What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Because f.MP and cr.HP have good range with little pushback and cr.HP leads to his/a good damage bnb, and since he lacks damage and range in comparison to most of the cast Rashids really want to get that damage in. The normals you mentioned are good when up close but it's getting to that close a range in the first place that's the issue. s.LK and cr.MP are better for anti-airing really too. But it's also early on, people will get more used to their characters normals and they'll figure more stuff out so you might progressively see those used more.
Those moves have their place for sure. However, if you watch replays on CFN you'll see Rashid players sticking to those moves and unsafe moves. I think Aris is the best Rashid right now and he abuses standing jab and strong. cr. mp is his best anti air. I agree.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Fang has a lot of plus on block normals and his EX command dash thing is strike and projectile invincible on frame 1 so he has a very good escape pressure tool
It's not throw invincible. Why does this man spend a meter to get thrown back into the corner

The struggle for F.A.N.G is unreal

Wetdoba

All too easy...
It's not throw invincible. Why does this man spend a meter to get thrown back into the corner

If one move beats it then dont do it if you think they will do that one move. If they do anything else you are out and playing your game again, sorry he cant get out for free if hes really strong everywhere but the corner. Birdie doesnt have reversals either. These characters are designed to struggle some when backed into the corner because its a struggle for your opponent to get them there in the first place. Welcome to non NRS fighting games lol

smokey

EX Ovi should launch

FANG's V-reversal is legit and his EX slide is pretty great at getting you away, only throws and command throws will beat it on wake up, but tbh the best thing to do is just block with most characters. Trying to get up like a maverick will get you killed so fast.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You are theory fighting. F.A.N.G sounds good on paper but in reality slowly chipping at people with pokes and poison is not feasible when he gets touched once and vortexed to death. He doesn't control the game enough to deserve such freeness on wake-up, outplaying people isn't enough to win with this character
It's not theory fighting. The character has really good options in neutral. I've been playing a FANG regularly, so I'm seeing how the character is myself on the other side.

And who the hell is vortexing you in this game lol? Like, seriously, the game's mechanics literally make vortexing not a thing. There's maybe 2 moves not a super that cause any hard knockdown, your opponent has to actually read your wakeup tech, backdashing is still good when you learn where you can and can't do it (FANG also has the best backdash in the game). Actually having good defense is important in this game, not having good defense for your character. It helps, but ultimately playing smart defense is gonna help.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
FANG's V-reversal is legit and his EX slide is pretty great at getting you away, only throws and command throws will beat it on wake up, but tbh the best thing to do is just block with most characters. Trying to get up like a maverick will get you killed so fast.
Egg-fucking-xactly.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Egg-fucking-xactly.
I dont see where FANG is lacking in defence at all, if anything he takes less risks trying to get up with EX Slide and getting thrown out of it than say Ryu trying to get up with a DP and eating 400 damage CC on block. Ive read somewhere that V reversal can be option selected with throw tech, so FANG can be insanely hard to pin down seeing as his V reversal swaps sides. I can see where some people are struggling with the knockdown game in SFV as if you dont do anything to get up faster your opponent can walk up and you have to guess the throw, but with all the options you have to get up theres nothing resembling a vortex in SFV that I have seen.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think Ryu can recover fast enough after a guard break to get a small quick combo or a knockdown to close out the round.
More testing with Gief V-Skill I was able to absorb 2 hits standing but 3 hits while moving forward.
Yeah after any V-trigger guard break you can get a combo if you're close enough. I was just telling the 2 different moves ryu has that does it.
And you can absorb 4 hits with the Zangief V-Skill. 2 for flexing and 2 when he starts crab walking.
look u guise

i'm playing a character with no fireball, no antiair, no true reversal, no plus on block divekicks, no command grab scrub laura gimmicks.... just 100% fundamentals

could someone pls pass the props already
Maybe because you got those scrubby V-trigger mixups??? :eek::coffee:

@THTB @smokey @@MylesWright_ I've been playing F.A.N.G and he feels like he has the tools to not end up in the corner. I can make even Ryu and Chun come to me. Then play from a range where Chun and Birdie used to be the only dominant forces. Everything this guy does hits from further out than where he is standing. One trick I like his cr.HP anti air but cancel the first hit into the HK ground cloud. They have to react to getting AA'd into a back roll to avoid the setup which is just fine for F.A.N.G

And can people stop complaining about waking up. Unless you get CC or beat to the corner you're fine in this game. Even then it's so easy to just block on wake up. Then you take like 2 buttons and you're back to neutral.

Last edited:

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I'm not patient enough. An airborne opponent in range triggers my DP reflex.

Its good in SFV, but terrible in MVC games.
Dude it is a really good anti-air, I honestly don't know what more you can ask for in one. It spaces you nicely too for a follow-up. Based on my use of it so far and the priority it seems to have I would give it a really good grade as an AA.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Dude it is a really good anti-air, I honestly don't know what more you can ask for in one. It spaces you nicely too for a follow-up. Based on my use of it so far and the priority it seems to have I would give it a really good grade as an AA.
Good to know.

The DP reflex is strong though. Also, its a fast chaser - and I can select the range to meet any tomfoolery. Jumping against Cammy, I think we can all agree on, is a terrible tactic.

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
This thread should be renamed the "Downplay the Shit out of your SFV character". I mean sheesh. The games only been out a week so I'm sure there is lots of tech to still be discovered anyway.

On a side note Birdie is freaking awesome. His banana setups make me laugh every time I pull them off.
Not me. Cammy kicks ass.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
You are theory fighting. F.A.N.G sounds good on paper but in reality slowly chipping at people with pokes and poison is not feasible when he gets touched once and vortexed to death. He doesn't control the game enough to deserve such freeness on wake-up, outplaying people isn't enough to win with this character
Lots of characters have this issue. In fact, the majority of characters do not have an invincible wakeup. The two characters I use most, (Nash and Laura) are probably worse off than F.A.N.G in the corner.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
This thread should be renamed the "Downplay the Shit out of your SFV character". I mean sheesh. The games only been out a week so I'm sure there is lots of tech to still be discovered anyway.

On a side note Birdie is freaking awesome. His banana setups make me laugh every time I pull them off.
That noise when they slip is just too damn perfect. Birdies vskill meta game is going to be huge with him. Ive been starting out eating bananas and soda first so that people expect me to throw something down after I eat something because they usually try to jump in on me over the food during that time as Im throwing it down. Then if you eat a normal donut and recover quickly you can anti air them with cr.mp right away or you can hold down mp and mk while you eat the donut to charge the EX armored headbutt and anti air them with that. Then when they hesitate when you eat food expecting it to be a donut it opens up "safer" opportunities to put down bananas and cans again in the neutral. Also keep in mind that when you actuvate Vtrigger eating donuts will refill the Vtrigger bar so you can stay in it longer and non charge EX headbutts have armor on them. God damn Birdie is such a well designed character, so perfect for me, he may be fat but hes got conditioning

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
That noise when they slip is just too damn perfect. Birdies vskill meta game is going to be huge with him. Ive been starting out eating bananas and soda first so that people expect me to throw something down after I eat something because they usually try to jump in on me over the food during that time as Im throwing it down. Then if you eat a normal donut and recover quickly you can anti air them with cr.mp right away or you can hold down mp and mk while you eat the donut to charge the EX armored headbutt and anti air them with that. Then when they hesitate when you eat food expecting it to be a donut it opens up "safer" opportunities to put down bananas and cans again in the neutral. Also keep in mind that when you actuvate Vtrigger eating donuts will refill the Vtrigger bar so you can stay in it longer and non charge EX headbutts have armor on them. God damn Birdie is such a well designed character, so perfect for me, he may be fat but hes got conditioning
Do the donuts just build V trigger? Or do they recover health as well?

The V skill meta is my favorite thing about the character other than the EX divebomb move. I love that move.