What's new

Should testers be excluded from competing in the first few tournaments of the game?

Should testers be banned for the first couple tournaments of MKX?

• Total voters

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I cannot believe how many of you are ok with this. Especially those who have played in tournaments. There is no amount of time or practice that will allow you to defeat a tourney player with a years worth of daily play in a month. None.
In the first week of Injustice, I was playing against Sabin (a tester) on his stream and we were going back and forth. And I was using Ares. :p I don't know if that stream ever got archived or put on YouTube, but he had a lot of viewers, around 4k, so maybe it's out there somewhere.

Anyway, what are the majors within a month of MKX's release?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
True. But ultimately, if you're NRS, you're not going to come to TYM, see who puts on the most tech videos, determine what's useful and what's not (there's a lot of shit tech videos out there), and then go "yeah, we need to hire this guy." It's far simpler to just go by tournament results. Check is an exception since he's made a name for himself for being the combo/tech guy who can find broken shit, and he's undoubtedly valuable in that regard.
I found the parry glitch in MK9, got no props. I even got called a scumbag for finding it (true story). Not entirely relevant, just want my props though. :(

coolwhip

Noob
I cannot believe how many of you are ok with this. Especially those who have played in tournaments. There is no amount of time or practice that will allow you to defeat a tourney player with a years worth of daily play in a month. None.
You're right. That's why Dizzy beat 16 Bit at UFGT, and why Wound Cowboy beat Slips.

It is the same reason why everyone laughed at TotteryManx for saying he would MM Pig and beat him with 2 months of practice. Because you all know it's money in the bank for Pig.
That's a bad analogy. We laugh at TotteryManx because he's legit not that good at the game from what everyone has seen and is challenging an EVO finalist. Tottery could have been playing the game since day 1 and we'd laugh all the same.

I don't disagree with the narrative that testers have advantage but the above arguments are factually invalid.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
In the first week of Injustice, I was playing against Sabin (a tester) on his stream and we were going back and forth. And I was using Ares. :p I don't know if that stream ever got archived or put on YouTube, but he had a lot of viewers, around 4k, so maybe it's out there somewhere.

Its released the same time as IJ was, sooo what were the majors within a month of IJ's release?
Memory serving... UFGT, Summer jam, CEO, EVO?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Sounds good, until you look at the Top 3's of Injustice tournaments for the 1st 3 months that someone posted in this very thread.
To make it an easier analogy...
If I, and only I, tested the game before everyone else. Do you think I would beat everyone else, only because I'm a tester?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Final thoughts. I agree it's unfair to play against a tester in a tournament within a month of the release. It is unfair, and they do have an advantage. Should they be banned because of this? Personally I say no. The "as a competitor" card is not a good card to pull. As a competitor, I want to play against the best, no matter what. I don't want a watered down field just for the sake of fairness. Guess what, life isn't fair, #dealwithit. I want to play against the best, if the best are testers, awesome, I'll learn a lot when I body their candy asses. All of you who say "man, I payed money for this, I want a fair shot at winning", you're going 0-2 regardless, so stfu and put down your pom poms.

#JuggsForPrez

coolwhip

Noob
Sounds good, until you look at the Top 3's of Injustice tournaments for the 1st 3 months that someone posted in this very thread.
I did. And I saw Wound Cowboy outplacing Slips. You said there's literally no way to beat a tester within the first month of the game, which is factually incorrect. Nobody said the testers didn't dominate early on.

However, I maintain that Chris G, REO, Perfect Legend, CD Jr and co would literally dominate every top 8 early on regardless.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I'd argue that those who understand the mechanics of the game (and are usually better players than tech monsters) make for far better testers than tech guys. This is no disrespect against anyone, but yeah, I'd prefer those who are more knowledgeable about fighting games in general to test a game.
I disagree. Chris G is possibly the best fundamental player we have, which allows him to live off month 1 tactics throughout the duration of the game. If you have someone like McFly, Sonic Fox, or Doctrine Dark, they'll find the bullshit way before the average guy would 6 months down the line. It's fine to have a fundamental guy on staff, but the combo video makers and tech monsters are the best suited for the job.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

I believe you, but was he really going 100%? Plus, in the sense of competitive gaming Bit and PPJ are in higher regard which is more of my point. Those two guys will be playing MKX for the next forever amount of years and placing. They already get paid to play right now, do you want them getting paid to take your one month practice money too??

Most of the guys who are tourney players who tested Injustice dominated Top 3's for months after release. It is inevitable, but they should be able to just take everyone's money a month and two months after release. I'm willing to bet any amount of money a guy who tested the game wins the first tourney they enter if it's within the 1st two months.

Aquaman said there's a tourney a month after release, and he said he "knows" but I looked it up and say nothing. So I don't know whether he's knowledge or just talking bs lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I did. And I saw Wound Cowboy outplacing Slips. You said there's literally no way to beat a tester within the first month of the game, which is factually incorrect. Nobody said the testers didn't dominate early on.

However, I maintain that Chris G, REO, Perfect Legend, CD Jr and co would literally dominate every top 8 early on regardless.
Lex vs Zod is also 1-9 and not 0-10.

Just because it can happen once or twice within 3 months doesn't mean the other 6249436 didn't and won't happen. Which is my point.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
To make it an easier analogy...
If I, and only I, tested the game before everyone else. Do you think I would beat everyone else, only because I'm a tester?
No I don't think you would, and I wouldn't have a problem with it. You are a tech guy. There are tech guys, combo guys, etc, but there are also tournament guys.

I'm speaking specifically on proven tournament players. I understand it makes the matches more "hype", but that does nothing for someone who took their time and money to travel to an event, just to be scraped by a tournament player who has been living the game for a year in advance.

I would be sick to my stomach playing well in a tourney for example, just to run into PPJ in top 8 and be eliminated while he wins a huge pot. But like I said, if others are ok with that then more power to them.

coolwhip

Noob
I disagree. Chris G is possibly the best fundamental player we have, which allows him to live off month 1 tactics throughout the duration of the game. If you have someone like McFly, Sonic Fox, or Doctrine Dark, they'll find the bullshit way before the average guy would 6 months down the line. It's fine to have a fundamental guy on staff, but the combo video makers and tech monsters are the best suited for the job.
Except in my mind, it's far more important to have guys who understand balance, fundamentals, walkspeed, anti-air, move priority, etc... The broken stuff can be patched later. Fundementals of the game are more important because they are its chore base. You think NRS are too stupid to realize this? That's why they get guys like 16 Bit, Slips, Brady etc... and prioritize certain issues over infinites, broken stuff, and the like. There's a reason guys like 16 Bit and Slips are QA's, and others are brought in later to discover broken shit. McFly and other guys you mentioned (Fox being an exception, obviously) work best if you bring them for a week before release to clean things up.

Last edited:

SZSR

Noob
In my opinion, probably the first two weeks of the game's life. Yeah it's an arbitrary amount of time, but hear me out. With the community as large as it is now, new discoveries and tech are gonna be pretty rampant. 2 weeks will at least have the ball rolling already in the community and people will have a bead on things. IMO, 1 month might be a little too long to keep the testers out of the fun, cause I mean they tested this to make the game as fun to as many people as possible.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Except in my mind, it's far more important to have guys who understand balance, fundamentals, walkspeed, anti-air, move priority, etc... The broken stuff can be patched later. Fundementals of the game are more important because they are its basis. You think NRS are too stupid to realize this? That's why they get guys like 16 Bit, Slips, Brady etc... and prioritize certain issues over infinites, broken stuff, and the like. There's a reason guys like 16 Bit and Slips are QA's, and others are brought in later to discover broken shit. McFly and other guys you mentioned (Fox being an exception, obviously) work best if you bring them for a week before release to clean things up.
Which is why I said fundamental guys are good, but then days later there's almost always some infinite or glitch discovered by one of the tech guys. I disagree with fundamental guys being "far better." We need both to coexist, but we are in more need of the tech guys to remove the broken stuff. Do you think after 22 years that NRS is too stupid to know how to get the basics down?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I think two months, possibly 3, is enough time for people to catch up.

As for "Most" of the people saying they don't want any sort of limitations against tester advantage, they aren't seeing it from the point of view of someone who competes and wants a fair shot at winning (they just care about themselves and what they wanna see at home), they're probably also players who are not as competitive and don't travel.

Look at the first few majors and tell me honestly there was no tester advantage. Everyone who won, and nearly anyone who was in top 3 at these tournaments until evo were all testers. I think the first non tester to crack top 3 was at CEO in JUNE after injustice was released.

Top 8 doesnt mean shit, its winning that matters at these high payout tournaments so saying that top 8 is "reachable without being a tester" is pretty irrelevant. Hell even MLG, with all that money, only paid out top 4.
Woundcowboy UFGT

coolwhip

Noob
We need both to coexist, but we are in more need of the tech guys to remove the broken stuff. Do you think after 22 years that NRS is too stupid to know how to get the basics down?
By that logic why get testers at all then? Also, of course NRS are shaping the basics of the game. Paulo is. Not Slips, not 16 Bit, not PPJ. That's not the point though. The point is, the tech guys are only useful once the game has taken its shape. Get them on board from the get-go and they probably wouldn't really have valuable contributions. Again, broken shit can be patched. But balancing characters, understanding what each character needs, move priorities, etc... is invaluable, and only those who truly understand fighting games can have good input about it, as evidenced the ton of cringe worthy buff/nerf suggestions you see on TYM.

You're aware of the role Slips played in the October patch for example, right?