What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

Hated Greatness

Super Villain
Hello fellas. I just started in the lab today. I was wonder, is 11, ice ball, jump 1, forward 1, 2 2, forward 4, 2, 1+3 possible? Also, other than just practicing combos...what do I need to be doing to learn this game?

Lokheit

Noob
Hello fellas. I just started in the lab today. I was wonder, is 11, ice ball, jump 1, forward 1, 2 2, forward 4, 2, 1+3 possible? Also, other than just practicing combos...what do I need to be doing to learn this game?
Yes, it is possible, but there are better ways (and easier to time as F122 sometimes screws combos) to combo after an iceball. The most effective way is jump in punch, B2, Run, 4,2,1+3. You can put a F122 before the B2 but as I mentioned it can screw the whole combo and because of damage scaling, it will only make the combo around 1% better so not worth it.

Also consider using B1,2 Iceball as it does a lot more damage and B1,2 is safe. 1,1 is faster so it's a good option to punish a blocked combo though. In the corner (or against female characters no matter their position) you can use B33, Iceball to freeze from a low hitting starter.

There are 2 things you will have to practice a lot until they become muscle memory if you want to juice Cryomancer's potential:

B2, RUN, F4,2,1+3: This is the way you finish your midscreen combos.
B2,B2, F4,2,1+3: This is the way you finish your corner combos. It gets a bit tricky (using the opponent voice after each hit to known whan you have to throw the next one for the juggle helps a lot).

Throw in jump in punch before each one if you froze the target for a bit more of damage.

Once you have those 2 just learn when it's better to throw each of your starters:

*B1,2 can be blocked on any position, but it has long reach, is safe and combos into iceball anywhere. It's also the higher damage starter.

*B2 is an overhead so they can't block it while ducking, it's a bit slow so you want to get your opponent used to block low (D3 and D4 help with this, one is faster, the other one has more reach and staggers them a bit against the corner).

*B33 hits low but can only combo into iceball in the corner or against females so most times you want to use EX Icehammer after it. When you have any option to combo from B33 available you can pick between it and B2 to start a combo either low or OH.

*F33 the start up fast enough to punish some stuff and the second hit is a low. Most times I use this instead of B33 when I want to use EX Icehammer as the damage is greater and it has good reach and safety. If you don't have meter it can be used to keep the opponent away and throw an iceball to cover his wakeup (be careful if the opponent can teleport though).

*11 has lower damage but is fast and can combo into iceball anywhere

*123Slide is the only combo you will be using that doesn't end on your goto finishers and it's used to carry the opponent to the corner. The second hit is a low, if you have meter you can do 12EXHammer for a low-OH mixup on top of a fast starter.

*Your upercut is awesome as it reaches far and eats aerial targets for breakfast. It's relatively safe when blocked because it puts you at some distance, but many characters still have tools to punish it so be careful.

*Remember that even if it has a slow start up, your Iceball is a ranged projectile (sometimes SZ players end up forgetting it has range because they focus on using it during combos) that in this variation with more damaging tools "hits for 24% damage" as it's a free combo. Even if you're hit by a knock back projectile most times (there are exceptions) you can still reach the frozen target in time. Most KB projectiles send you to full screen so if you wake up with a slide from that range you will land right next to the target without unfreezing him. Be careful with faster teleports and projectiles interrupting it though.

*The slide as mentioned is awesome to move. It's really fast (you can surprise a lot of opponents off guard with it) but if blocked is punishable. If it missed the target it can be used as a "super dash" as explained above, allowing you to close distances at a really high speed (and it also ducks under all high projectiles and many mid ones too).

*Try to save as much X-Meter as you can. This variation depends a lot on that bar, specially against male opponents, so if there is a situation where you can get a good combo without burning meter, it's preferable to go through that route. You meter gives you armor and a much better mix-up arsenal specially when you don't have your corner options

Last edited:

Hated Greatness

Super Villain
Yes, it is possible, but there are better ways (and easier to time as F122 sometimes screws combos) to combo after an iceball. The most effective way is jump in punch, B2, Run, 4,2,1+3. You can put a F122 before the B2 but as I mentioned it can screw the whole combo and because of damage scaling, it will only make the combo around 1% better so not worth it.

Also consider using B1,2 Iceball as it does a lot more damage and B1,2 is safe. 1,1 is faster so it's a good option to punish a blocked combo though. In the corner (or against female characters no matter their position) you can use B33, Iceball to freeze from a low hitting starter.

There are 2 things you will have to practice a lot until they become muscle memory if you want to juice Cryomancer's potential:

B2, RUN, 4,2,1+3: This is the way you finish your midscreen combos.
B2,B2, 4,2,1+3: This is the way you finish your corner combos. It gets a bit tricky (using the opponent voice after each hit to known whan you have to throw the next one for the juggle helps a lot).

Throw in jump in punch before each one if you froze the target for a bit more of damage.

Once you have those 2 just learn when it's better to throw each of your starters:

*B1,2 can be blocked on any position, but it has long reach, is safe and combos into iceball anywhere. It's also the higher damage starter.

*B2 is an overhead so they can't block it while ducking, it's a bit slow so you want to get your opponent used to block low (D3 and D4 help with this, one is faster, the other one has more reach and staggers them a bit against the corner).

*B33 hits low but can only combo into iceball in the corner or against females so most times you want to use EX Icehammer after it. When you have any option to combo from B33 available you can pick between it and B2 to start a combo either low or OH.

*F33 the start up fast enough to punish some stuff and the second hit is a low. Most times I use this instead of B33 when I want to use EX Icehammer as the damage is greater and it has good reach and safety. If you don't have meter it can be used to keep the opponent away and throw an iceball to cover his wakeup (be careful if the opponent can teleport though).

*11 has lower damage but is fast and can combo into iceball anywhere

*123Slide is the only combo you will be using that doesn't end on your goto finishers and it's used to carry the opponent to the corner. The second hit is a low, if you have meter you can do 12EXHammer for a low-OH mixup on top of a fast starter.

*Your upercut is awesome as it reaches far and eats aerial targets for breakfast. It's relatively safe when blocked because it puts you at some distance, but many characters still have tools to punish it so be careful.

*Remember that even if it has a slow start up, your Iceball is a ranged projectile (sometimes SZ players end up forgetting it has range because they focus on using it during combos) that in this variation with more damaging tools "hits for 24% damage" as it's a free combo. Even if you're hit by a knock back projectile most times (there are exceptions) you can still reach the frozen target in time. Most KB projectiles send you to full screen so if you wake up with a slide from that range you will land right next to the target without unfreezing him. Be careful with faster teleports and projectiles interrupting it though.

*The slide as mentioned is awesome to move. It's really fast (you can surprise a lot of opponents off guard with it) but if blocked is punishable. If it missed the target it can be used as a "super dash" as explained above, allowing you to close distances at a really high speed (and it also ducks under all high projectiles and many mid ones too).

*Try to save as much X-Meter as you can. This variation depends a lot on that bar, specially against male opponents, so if there is a situation where you can get a good combo without burning meter, it's preferable to go through that route. You meter gives you armor and a much better mix-up arsenal specially when you don't have your corner options
Whoa, thanks for the info man. I have been struggling with b2, run, f4 all day and was going to stop trying to get it down consistently. I guess I will have to stick too it. (I just changed my block button to r1 to see if that helps...I am used to playing on fightstick).

EDIT: Did you mean B2, RUN, F4,2,1+3?

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Whoa, thanks for the info man. I have been struggling with b2, run, f4 all day and was going to stop trying to get it down consistently. I guess I will have to stick too it. (I just changed my block button to r1 to see if that helps...I am used to playing on fightstick).
I know the run to F4 gets tricky, I needed some time to get used to it but right now is pure muscle memory. Do the forward, forward block input while the B2 animation is still on and then let him run a bit. I missed it a lot at the beginning because I was trying to get them as soon as possible but it's better to let them fall a little bit. Once you get used to the timing instead of worrying about them falling before you can hit the combo, it will feel very natural, it's just a mater of realizing the right point to press 4 in your run. You will need some time to get used to the B2B2 corner combo too but if you use the voice to time it you will end up getting used to it too.

Btw, maybe you know this but I'll mention it anyway just in case, the F4,2,1+3 combo can be done as 4,2,throw as the 1+3 input is exactly the same as the throw input and it helps with landing the full string, though the tricky part is still timing it after a run.

Edit: Yeah I meant that string, I'm so used to use it after a run that sometimes I don't remember if I'm pressing forward because I'm running or because the string needs it, but you're right.

Last edited:

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate

EDIT: Did you mean B2, RUN, F4,2,1+3?
I'm not criticizing by saying this, but I don't understand how people are having issues with run canceling. It's really not much different than doing an enhanced special. I was a little thrown off by it at first because I thought you had to hold forward the whole time but once I realized it move automatically it's been cake.

So are you having more of an issue with the run input itself or connecting strings out of it?

Hated Greatness

Super Villain
I'm not criticizing by saying this, but I don't understand how people are having issues with run canceling. It's really not much different than doing an enhanced special. I was a little thrown off by it at first because I thought you had to hold forward the whole time but once I realized it move automatically it's been cake.

So are you having more of an issue with the run input itself or connecting strings out of it?
At first it was getting the run to come out consistently. Since I changed my block to R1, that is no longer an issue. Now I am struggling to hit the F4 consistently afterwards.

Lokheit

Noob

I think the problem most of us had until getting used to it was more about focusing too much on rushing the combo after the run than properly starting the run. I think that's the case here too.

Speaking of that, I'm training right now with Marksman Erron Black and combos into cancellable special into run cancel into combo... now that's really making my fingers feel dumb lol. Worse part is that the next character I want to learn is A-List Johnny Cage who is also full of cancellable specials but I hope when I finish with Marksman it's also implanted in my brain :p

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
At first it was getting the run to come out consistently. Since I changed my block to R1, that is no longer an issue. Now I am struggling to hit the F4 consistently afterwards.
Like Lokheit said, do the f4 a frame or 2 later than you think you should. Learning Hellfire Scorpion's fireball run cancel combos made everything else seem way easier. Training makes perfect.

Durango

Enhancer
Maybe someone here can help me on what I did wrong, but two things I had major problems with:

1) Dropped combos. B2 is good for being used far away, but F421+3 will drop.
2) Meter. Sub-Zero seems to have struggles building meter once again, yet Scorpion seemed to never run out.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Maybe someone here can help me on what I did wrong, but two things I had major problems with:

2) Meter. Sub-Zero seems to have struggles building meter once again, yet Scorpion seemed to never run out.

For the most part, just little things in the neutral
You didn't punish when you had the opportunity to
You lost the majority of the air to airs. Generally with scorpion, just block and punish the jk teleport, its difficult to anti air the jump kick, especially online.
If you don't want to play that 50/50 game between jk tele or jip into 50/50, learn the spacing on jumps so you can tripguard with f4 2 into combo.
Learn the spacing on f4,2; its too good of a footsie tool. Combined with cryos damage its insane.
Also practice blocking the vortex, you got killed from the 50/50 from the vortex. Stay in crouch and react to the overhead (again hard as hell online).

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate

Your first problem is that you're not using the revenant skin. Do that and everything else should come with ease.
:DOGE

Durango

Enhancer
Nah, I don't like being a zombie, contrary to my love of brains.

If you're interested in watching more, I have a set of 8 videos from our fights on my channel. They should be on the right side.

Anyway, this Kenshi gave me some trouble. I learned to finally start doing Run into B2 and D3, but also, I started using more D3. Mixing him up with F42 and D3 and cornering him was what helped the most, since he often blocked high, so I hit Slide instead. Any critique is welcome.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
To whoever tagged me, the hammer restand, in my experience, only works when really high and rarely at a lower height. You need to have low gravity which also means low damage. Not worth it.

Not 100% sure if posted or useful, but

Corner: B2,B2, B12,enfreeze(df2+blk),NJP, F4,2,1+3 (41%, one meter)

Taking out the njp does 40.

JIK(3),F4,2,1+3 in the corner does 29%

F1,2,2, B12, df2(freeze),NJP, F4,2,1+3 (30%, mid, meterless)

Last edited:

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Am I correct in saying that hit confirming into ice blast will always do less or the same damage as the same combo without it? I still use it maybe out of habit or to give myself a moment to think. I guess it builds more meter but also for the opponent. It's great for projectile trades but it seems like it's always more adventagious and efficient to hit confirm into ex hammer or just go for b2 or 2, 4, 2.

I feel as though you should at least get an extra 1 or 2% since doing more work for the same or less damage seems pointless.

Lokheit

Noob
Am I correct in saying that hit confirming into ice blast will always do less or the same damage as the same combo without it? I still use it maybe out of habit or to give myself a moment to think. I guess it builds more meter but also for the opponent. It's great for projectile trades but it seems like it's always more adventagious and efficient to hit confirm into ex hammer or just go for b2 or 2, 4, 2.

I feel as though you should at least get an extra 1 or 2% since doing more work for the same or less damage seems pointless.

Midscreen if you're using meter it's always EX Hammer.

In the corner the 3 main starters (B12, F33, B33) that could lead to each one, lead to the exact same damage with their following combo (for EX Iceblast: JIP, B2, F4,2,1+3 and for EX Hammer: B2, F4,2,1+3) which is 39, 37 and 35 on each version, so in damage terms it doesn't matter, if the first hit wasn't blocked both are fine. This is because most "on place jugle" moves like EX Hammer or NJP have high damage scale too (contrary to send away jugles like B2 that have almost zero effect on damage scaling as proven by B2B2F421+3 being stronger than the same string started by an EX Hammer when B2 is only 1 point better than the hammer).

Now each move has some traits:

- EX Hammer is an overhead so it adds mixups specially when used with F33 and B33. Iceball doesn't so if the starter is blocked and you were rushing the input, that's it, the combo failed, you wasted a bar and if the opponent is fast enough you will have something flying towards your face. EX Hammer also while 1 frame worse after block IIRC, puts a bit of distance from your opponent when blocked so it's not as punishable.

- EX Iceball is faster. This means that when the starter is blocked, EX Hammer gives a window of opportunity for your opponent to hit you while EX Iceball will intercept him if he tries to surprise you. Most times EX Hammer won't notice the difference because it grants armor, so the combo will keep going, but there can be cases where the punisher has armor too or the situation where the damage from a single hit will be enough to kill you (as armor only makes you inmune to interruption, not damage). In these situations it can be argued that EX Iceball is the better move, but considering you really don't know if the opponent will risk a mid string punisher and that EX Iceball is easier to block and a bit less safe, even with those threat presents I'd still use the EX Hammer, I'm just writting this to point the fact that there is a use for that, but my personal opinion is that EX Iceball combos are for the other variations. Maybe as the game evolves, if people start training to counter the Hammer with fast armored punishers it will be a good idea, but so far it's the best option. The hammer even breaks the Unbreakable parry.

Durango

Enhancer
I think I'm going to start using some of the simpler corner combos. B2 B2 F431+2 has to much liability for a drop, which has gotten me countered several times. No matter how down I nail the timing on Practice, going online is another story altogether. I can sacrifice a few points of damage as long as it's coming out right and I'm dealing more than 33% damage.

In addition, is it just me, or is that combo actually harder to hit on females? I tried it several times on D'Vorah and only hit it once.

I think I'm going to start using some of the simpler corner combos. B2 B2 F431+2 has to much liability for a drop, which has gotten me countered several times. No matter how down I nail the timing on Practice, going online is another story altogether. I can sacrifice a few points of damage as long as it's coming out right and I'm dealing more than 33% damage.

In addition, is it just me, or is that combo actually harder to hit on females? I tried it several times on D'Vorah and only hit it once.
There is a slight delay before you hit the second b2. It's not as fast as you can... it's B2... wait a bit, B2 again. I hit it every time.

Watching your vid v Kenshi, you should use f33 more and mix it up with low kicks/slides/combo starters. F33 is an awesome punisher imo and forces them to the wall or closer to it.

I'm having difficulty doing B2, run, f42.1+3. I can't consistently hit it. Running after B2 is a bitch :E

Also are there any more high damage corner combos :)? All I know is 41/42% off 1 meter and seeing how you can do a 39/40 at mid screen, there must be something better...

Last edited:

Durango

Enhancer
There is a slight delay before you hit the second b2. It's not as fast as you can... it's B2... wait a bit, B2 again. I hit it every time.

Watching your vid v Kenshi, you should use f33 more and mix it up with low kicks/slides/combo starters. F33 is an awesome punisher imo and forces them to the wall or closer to it.

I'm having difficulty doing B2, run, f42.1+3. I can't consistently hit it. Running after B2 is a bitch :E

Also are there any more high damage corner combos :)? All I know is 41/42% off 1 meter and seeing how you can do a 39/40 at mid screen, there must be something better...
I found it. B2, 1, 1, D1, F421+3. 34% damage, 4% less than B2 B2, but far more reliable. I'll try it.

Yes, the Sub-Zero I played yesterday taught me I need to use F33 more. I try to go for damaging combos right off the bat. But how am I mixing up F33 with low kicks/slides/combo starters? Unless I end it with EX Hammer and Slide, of course, but the latter doesn't seem to be much more damaging.

It's only bad if you hit B2 max range, which is ironic since it's meant to be a ranged attack. Closer up, it's easy for me.

As far as I know, that' spretty much it unless you do an X-Ray (48%).

I found it. B2, 1, 1, D1, F421+3. 34% damage, 4% less than B2 B2, but far more reliable. I'll try it.

Yes, the Sub-Zero I played yesterday taught me I need to use F33 more. I try to go for damaging combos right off the bat. But how am I mixing up F33 with low kicks/slides/combo starters? Unless I end it with EX Hammer and Slide, of course, but the latter doesn't seem to be much more damaging.

It's only bad if you hit B2 max range, which is ironic since it's meant to be a ranged attack. Closer up, it's easy for me.

As far as I know, that' spretty much it unless you do an X-Ray (48%).
Ya, I'm slowly finding the run f4,2,1+3 after run hitting more frequently, but still not perfect. Range seems to make it slightly more difficult.

F33 is not the most damaging of moves but needs to blocked low and forces the other player against the wall on hit. It also hits mid-low-mid. They have to block low to stop it, so you can throw in overhead B2s once you have them crouching and blocking. Not necessarily the most damaging but useful in general game play, like 1,1,1(freeze), b1+2(freeze) or f42.

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I've been using MB DB1 after F42 1+3 in the corner to stop people from mashing out. Since there is zero hit advantage, it works pretty well and you can easily hit confirm into a combo. Most I've got is 27%

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
Is there any utility in the 111 string? It looks like it staggers but according to shoryuken's frame data it's only +1 on hit. I'm not at my house with my xbox at the moment so I can't really test anything for myself. I'm somewhat new at applying frame data for myself, so is +1 on hit enough to allow for pressure/mixups? My guess is no, but maybe someone else can shed some light on the string's usefulness. Maybe I'm answering my own question but it seems that b12 is simply equal or better than 111 in every way, in terms of advantage, chip, etc,

Durango

Enhancer
Sub-Zero has one critical flaw in this form. He cannot build meter quickly.

What this means is that losing meter limits him from keeping an effective corner guard. Without EX Hammer, he loses a powerful starter, a powerful launcher, and an armored move that counterattacks other characters. Having 0 bars of meter limits his corner attacks to B2, B3, or just blocking. Many people love to armor out of the corner, and being forced to block gives them that priority.

Meanwhile, as Grandmaster, you can pop as many clones as you want without meter. You can also build meter by propping a clone and firing Ice Balls or destroying it. You have a number of specials that will build your meter while you play effective defense or rush your opponent into the corner.

Cryomancer is truly a form for offense, but without meter, better players will see that and punish as effectively as they can, abusing as many armor moves as they want. Don't lose faith in the form, though, because it still has the effective Cold Blooded ender. Just depends on what you need more.

zee

Icy
I tested the 1 bar 40% mid-screen combo b2, run, b1,2, Ex hammer, f4,2,1+3 and found it to work on all characters in the game. It can be difficult to perform consistently on small hitbox characters, hardest of which are Cassie and Mileena for me. Jacqui and Kitana aren't bad. I'll post a couple execution tips below for anyone interested in mastering this combo against the entire roster.

1) Buffer the run during the recovery of b2, as Sub-Zero is standing up. Practice just this part, a connected b2 into run, and see that he's running on the first possible frame. If it's any later, the follow-up may drop.

2) The b1,2 part is tricky against small hitbox characters. I found myself having to input it slightly later than when I intuitively think I should. Beyond this part, the rest of the combo easily falls into place.

I'd recommend practicing this both with and without a jip to improve overall consistency, as shown in the video. Also, I don't think the combo works on small characters off a ranged b2.

Last edited: