What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

zoofs

bless
F4 xx ex statue, what are the frames on this thing? It doesn't jail or anything, but +2 or +3? Combined with the statue, I'm shredding Jax's ex dash fist with a b2 follow up.

Also, I guess GM players are using b33 ex ice blast in the corner, to stay safe on block. If you're one of those people, why not use b33 ex frost bomb? Still safe-ish, no gap between low and freeze, way more damage (b33 xx frost bomb, b2, d1, b12 xx clone, njp, jip, f12). If we're spending meter at all, this seems like the way to go.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's more plus than 2 or 3.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's more plus than 2 or 3.
That's my bad, I'm just waking up here lol. Yeah it'd have to be if Sub can swing that 17f b2 and hit Jax's 10f reversal before the hit comes out. That seems pretty significant, to the point where it's a guaranteed 50/50 in the corner, as it would break most armor attempts.

EDIT: f4 xx statue, forward dash makes Jax's reversal dash fist whiff right though SZ's face. iFrames?

zoofs

bless
That's my bad, I'm just waking up here lol. Yeah it'd have to be if Sub can swing that 17f b2 and hit Jax's 10f reversal before the hit comes out. That seems pretty significant, to the point where it's a guaranteed 50/50 in the corner, as it would break most armor attempts.

EDIT: f4 xx statue, forward dash makes Jax's reversal dash fist whiff right though SZ's face. iFrames?
I was almost positive it jails to slide/d4 so 10f or so seems about right

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
If you haven't seen it already...
http://testyourmight.com/threads/sz-corner-game.57170/

To go along with this, we should look into which normals and strings that, when canceled into clone, place the clone at a similar distance as in the videos (such that b2 won't cause a freeze on hit and opens up the possibility for shatter combos... Which we may also want to talk about again).

flappysamyhamy

EMPEROR FLAPPY / EGGPLANT
its still useful for learning the gm basics but you should definitely look around the forums a lot and possibly just mess around with the char for a while in practice or watch some recent grandmaster gameplay to figure things out
Don't watch Zoofs he sucks twitch.tv/flappysamyhamy

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'm expanding my corner gimmicks a little bit, thought I'd share one of my findings. Slide knockdown > freeze (corner) is the option I'm playing with.

The train of thought is that from far behind (close) clone, an opponent expects SZ to either b2 or 12, due to their ranges. Opponents can block high for b2 until they see SZ jab, then block low in anticipation of the lunging low. SZ could also jab, then b2 in an attempt to bait the low block... But that's pretty slow, and wouldn't work more than a few times.

At this point, SZ can use the option of slide to knock down into clone for a ~30% damage combo (slide > clone freeze, NJP, 4, 1, 123 xx slide) or the typical set up combo into f12 ender.

If blocked, this can be punished by some odd things that reach through clone, which is frustrating. But I feel like there is something to this type technique.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
I'm expanding my corner gimmicks a little bit, thought I'd share one of my findings. Slide knockdown > freeze (corner) is the option I'm playing with.

The train of thought is that from far behind (close) clone, an opponent expects SZ to either b2 or 12, due to their ranges. Opponents can block high for b2 until they see SZ jab, then block low in anticipation of the lunging low. SZ could also jab, then b2 in an attempt to bait the low block... But that's pretty slow, and wouldn't work more than a few times.

At this point, SZ can use the option of slide to knock down into clone for a ~30% damage combo (slide > clone freeze, NJP, 4, 1, 123 xx slide) or the typical set up combo into f12 ender.

If blocked, this can be punished by some odd things that reach through clone, which is frustrating. But I feel like there is something to this type technique.
@crosshair271 has been doing this to me for either two or three months, it seems rather effective once you get the hang of it.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
@crosshair271 has been doing this to me for either two or three months, it seems rather effective once you get the hang of it.
We should spread the word if it's really worth doing. I mean the new air freeze corner combo alone is worth something.

Another thing worth looking into is just how + an opponent being pushed into clone while blocking really is.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face

Dat MK9 tech.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

This is actually pretty good

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
F4 xx ex statue, what are the frames on this thing? It doesn't jail or anything, but +2 or +3? Combined with the statue, I'm shredding Jax's ex dash fist with a b2 follow up.

Also, I guess GM players are using b33 ex ice blast in the corner, to stay safe on block. If you're one of those people, why not use b33 ex frost bomb? Still safe-ish, no gap between low and freeze, way more damage (b33 xx frost bomb, b2, d1, b12 xx clone, njp, jip, f12). If we're spending meter at all, this seems like the way to go.
Def read based. You don't wanna be -10 against some chars lol

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Def read based. You don't wanna be -10 against some chars lol
Yeah, this is some Erron Black yolo-type stuff I'm looking at. SZ himself can 11 punish it right through clones face so, I'm not sure how useful it'll end up. If nothing else, it's a true OH/ low mix up at b2's max range.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah, this is some Erron Black yolo-type stuff I'm looking at. SZ himself can 11 punish it right through clones face so, I'm not sure how useful it'll end up. If nothing else, it's a true OH/ low mix up at b2's max range.
Yeah they don't expect it if used sparingly. If the opponent sees SZ run in, they block low and get ready to tech a throw, it is definitely worthwhile in certain conditions imo. It gives them a low to think about at a longer range, opening them up for B2 based shatter combos.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
At the cost of meter, but covering your bases to be safe. Not bad. GM Sub doesn't really need as much meter in the corner anyway. Can possibly be used as a conditioning tool. Like ex fb is on the table, you gotta guess if you wanna let go of block and armor

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
At the cost of meter, but covering your bases to be safe. Not bad. GM Sub doesn't really need as much meter in the corner anyway. Can possibly be used as a conditioning tool. Like ex fb is on the table, you gotta guess if you wanna let go of block and armor
That'ss why you only do exFB when you have two bars breh. ExFB blocked? EXFB!