What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Healthy skepticism is always a good quality when you're going to submit a finding to the masses. It loops into itself because the opponent doesn't block, the hit counter resets and everything :p

Healthy skepticism is always a good quality when you're going to submit a finding to the masses. It loops into itself because the opponent doesn't block, the hit counter resets and everything :p
Yeah, if the block doesn't come out it's an infinite. Maybe I should try testing strings out at a better time than 1AM lol

So it's an infinite against noobs, maybe? :p

I do need help figuring out something. Suppose I try to start off a combo with f122 or njp. I go into f42throw and try using ex-hammer. It never comes out, though, even when I execute the hammer input like I normally do out of f42throw. What's up with that?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I do use this as an "infinite"cheese strat vs. newer players. Gets the Quitality almost every time.

It seems like the best time to input the hammer from f42 1+3 is in between last two hits (right before Sub Zero stabs the opponent with both daggers). I've never had an issue with this personally, the cancel window seems huge. Also, if you haven't already, go into wireless controller preset and turn release check and alternate controls "off." Then turn input short cuts "on." Make sure to select ""save" afterwards. This should alleviate a lot of input troubles.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
You gotta input the db2 right after the f42throw , jus like if you were doing b12xxicebal
And hey why not a throw iceball infinite , subby had one in mk1 lol

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Ree is right the input window is massive I just find it works easiest for me to input it seemlessly like any other special cancel

No, I mean for some reason I can cancel into the hammer when I go into it right from the combo, but if I start with something else, like NJP or f122, then for some reason I'm never able to get the cancel. It's weird.

EDIT: I can't cancel into anything for some reason. Like I said, if I go right into f42throw xx whatever, that works. But if I do njp f42throw xx whatever, it doesn't cancel for anything. Same if I start with f122. Pretty confused right now.

My settings are only input shortcuts on.

What is the timing for a hammer or iceball cancel after Cold Blooded? I've tried before the throw animation, during the throw animation and after the throw animation and it doesn't come out. .-.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
What is the timing for a hammer or iceball cancel after Cold Blooded? I've tried before the throw animation, during the throw animation and after the throw animation and it doesn't come out. .-.
You can only cancel it into the hammer or the EX hammer, as far as I know. Maybe do the whole thing as if it were one string: F42 1+3 DB2 : I think that's how I did it when I tried Cryomancer a while ago.

medleyoz

Noob
Input the hammer/slide/iceball while you are doing the stabbing on screen after you have grabbed the opponent. You have a lot of time to cancel it pretty much right up to the end of the cold blooded string's animation ending. So just basically watch for the grab of the cold blooded to connect then input the special move.

You can only cancel it into the hammer or the EX hammer, as far as I know. Maybe do the whole thing as if it were one string: F42 1+3 DB2 : I think that's how I did it when I tried Cryomancer a while ago.
Not correct You can cancel into slide as well. Not sure about Iceball as I don't typically use that but Hammer is just the best damage option to use

Sorry, I know it only works with EX, but I always try it as a whole combo string, for example F4-2-1+3 (before knives animation starts) -DB2 EX, and it still doesn't come out

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
Well, it came out once while I was reading medleyoz's reply... guess I'll keep trying
I just tested it for you. You can do it as I said: F42 1+3 DB2 all as if it were one string and it comes out. You can also wait for the grab to start and do DB2.

Adagost

yard's best Ice cream
Okay, I've been trying many things and I've found out that it will never come out if the beginning of my combo has the opponent in a juggle
You have to be strict on the input, any additional input will screw up the cancel.

Very annoying when you come from games like Street Fighter, took me some time to figure it out.

Lokheit

Noob
You can input the hammer right after using the throw button for Cold Blooded, or wait longer and it will still work.

You have to make sure you press Down, Back, 2 quick enough and with no other inputs.

The only cancel that has tricky timing is X-Ray that has to be used right when Subbie is removing the knives.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I like to input the hammer/ ex hammer in between the 3rd and 4th stab in cold blooded. It helps me stay consistent with my inputs.

I also like to use ex ice blast with the same timing (if I haven't already used freeze). You can extend damage to close out a match or go for a +29 standing reset with jip, f12... +29 guys, that's amazing for a bar. Kung Lao, Quan Chi and Shinnok use a bar for less advantage than that on block.

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
I like to input the hammer/ ex hammer in between the 3rd and 4th stab in cold blooded. It helps me stay consistent with my inputs.

I also like to use ex ice blast with the same timing (if I haven't already used freeze). You can extend damage to close out a match or go for a +29 standing reset with jip, f12... +29 guys, that's amazing for a bar. Kung Lao, Quan Chi and Shinnok use a bar for less advantage than that on block.
I like ending corner combos with f421+3xx ex hammer, f421+3 xx ex ice ball. It's somewhat spendy costing two bars but from here you can either jip, f12 for standing reset, or do jip f421+3 xx hammer for ~45-50% damage+hkd.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Hi everyone! I recently (yesterday) picked up Cryo (I main D'vorah and Tremor, and yes, I'm aware this is a big step down in tiers). Have really enjoyed playing it. I've been trying to utilize some of the base info from the start of this thread (d1/3/4 pokes, b2 combos, b33/f33 combos, all of the b12, etc) but have no idea if I'm optimizing (or even close). Getting 32-33% meterless (no jump in), 43 1 bar off of b2, 31/39% meterless/1bar off of other things. Is the air hammer ever really applicable? Are there things I should be using/avoiding on pressure (besides the obvious X is safe, X is not safe raw frame shit)? Thanks!

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
That is quite the step down lol but we get by here in the mid tier.

Optimal combos revolve around fitting b2 into the mix "somewhere." Whether it's your starter, or you hit with it after 111/b12/ b33 xx ex crushing hammer. I'd recommend saving freeze for the end of combos so you can try for resets (if you're sitting on more meter than the opponent). ... Cold-blooded xx ex ice blast, jip, f12 is +29. It may seem pricey, but keep in mind Kung Lao and Quan Chi use meter on block for far less advantage than +29.

F4 xx hammer is the only true block string he's got into hammer. It's possible to jump out or interrupt everything else. B33 and 12 both combo into hammer from a low for decent pressure and makes sure your opponent is at least awake. You'd think f33 xx hammer would work too, but sadly that string requires meter. F33 is -3 though, which is useful for baiting pokes and armoring through with ex hammer.

Slide after hammer hard knock down helps build meter and switches positions. You can safe jump jip after hammer hkd as well. Safe jump 1/2 > 111 will ironically armor break D'Vorah and Tremor wake up armor options, along with Predator.

After hammer HKD in the corner, cross over air hammer ruins reversal inputs, breaks armor, does decent chip and lands SZ back outside the corner (-2 on block). This is good for baiting pokes/ punishing with armor too. Jump over 2 works similarly in that it lands SZ outside the corner after crossing over.

Cryo, to me, is about space control, meter management and good punishment in that order. D4 (+17 on hit) launches his offensive and the character should be played at around that range. D4, f4, b12, 12 and raw hammer (deceptive range) control the ground. Ji3 (air to air, follow with f42 1+3) and D2, although slow, controls the air with its disjointed hitbox (hit high enough, you can often follow up with a slide or f42 1+3 in the corner). Know that breaking a combo is typically a bad move for this variation/ character, as you can likely do more damage to the opponent than they can do to you.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: