What's new

SonicFox = Potential Greatest of All Time...And We Are Living In It

coolwhip

Noob
Reo is kinda the Daigo of MK games.
No. God no. Can we stop with this comparison forever? Nobody is the Daigo of MK games because nobody has come close to Daigo's accomplishments, legacy or mystique. This is like whenever someone is the best at something, they call him the "Michael Jordan of X." No. Just no. Because there's a difference between being the best, and being the Michael Jordan of something. Michael Jordan was way more than just the best bastketball player. The same way there's a difference between a character being the best in a game, and being labelled as the "Kabal of the game."

REO is the best all around MK player (meaning if we take all MK's, and not just MK9). He's awesome. Might genuinely be the smartest player in the community. But nobody in the MK community is close to being the Daigo of MK games (hell, REO doesn't even have an EVO win).

Last edited:

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
I hate the way Fox plays, but I 100% respect him now and I was wrong for saying he's bad.

Unfortunately even though he wins all these others games on the east coast, the greater majority of the FG public don't know who he is because he isn't a capcom gamer.

It's probably better that way because capcom stream monsters are the biggest assholes of all time, but he doesn't get as much acknowledgement because he doesn't play capcom games. It's a sad truth :(

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Stop...not even. We are in a world that Justin Wong exists in, let's calm down. Let's not forget we are playing games that take waaaaay less skill and fg knowledge than the majoriy of others. Sonic is a great player don't get me wrong, but imo there are loads of better fighting game players better than the majority of us here. No offense or anything. Just my two cents.
So why don't people like Justin Wong dominate our "less skilled games"? It's because the games "we" play are different, not "less skilled". Chris G plays Injustice and MK9, he doesn't dominate either. The games matter, the fundamentals are different. Someone like REO would not dominate in SF, unless he had years of SF practice and fundamentals. General fighting game fundamentals only get you so far, and it's why people like Jwong are good early in new fighters, they use their general fighting game or SF fundamentals, but it only can take them so far.

SF4 has 5 years under its belt. But SF itself has almost 2 decades under its belt. And the difference between a franchise like MK and SF is that MK games change A LOT from game to game, especially on a fundamental level. SF barely changes, and the fundamentals stay very similar. If we had been playing MK since 2000, and the games haven't changed much, no one could come close to us outside of the MK community because of our years of fundamentals. It's the same shit for SF players, but instead of realizing this, they're just labeled "more god like" because their games get branded as "taking a lot of skill".

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I think many ppl in the fgc have a misconception that "some games require more skill" which is straight up opinion and why the fgc is so divided (one reason for sure). Realistically speaking, fighting games require different types of skill sets and examples would be:
Virtua Fighter (All about the spacing/footsies and otgs/juggles and no special moves, which is very different from lots of fighting gamea
Marvel vs Capcom: (Ground game not as big, but the aerial game is huge. This game incorporates team strategies with assists u can use for mixups/ defense and etc. and is a game of high risk for messing up and huge reward for doing the right thing)
Mortal Kombat (9): (Ground game huge, juggles for combos and a poking system where u are at a disadvantage frame wise on block (d3s and d1s) or startup (d4s slower startup) and etc.
I could give larger descriptions and talk about more games, but my main point is there is no such thing as "oh this game requires more skill" people who say that just aren't able to play multiple games and aren't much of a fighting game player IMO #YEEEAAAPPP
Yeah for sure, I always agreed with this. If one fighting game is so much harder than others, then technically shouldn't the best person from that fighting game be able to play any fighting game and dominate everybody? That is not the case tho

You can be the best Tekken player out there but suck at SF, be the best SF player out there but suck at MK, be the best Marvel player and suck at Skullgirls, etc. All fighting games are just different, none really require alot more skill. Just different kind of skill

Wouldn't Chris G be the best?
Even if Chris G was mathematically the best and had X EVO medals, he still wouldn't be "the best".

I think maturity, optimism and professionalism are kind of required to be worthy of being considered "THE BEST".

Last edited:
So why don't people like Justin Wong dominate our "less skilled games"? It's because the games "we" play are different, not "less skilled". Chris G plays Injustice and MK9, he doesn't dominate either. The games matter, the fundamentals are different. Someone like REO would not dominate in SF, unless he had years of SF practice and fundamentals. General fighting game fundamentals only get you so far, and it's why people like Jwong are good early in new fighters, they use their general fighting game or SF fundamentals, but it only can take them so far.

SF4 has 5 years under its belt. But SF itself has almost 2 decades under its belt. And the difference between a franchise like MK and SF is that MK games change A LOT from game to game, especially on a fundamental level. SF barely changes, and the fundamentals stay very similar. If we had been playing MK since 2000, and the games haven't changed much, no one could come close to us outside of the MK community because of our years of fundamentals. It's the same shit for SF players, but instead of realizing this, they're just labeled "more god like" because their games get branded as "taking a lot of skill".
are you saying sf4 a3 3s fundamentals are very similar?

REO is the best all around MK player (meaning if we take all MK's, and not just MK9). He's awesome. Might genuinely be the smartest player in the community. But nobody in the MK community is close to being the Daigo of MK games (hell, REO doesn't even have an EVO medal).
Fucking thank you. Agree 100% with this.

are you saying sf4 a3 3s fundamentals are very similar?
imo Fundamentals are universal to all fighting games. It's things like reaction, yomi/reads, space control, mixup/conditioning, adaptation/downloading and capitalizing/optimizing punishes. All those things are present in every single fighting game.

You're talking about the ground game/mid-range that change from game to game because of a game's system mechanics.

I mean the reason why Tokido, Chris G and Justin Wong can pick up ANY new game and immediately start winning tournaments is because they have an advanced understanding and application of these universal fighting game fundamentals + they have dealt with tournament/stream nerves and clutch situations more than the average high level player.

coolwhip

Noob
Stop...not even kidding. We are in a world that Justin Wong exists in, let's calm down. Let's not forget we are playing games that take waaaaay less skill and fg knowledge than the majoriy of others. Sonic is a great player don't get me wrong, but imo there are loads of better fighting game players better than the majority of us here. No offense or anything. Just my two cents.
Slips is one of the greatest Tekken players to ever play, and he's probably not even a top 10 player in NRS games (and I fucking love Slips). Is Tekken an easy game that takes "waaaaay less skills and fg knowledge"?

This idea is outdated.

coolwhip

Noob
Even if Chris G was mathematically the best and had 20 EVO medals, he still wouldn't be "the best".

I think maturity and professionalism are required to be worthy of being considered the best.
We're talking about fighting games here. Maturity and professionalism aren't that high on the list. To be the best you just need to get the best results. That's how best is defined. Nobody accused Chris G to be a role model. But the man is one of the best all around fighting game players in North America, if not the best.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Slips is one of the greatest Tekken players to ever play, and he's probably not even a top 10 player in NRS games (and I fucking love Slips). Is Tekken an easy game that takes "waaaaay less skills and fg knowledge"?

This idea is outdated.
Don't argue with a person of that kind of inexperience.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
This post is ignorant. First, Justin Wong is great, but why use him as a comparison to SonicFox when there are better players out there? Second, you make it seem like SonicFox only plays Injustice and MK, which isn't true at all. SonicFox wins multiple games nearly every tournament he goes out to, normally a NRS game and one non-NRS game.
I kmow sonic plays more than one game, and he's great at them. How many of those games do you see him winning tournies for though? The reason I brkng up Justin is the fact that he also plays multiple games, but at a level capable of winning just about any tourny he walks in to play, and has been able to do this for a very long time. I think Sonic is a fantastic player please don't misconstrue, I just don't see him as one of the greatest of all time.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

JWong succeeds early in our games bevause he only plays them early...that's it. He stops playing because he doesn't like them, and for good reason. I'm not about to make this a discussion about how NRS games aren't very good compared to other games. That's an argument for another day.

Flagg

Noob
JWong succeeds early in our games bevause he only plays them early...that's it. He stops playing because he doesn't like them, and for good reason. I'm not about to make this a discussion about how NRS games aren't very good compared to other games. That's an argument for another day.
Here was me thinking that Wong stopped playing games because the rest of the community quickly catches up and starts posing a threat. This is the guy that said Johnny Cage had an infinity.

E

Eldriken

I kmow sonic plays more than one game, and he's great at them. How many of those games do you see him winning tournies for though? The reason I brkng up Justin is the fact that he also plays multiple games, but at a level capable of winning just about any tourny he walks in to play, and has been able to do this for a very long time. I think Sonic is a fantastic player please don't misconstrue, I just don't see him as one of the greatest of all time.
Did you not see the list of games he won all at one tournament just recently? :|

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

This idea is outdated.
No, Slips also played a hella mid tier character in mk and I dont even recall him playing Injustice in anything recent. As I said I'm not going to go into how NRS games are bad as it's not relevant to the thread. Wrapping it up fox is great, and has a huge ceiling for potential to grow and get better. Im just no where near ready to call him one of the greatest

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Here was me thinking that Wong stopped playing games because the rest of the community quickly catches up and starts posing a threat. This is the guy that said Johnny Cage had an infinity.
Yeah, it was pretty much just you thinking.

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
Recently no. Frankly I'm out of the fighting game loop and play mostly Pokemon competitively these days lol. Which games?
He won three games at Evo this year; Injustice MK and DOA, got top 4 in SG at Evo, won Injustice and MK at FR, won Inj MK SG Uniel and maybe DOA (didn't get an update on that one) at GUTS etc...

E

Eldriken

He won three games at Evo this year; Injustice MK and DOA, got top 4 in SG at Evo, won Injustice and MK at FR, won Inj MK SG Uniel and maybe DOA (didn't get an update on that one) at GUTS etc...
I don't believe he won DoA.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
He succeeds early because he applies his fighting game fundamentals, all there is to it. And when you play fighting games every day and are among the best, getting good at them quick is second nature. Capcom players quit NRS games because they don't play like Capcom games. If they didn't require skill and were easy, these Capcom guys would be able to come in and body everyone for free, which is what they claimed they were going to do in Injustice. But our players are actually good because they are good players, not because the game they are playing is easy to be good at.