What's new

SonicFox = Potential Greatest of All Time...And We Are Living In It

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The point of my thread was he's has the potential and instead of dismissing his skill like I see so much we should appreciate the greatness we are seeing because by the time it's all over he could be the goat
Exactly. "Potential to be the goat". And there's not 20+ years of high level, high profile MK tournaments. And MK only made to EVO since MK9's era. So in regards to the GOAT of NRS games, why is it unreasonable to say SonicFox is on that path? And currently, no other player can say that. REO is closest to him because he's been one of the best in every MK/NRS game, but REO never got an EVO championship and hasn't yet dominated MKX. @16 Bit

This thread is as bad as STORMS' REO = Daigo a couple of years ago.

As a matter of fact, this thread is worse.

The chances of Sonic Fox being potentially the greatest fighting game player of all time are as slim as Claude VonStroke having good footsies in Mortal Kombat 10.
We all love you , dave.

I don't understand how everyone can dicksuck regarding this much while we're all talking about.. NRS games.

I've seen fox in skullgirls, and he's pretty alright there. Far from top. But people comparing him to jwong or daigo or shit need to get their heads checked or fg experience levelled up.

You guys ultimately have to realize just how limited NRS games are in depth, execution, tech and skill requirement vs. most fighters in the fgc?

Sure fox is great at NRS games, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that doesn't say much (and you can at least not conclude anything from it) because competitively NRS games are fraudulent as hell by design.

There is def zero chance to compare fox to the greats in non-NRS games, and I personally find it insulting to those players.

I don't understand how everyone can dicksuck regarding this much while we're all talking about.. NRS games.

I've seen fox in skullgirls, and he's pretty alright there. Far from top. But people comparing him to jwong or daigo or shit need to get their heads checked or fg experience levelled up.

You guys ultimately have to realize just how limited NRS games are in depth, execution, tech and skill requirement vs. most fighters in the fgc?

Sure fox is great at NRS games, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that doesn't say much (and you can at least not conclude anything from it) because competitively NRS games are fraudulent as hell by design.

There is def zero chance to compare fox to the greats in non-NRS games, and I personally find it insulting to those players.
^^ i thought these people were gone since 2012 or so

omooba

fear the moobs
Hopefully fox is smart and focuses on College degree/potential master degree as well as enjoying life

There's way too many people in the FGC and this community who don't have a future planned or thought out and never will. Focus on your future and prepare yourself properly for every option while not forgetting to also enjoy life

Fox is incredibly gifted, intelligent and just overall talented so hopefully he focuses on what matters and supplements his life w enjoyable hobbies to suffice his hunger

Be smart, follow those who did

Your future > FGC
considering that he's made 6 figures in less than a month fgc would be a solid future
he should do both IMO

haketh

Noob

Fox is considered the best in SG right now, Dekillsage is the only one that can really be argued as POSSIBLY better.

Fox is considered the best in SG right now, Dekillsage is the only one that can really be argued as POSSIBLY better.
I will give you that I haven't followed it for some time (a year-ish, back then he was NOT top.) If I am incorrect on that, I apologize.

But honestly (and unfortunately as it's awesome) being good at such a niche and low population game again wouldn't really say much. But it still says a lot more about a player's overall ability than being good at an NRS game does. A 20-sec combo in an NRS game has one or two points you need a 1-2f link and people call it hard.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
But it still says a lot more about a player's overall ability than being good at an NRS game does. A 20-sec combo in an NRS game has one or two points you need a 1-2f link and people call it hard.
I can't think of a player considered a great that's top because of their ability to complete combos.

You are playing against other players, and everyone considered great acheived that status via their ability to get inside (and manipulate) the minds of their opponents.

The combo wizards make videos; the great players win when it counts.

RexyWrecks

RTSD All Day. I'm going in. No Vaseline.

Right... You're insulted, yet you're not even a top player... And we're the dick riders?

I can't think of a player considered a great that's top because of their ability to complete combos.

You are playing against other players, and everyone considered great acheived that status via their ability to get inside and manipulate the minds of their opponents
While I hoped it was obvious I never implied the only thing skill comes down to is execution, it unfortunately seems like I actually have to inform you this is not the case, and then expand with the fact options outside of combos/execution is also very limited compared to most comp fighters.

With that said, there are quite a few players famous namely BECAUSE of their execution, like Sako, and if you haven't heard about him/them, that's your own lack of knowledge.

You know what's funny about some SF players, they want NRS top player like Sonic Fox to prove they're good by also winning majors in their game because that's the only game that has fundamentals (Self Proclaimed LOL) . Apparently Sonic Fox winning the biggest tournaments on like 5 different games for like the past few years isn't enough to prove he's one of the best in the FGC. P.S. if MKX is so easy and cheap then they are the one suppose prove it by doing the cheap stuff on NRS top player and winning majors, surely it isn't going to take much time to do given the fact how difficult and execution heavy SF IV is compared to MKX, nothing to lose BRUH ;)

You know what's funny about some SF players, they want NRS top player like Sonic Fox to prove they're good by also winning majors in their game because that's the only game that has fundamentals (Self Proclaimed LOL) . Apparently Sonic Fox winning the biggest tournaments on like 5 different games for like the past few years isn't enough to prove he's one of the best in the FGC. P.S. if MKX is so easy and cheap then they are the one suppose prove it by doing the cheap stuff on NRS top player and winning majors, surely it isn't going to take much time to do given the fact how difficult and execution heavy SF IV is compared to MKX, nothing to lose BRUH ;)
Sonicfox is an incredible player. But comparing him to people who've dominated the scene in multiple games for longer than he's been alive is just kinda silly. Regardless of how well and how many games he plays there are others who've done the same, for longer, over multiple console generations.

Right... You're insulted, yet you're not even a top player... And we're the dick riders?
Of course I'm insulted. I play and enjoy most fighters. Some of them take a lot of devotion for even basic mastery.

MKX is bottom of the barrel when it comes to devotion vs. rewards, because it's barely necessary. So when I see people on a game like this suddenly put someone on line with daigo/jwong/latif/whoever, who have genuinely performed godlike feats across games and years. It's ridiculous. There're very few things one can do/that can happen in mkx that is impressive/a feat. That doesn't mean it's not fun, but something this limited is far from a testimony of skill.

With all that said, bear in mind I also acknowledged sfox as great, but I just don't think he's done anything remotely comparable.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
While I hoped it was obvious I never implied the only thing skill comes down to is execution, it unfortunately seems like I actually have to inform you this is not the case, and then expand with the fact options outside of combos/execution is also very limited compared to most comp fighters.

With that said, there are quite a few players famous namely BECAUSE of their execution, like Sako, and if you haven't heard about him/them, that's your own lack of knowledge.
Yet you have players like 2015 Daigo who drops a lot of combos, but still managed to make it to 2nd at Capcom Cup -- a feat most people will never acheive.

You're implying that what separates great players is the intrinsic level of the game's execution. It's a tired argument that has been disproven numerous times.

Yet you have players like 2015 Daigo who drops a lot of combos, but still managed to make it to 2nd at Capcom Cup -- a feat most people will never acheive.

You're implying that what separates great players is the intrinsic level of the game's execution. It's a tired argument that has been disproven numerous times.
Daigo doesn't drop a lot of combos. He drops "some". Any E. Ryu will drop combos when they've got 2-3 one frame links in rapid succession that have to be hit confirmed off of one single cr MK.

I actually started with sf as my first 2d fighter. I mostly play ggxrd now and consider it superior (particularly to sfv)

But what you're saying is not wrong. It's part of why I consider mkx fraudulent. Traditional 2d fighter fundamentals are not rewarded in mkx.

In most 2d fighters, a golden rule is: don't jump. Well, that's by default not true in this game. In, say, sf, you can never jump on me if I look for it. It will never work. So instead you throw out some pokes, and then when you expect the counterpoke, *then* you'll jump (as they cannot antiair you as they recover from the poke.)

These are very basic footsie fundamentals/mind games that are completely circumvented in mkx because of bad design when it comes to jumps and anti-airs, and it's simply a layer that doesn't exist. It doesn't offer anything different to consider; there's just less choice. And I suspect that's why a lot of fg players view mkx as a joke competitively, at least that's why it's this way for me.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I actually started with sf as my first 2d fighter. I mostly play ggxrd now and consider it superior (particularly to sfv)

But what you're saying is not wrong. It's part of why I consider mkx fraudulent. Traditional 2d fighter fundamentals are not rewarded in mkx.

In most 2d fighters, a golden rule is: don't jump. Well, that's by default not true in this game. In, say, sf, you can never jump on me if I look for it. It will never work. So instead you throw out some pokes, and then when you expect the counterpoke, *then* you'll jump (as they cannot antiair you as they recover from the poke.)

These are very basic footsie fundamentals/mind games that are completely circumvented in mkx because of bad design when it comes to jumps and anti-airs, and it's simply a layer that doesn't exist. It doesn't offer anything different to consider; there's just less choice. And I suspect that's why a lot of fg players view mkx as a joke competitively, at least that's why it's this way for me.
While I agree that anti-airs are weak in MKX, calling it bad design just sounds wrong. I've only played NRS fighting games so I have nothing to compare it to, but can't there just be a fighting game where jumping is a strong tool that both players can take advantage of?

Like why are you even here if you're only going to shit on the game?