What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Problem is you will get low poked out of the s1 , it doesn't have enough range to open the opponent up. 11 is a fast punishing string

Adagost

yard's best Ice cream
That's why i mentioned jip in 111 jails, of course you cannot use this after a maxrange ji1 that would be plain stupid.

Imagine cryo crossj2 in the corner, you just press 111 and confirm in iceball, cancel in something or just be safe and build some meter. Once the jumpin got blocked the rest is free. Just to be clear this works also midscreen with proper spacing + opens up mixup potential once you condition them to block since there are no gaps

Last edited:

boba_buster

Noob saibot
That only guarantees you the mix up of 111hammer or 114-which is unsafe , if you hit confirm 111xxiceball , at best your -5 , cryo has way better options other than hit confirming in iceball

Adagost

yard's best Ice cream
you can hitconfirm in EX Hammer for 40% if you prefer that more, i know this is not the hotness but before that i had 0 reasons to use that string outside of fast punishes

yes 114 is unsafe and i wouldn't recommend using it (i use it with unbreakable though, duh) this tech clearly favors cryo's 111 in my opinion + you plant fear in your Opponent to not press buttons after 11.

Could you list a few of the above mentioned better options to weigh in?

PS : you could cancel in ice burst too, I know this is unsafe too (and HAS a gap of course!) but that shit is tough to punish.

Last edited:

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Cryo's not a pressure character , if you jump in with 111 there just going to block. Anything you do after 111 is going to make you negative , you almost have to go for some type of overhead/low mix up or your just giving your opponent a turn , if you jailing them with a jip why would you go into a mid string anyway? You could 12xxexhammer or b33xx etc. etc.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
you can hitconfirm in EX Hammer for 40% if you prefer that more, i know this is not the hotness but before that i had 0 reasons to use that string outside of fast punishes

yes 114 is unsafe and i wouldn't recommend using it (i use it with unbreakable though, duh) this tech clearly favors cryo's 111 in my opinion + you plant fear in them to not press buttons after 11
111 is a punisher string ... That's what it's there for , he has other strings for other things... S1 does work great as an anti air

Adagost

yard's best Ice cream
i don't like f1,2 because it's super slow + hard to jail with (same with b33 but i guess i just suck), after b1,2 you give up your turn too without mixup.

I always use 1,2 x EX Hammer, but if people block it you're actually even in a worse position. So i'm looking for workarounds

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
I think this is common sense but I didn't see anyone using this before.

So, 114 and 111 seemed not very good. Until i noticed that 114 and 111 jail after a jumpin.

In my opinion this is crucial, cryo gains the ability to hitconfirm into a damaging iceball combo, cancel any hit of the string or just don't finish it. On top of it, 11 and 111 are -5 on block, so you still have some options like backdashing afterwards. I like it, the spacing is tricky but especially with rees corner j2 setup this works like a charm for me. What do you guys think about it?
B12 can also jail after a jump in. 111 is better to break wake up armor as the first 1 comes almost instantly after the JIP2 while B12 is better in open space JIP1 (you can instant JIP1 then B12) as the distance will sometimes make 111 miss.

Overal 111 is a useful punisher but only agaisnt moves that won't push you back on block (B12 is a bit slower but advances) and also has the highest damage for not meter burn combos (if you use meter, B12 has better damage scale being only 2 hits and deals slightly more damage un longer combos).

Instant JIP1 can also jail into a F4 that can literally jail into every move you have (I use F4 into regular hammer, not everyone has the speed and range to punish the hammer on block and some will try to act before the hammer hits, eating it for a hard knock down which marks the start of your momentum).

I don't recomment using 114 (along with 112) considering you can 11Slide for better results, a bit of meter building and both are punishable by full combo anyway (unless KP2 comes with 114 becoming just a lose turn and 112 being neutral and with pushback, you should never use those 2).

EDIT: For some reason I didn't see some of the following comments, just want to add that 11Burst is a true jail, you can check all special cancel jails for Sub-Zero in the fourth tab of the document included in this thread:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-exhaustive-move-data.58034/

Last edited:
Hello guys,

is there any chart or thread about Clone cancel frame data? I could get information about the fastest/slowest normal/string cancel but I am curious about the exact data. Maybe someone calculated before (like FRBC frame data :D).

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Hello guys,

is there any chart or thread about Clone cancel frame data? I could get information about the fastest/slowest normal/string cancel but I am curious about the exact data. Maybe someone calculated before (like FRBC frame data :D).
This is the cryo forum dude , no clones in here , just hammer time

Lokheit

Noob
Meanwhile in Bo'Rai Cho land, long reach uppercut is 7 frames instead of 13...

Also... how cool would it be if Cryo had bartitsu reach on first hit of strings instead of second or third hits...

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Overal 111 is a useful punisher but only agaisnt moves that won't push you back on block (B12 is a bit slower but advances) and also has the highest damage for not meter burn combos (if you use meter, B12 has better damage scale being only 2 hits and deals slightly more damage un longer combos).
How many hits we talking here for when B12 outscales 111 because in my testing the BnB of 111xxFreeze F421+3xxEn Hammer F421+3xxHammer deals the same damage as if you open with B12? I am struggling to think of a punish that is going to be longer than that for Cryo.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
How many hits we talking here for when B12 outscales 111 because in my testing the BnB of 111xxFreeze F421+3xxEn Hammer F421+3xxHammer deals the same damage as if you open with B12? I am struggling to think of a punish that is going to be longer than that for Cryo.
If you're gonna burn the meter, do it after 111 for better damage (111 xx en hammer, b2, run f42 1+3 xx hammer).

As for b12 and 111 scaling differently, it's noticeable, but negligible.

Lokheit

Noob
Don't know why removing everything in the front page instead of leaving it but anyway if you guys can wait a couple of weeks (been editing some long video stuff lately) I call dibs on the Cryomancer one :p

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
A friend of mine is trying to get into MKX and he's using Cryo to do it. I've been helping him learn it so I sort of ended up picking up this variation as well. It's pretty damn easy to figure out, but one gimmick I didn't see you folks talk about was f3xxEXhammer. From my experience this will hit 8/10 people the first time:p and then it puts it in their head that the option to do that exists.

flappysamyhamy

EMPEROR FLAPPY / EGGPLANT
A friend of mine is trying to get into MKX and he's using Cryo to do it. I've been helping him learn it so I sort of ended up picking up this variation as well. It's pretty damn easy to figure out, but one gimmick I didn't see you folks talk about was f3xxEXhammer. From my experience this will hit 8/10 people the first time:p and then it puts it in their head that the option to do that exists.
stop

Gilbagz

Joker here~
F3 is decent as frame trap tool cos its a 9f hitconfirmable mid
You shouldnt be using it for the low at all.
Its just your safe check mid tool.

I am new to mkx and am trying to learn cryo. I am struggling with executing f421+3 after b2 because I have to run cancel really quick. I am now trying to do f122 instead of the b2, now I do not have to run cancel and it only costs me 1% damage I think. What do you guys think of this change, should I just stick with learning the run cancel or can I also use this?

thanks in advance