What's new

TAG MODE in MK X: Community's request

TAG MODE in MK X: Vote for it!

• MK X needs TAG MODE!

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 67 46.9%

• Total voters
I'm in favor of tag mode because I remember a few people passing up Injustice just for lacking it. There's definitely still a lot of gamers who only want to play something for a few weekends with friends and move on. Damn normal people!
I was one of the people who bypassed injustice for this. I love getting skilled and leveling up, but if I can't play with my bros, fuck it.

I wouldn't sacrifice anything to include tag mode of course.
However if they plan to put ridiculous/party modes like test your luck or motor kombat, why not include TAG which is closer to core gameplay than any other mode?

Last edited:

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Hello everyone.
Mr. Boon recently stated that TAG MODE ain't completely off the table yet, but it was underused in MK9:

http://www.trmk.org/features/interview_mortal_kombat_x_ed_boon_e3_2014/2/

These late weeks we're all on fire about MKX, and requested/ discussed all kind of stuff: B2B- BB, Run- No run, crazy favorite characters, nerfs and buffs predictions etc.
Now let's talk about something that really matters in terms of gameplay: TAG MODE

I understand many didn't like it because of it's "brokeness". Some others don't even want it as a feature.
I respect that... However it's an important feature for all types of gamers. Some examples:

1. Offline or even online for 4 friends is hella fun and super hype.
2. Helps to get familiar with different MU's on the fly.
3. Provides the ability to keep in touch with 2 of your mains or even level up.
4. Many high lvl and tournament players take advantage of tag mode when practicing.
5. It can provide a bigger lifespan of the game to casual players.
6. Makes arcade ladder more interesting.
7. Crazy possibilities with the new "Character variations" gameplay.

Let's all make this happen. Even players who aren't fans won't be bothered if it finally makes the cut…
I trust the community is full of smart people.
Peace and love everyone!
I only voted yes because it's fun now and adds diversity to keep mk9 alive at time's online plus it helps to get a friend into the game.
When it comes to tournament and tag if it's like mk9 it's just to broken but for fun and a casual thing I say nrs should do it but don't waste to many resources to balance it. I will even be happy with an endurance vs like snes mk2, mk3 & umk3 had when holding I think L & R as u started the game. U couldn't tag but still it was fun imo

I wouldn't sacrifice anything to include tag mode of course.
However if they plan to put ridiculous/party modes like test your luck or motor kombat, why not include TAG which is closer to core gameplay than any other modes.
Oh yea if we're agreeing to add one gimmicky feature because it's needed for casuals than I'd take tag over the other stuff like StarLabs, Puzzle Kombat or any other random crap that doesn't really enhance the core game, but if you're saying that they take time out to develop this over the betterment of the base game than, I'd vote no.

Oh yea if we're agreeing to add one gimmicky feature because it's needed for casuals than I'd take tag over the other stuff like StarLabs, Puzzle Kombat or any other random crap that doesn't really enhance the core game, but if you're saying that they take time out to develop this over the betterment of the base game than, I'd vote no.
This is exactly what I'm thinking.
I've edited my main post to clear things up.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I don't think there could be anything going wrong with including Tag. It doesn't need to be balanced, just tack it on there for fun. Fighting games need more features that will make it enjoyable for more than 2 people anyways.

As I've said before, I'd rather have modes where you actually PLAY instead of stupid gimmicks like The Challenge Tower or TestYourMight.

They don't really have to put much time into it. Just allow for 4 controllers to play the mode and make stance switch swap characters.

The only reason I got into fighting games was MK9's tag mode. My friends and I would all play it together and it really made me want to improve at the game. I mean if it's going to take a lot of time to do I guess don't add it but they don't need to add the switch in combos or anything

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I don't give a shit about tag mode personally, or really any of the extra modes they try to cram in there. STAR Labs was the most frustrating, not fun mode I've ever played in a fighter. I did it simply for the extra skins. I don't want to feel like I'm working when I'm playing a game. It needs to be FUN.

Having said that, if people want tag mode...throw it in. Just don't waste any time on it. My friends are all really awful at MK but they love the tag mode, so it's definitely something casuals will enjoy. Personally, I'd MUCH rather see some sort of customization mode for characters. It would be awesome to be able to have a completely different look for each variation of your character. I wouldn't want it as crazy as Tekken's customization is, but even a color editor would be sweet.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Just dash and xray. I got 20+ xrays and over 150% damage lol. Works best in corners, but you can do the loop full screen. Also if you do cryax's xray as P1 in training, you can make him disappear. After that hit back/select and you can use him while invisible until you switch characters or xray.
I've turned sub-zero invisible before with one of the mk123 costumes. Also did sheeva stomp tag assist into lao F+3 into xray. Hell/Netherrealm stage is good because it's a short stage.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
To quote my RL friend deathblooms2k4, MK9 Tag mode was a way for two people of very different skill levels to play together and get enjoyment out of it. While I spent hours upon hours in training mode and going to tournaments, deathblooms took the game much more casually so when we were in the same place we'd do online tag; he could try to see how far he could get against the opponents and I'd play cleanup. Sometimes it'd end up that I just had to tickle the opponent to win, sometimes I had to essentially beat 2 people at once - in short IT WAS FUN and it was awesome when either he beat the opponents or I beat them. It was a cooperative experience in a completely broken game mode. It was designed to not be taken seriously and good lord is that a good thing in a video game.

KEEP IT IN, NRS!

To quote my RL friend deathblooms2k4, MK9 Tag mode was a way for two people of very different skill levels to play together and get enjoyment out of it. While I spent hours upon hours in training mode and going to tournaments, deathblooms took the game much more casually so when we were in the same place we'd do online tag; he could try to see how far he could get against the opponents and I'd play cleanup. Sometimes it'd end up that I just had to tickle the opponent to win, sometimes I had to essentially beat 2 people at once - in short IT WAS FUN and it was awesome when either he beat the opponents or I beat them. It was a cooperative experience in a completely broken game mode. It was designed to not be taken seriously and good lord is that a good thing in a video game.

KEEP IT IN, NRS!

And that's a great example of how the "broken"and "casual" TAG can be fun.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Tag Kombat, more importantly, Co-Op Tag was really the only reason I played the game after completing Story Mode and beating the ladder with my faves. My friends and I have 0 interest in fighting each other so we would absolutely love it to come back.

Lord knows I never went back to Injustice and never even bothered playing it with friends.

MisterSpyker

The 6'4 King
Tag mode is easily the only reason I'm playing MK9 now. The online is terrible, so I just play co-op ladders and tag team matches with irl friends. Even without irl friends I prefer to play tag ladders. Vry fun to pair up characters and use my creativity to make interesting tag combos. Speaking of that, if NRS just gives me tag mode without tag combos or anything else, Id be more than satisfied. Tag is the reason no1 asks me to bring Injustice to a gaming night with friends, even though we all think it's a better game. If NRS drop the ball again, I will be seriously pissed. Tag is underused because NRS are probably using online statistics, and practically noone played tag online

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Tag was a gimmick that hardly anyone used. There is literally no reason for them to bring it back besides "give me what I want" lol the game is fine without it

If a tag mode can be implemented in 1 day then sure but if they have to actually take time away from working on other things to do it, fuck that lol I would have rather had brutalities in MK9 than tag

MisterSpyker

The 6'4 King
Tag was a gimmick that hardly anyone used. There is literally no reason for them to bring it back besides "give me what I want" lol the game is fine without it

If a tag mode can be implemented in 1 day then sure but if they have to actually take time away from working on other things to do it, fuck that lol I would have rather had brutalities in MK9 than tag
How can you honestly believe that Tag mode takes time away from developing other important things... Either other important things, or test your strike, test your might, challenge tower, etc...

It's just the option to play with two characters, no1 even asked for tag combos, I doubt it could take more than 3 days to implement
Hardly anyone used? More than half of TyM wants it back. Imagine how casuals feel about it.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
How can you honestly believe that Tag mode takes time away from developing other important things... Either other important things, or test your strike, test your might, challenge tower, etc...

It's just the option to play with two characters, no1 even asked for tag combos, I doubt it could take more than 3 days to implement
Hardly anyone used? More than half of TyM wants it back. Imagine how casuals feel about it.
challenge tower was fine. ive never developed a game so why would you assume that i know how much time it takes to impliment a feature? and i said if it just takes a day sure throw it in, if not dont waste time/space on it.
tym doesnt represent everyone or even the majority of people who played the game, some casuals liked it, some didnt, im pretty sure boon himself said it wasnt used that much

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Under used in MK9? MK9 IMO had a better Tag Mode than SF X T and TTT2 I know they are different games but the thing that differs MK9 Tag Mode from those two that, If one of your character gets beaten the other character you use can still be used, unlike in SF X T and TTT2. Im not hating on those games, but that was the only thing I hated in those games.

trufenix

bye felicia
Unrelated but, damn;

Ed Boon said:
You know we've been going to all these tournaments and I've personally seen a few things. Like people accidentally bringing up the pause screen or doing button checks.
Even Ed puts PL on blast.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I thoroughly played it yesterday at a friends house.
Great times, hilarity.
You people are saying (dumb) stuff like "DwedDweh Focus on other things that make the game better"
When tag on its own would easily make the game better for millions of people.
More content is good.
Bring Test Your Luck online, too. There are no negatives.
Keep things fresh, give variety that IGAU lacked, please.
Honestly, the amount of couch four player games that exist are fading. MKX can capitalize on this in great ways, just like MK9 did, by being one of the go-to party games and fighters, by simply including tag mode.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Complaint #1: My one main gripe with MK9's tag mode was that for a match to end, you needed to deplete both of your opponent's life meters. That's stupid.

Each character you choose should have their own life meter. However, when one depletes (not both), your opponent should win that round. Not only does this make matches quicker, but it forces the player to switch out more often and strategize. As it is in MK9, every match just seems like an endurance match, which is not very fun, imo.

Complaint #2: This one's a given: tag mode was broken. So many infinites and ridiculous combos. Mind you, MK9 was primarily a 1v1 fighter, not like Street Fighter x Tekken, so NRS didn't have to worry about patching this shit. Still, this is a big turn off. Perhaps the mode would be more viable if the damage of combos, in general, were reduced in MKX's tag mode.

Complaint #3: The next issue I had with MK9's tag mode was simply the online netcode. It was laggier than 1v1 matches for some reason. I dunno if this was a personal problem though. I admit, my connection is awful.