What's new

So is anyone disappointed with how their mains turned out?

JLG

Noob
I knew this might happen, so I made a short list of the characters I'd be OK with swapping for a main. Goro was my first choice, but I'm liking Kotal now and we still have Predator, Jason and Tremor to try out. Eventually things will settle down and I'm sure we will all find the right character for ourselves, even if it's not the one we first thought it would be.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I was initially going to use commando Kano but I am still going through characters and trying to get a good feel for the game still. I need to make a custom layout stick for this game because none of the options available to me are adequate.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
I expected Liu to be combo heavy again but they seemed to tone him down in that regard as far as I can tell anyway so he isn't what I expected but he is still fun to play and fits my style. Scorps on the other hands is exactly what I thought he would be manly because we saw so much of him before the game dropped tho.

IROC

WP IROC
I think my main issue is understanding the mechanics of the game. As well as the shit ass xbox1 d-pad. So use to mk9 at this point in the game. Scorpion wasnt too far from mk9 scorp tech wise, but the button configuration for his moves have me screwed up lol. Oh i tested kotal kahn, and was pleased :)

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
I am as happy with Reptile as I could be - he's still really fun and his combos still look cool as fuck. I can still 3 hit, dash under you, do dumb shit? Cool, we in this.

D'Vorah was my go-to secondary and I really like her playstyle as well. It sucks that my favorite variation of her is the one that aesthetically looks the least appealing to me (Brood Mother).

Also, loving a lot of the new characters I thought looked boring before release - Jacqui, Cassie, and Kung Jin are all a ton of fun.

Shady

Noob
Too early to tell. I didn't even decide on a main until a week prior to release. As a Kabal main and Sonya secondary I didn't know what to expect from any of these characters. So far, I am entirely happy with Cassie. She's fast, she's fun and she's just complex enough to know there is more to be discovered down the pipeline. I really like the different set-up options which come into play with her variations.

I also like that a lot of her combos and pressure involve execution (run) and good reads (she's not overly positive on anything, but has great mix ups and pressure options) which may scare away some people right away.

Still haven't tried Sonya or Liu (two other characters I was really interested in).

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
So far I love my main Reptile. He had been nerfed in certain ways but buffed in others. If you learn one variation then you have pretty much learned them all. The only real exception is Nimble specific combos but that's about it.

Deceptive is proving to be stronger than expected with Reptile have a safe low and overhead that both lead to combos.

Reptile 4 Life!!!

itsmeMOB

Mileena's back!
Scorpion is noticeably slower than he was in MK9, especially in some of his combos and the Spear. I'm adjusting to it but it's hard when I naturally input his MK9 combos into my console and it doesn't go lol. I have to relearn his juggling and combos now though, I'll go into practice mode and feel him out in Ninjutsu since that's the variation I've been seeing the most combos with.

Although I am planning on maining Cassie too, and she's a baddie!

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I think more than disappointed I feel like I need more practice. I don't like that Takeda doesn't seem to handle himself that well up close but I feel like the more we practice we'll get comfortable. Idk what kind of stuff you guys are pulling off but I haven't broken the 38% 1 meter threshold yet.

Jeddite

Soul Kollector
Didn't pick a main for this very reason, but I was caught off guard by:

(1) How much I love Kotal Khan,
(2) How much I enjoy Shinnok's amazing zoning, and
(3) How much I hate Jacqui.

I really though Jacqui was going to be pretty top on my short list, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to play her well. I'm fairly certain its because I haven't gained a solid grasp on the run mechanic yet.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Takeda is pretty awesome, and even though I was worried day 1 now that I have had more time with him I can definitely tell he can hold his own.

Plus I've done a couple of run combos with him that are super satisfying.

JaeTea

Noob
I thought Mileena was somewhat blah in the vids...now playing as her she's awesome. Love her personality and look.

I just have to relearn EVERYTHING from MK9.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Very happy with how Sub-Zero turned out. Have been using Cryomancer and Grandmaster variations all day and just figured out how useful Unbreakable is against rush down opponents like Scorpion and Kung Lao.

If he had his ice clone in Cryomancer I'd be unstoppable lol.

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
I think it's a little early to get discouraged, (not that I'm disappointed at all) because there's so much to discover
in this game. It hasn't even been out for a month, so I guarantee a lot of tech is going to come out in the future
that could completely change the way we look at a character or variation.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I know a lot of us decided on our mains months ago. We often hear people say things like "Main confirmed, even if they ten out to be Kano/Joker tier!".

I was just wondering if anyone has got the game, gone into the lab and thought "ah fuck".

Maybe the main you had hopes for isn't ne shit, but just unfortunately doesn't for your play style?

Discuss
"Turned out"? You know all the ends and outs of your character? All combos, variations, punishes, match ups, strengths/weaknesses, etc? Put some actual time into your character instead of wanting an easy win button. I'm not meaning to sound like a dick, but just put in actual work before claiming your character is "bad".

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
My main, Raiden, is awesome! I love all the new moves, plus he really looks like a Thunder god now, with large amounts of lightnings all over him during combat and victory pose, etc. Plus, his X-Ray is epic. And I am not quite sure about that yet, but it feels his combo would be easier to pull off in this game compared to MK9.

Main is fine, my timing is the disappointment. Always dropping combos, getting hit by overheads and pecked to death by projectiles is not Kung Lao's fault.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Raiden is fucking sick. I couldn't be happier. Holy fucking fuck. *flex* FUCK
Yea, that's exactly how I felt when I took him to Training mode yesterday. Cannot wait to take him online. So far I've only tried his default variation. Can't wait to try the other two, mainly cause I need my Teleport lol

Jeddite

Soul Kollector
"Turned out"? You know all the ends and outs of your character? All combos, variations, punishes, match ups, strengths/weaknesses, etc? Put some actual time into your character instead of wanting an easy win button. I'm not meaning to sound like a dick, but just put in actual work before claiming your character is "bad".
Heh, I think OP really just meant to ask "Now that MKX is out, did your hype for your main die when you realized they don't play like you thought they would?" Certainly coulda worked on his phrasing better, but I get his intent.