While I do want Tag, if resources can be better used elsewhere( ex. better netcode) then I dont mind it not being included.

Crathen

Death is my business
Dont be selfish , majority of mk players are casual player Ed is out too satisfy the mass remember that.
Even judging from the online stats , you'd have to think way more people play single than tag.

Imo a barebone tag wouldn't live up to the standards MKX wants to be , even balancing tag would be a huge commitment of time , it's not selfish , it's rational.

To me if it's in then cool , if it's not a deal breaker.

I really like tag mode in MK9, especially with 3 other friends. But a lot of the tag specials (like those with standing stun - Nightwolf, Scorpion, etc) make the game totally broken with many infinite combos. So I say bring back Tag mode 4 player, keep the tag at anytime, keep the tag switch string combos, but don't bring back tag specials. Balancing the game with tag specials will be too much work for nothing of value, even worse now with all of the variations, it will be a nightmare.

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
Yes please bring it back. Personally I would like to see endurance style tag. That would cause less glitches and it would stick with the MK style. Also I think asking the hardcore tournament players about tag mode is the wrong crowd. Asking casuals would be the better gauge and it would be the majority of buyers.

Yes please bring it back. Personally I would like to see endurance style tag. That would cause less glitches and it would stick with the MK style. Also I think asking the hardcore tournament players about tag mode is the wrong crowd. Asking casuals would be the better gauge and it would be the majority of buyers.

That's true

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
If it is included, you'll only be using it at home with friends or online. Ain't happening in tournaments. Pass. Didn't use it in mk9. This isn't tekken tag