What's new

Should testers be excluded from competing in the first few tournaments of the game?

Should testers be banned for the first couple tournaments of MKX?

• Total voters

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
As someone with an extreme plan for when MKX is released, I desire to hear what the community thinks about testers competing with us normal guys that are just learning the game. With a large amount of money on the line, is it truly fair? Or should they be allowed the advantage?

Discuss

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
it Depends, Testers that have been playing the game as a job AKA 16 bit should be excluded for atleast the first month. testers that go for a week to test is where i'm iffy on, because it wouldn't be fair to bit and ppj etc but at the same time a week with the game early on isn't that much of an advantage, its like going to every expo that hold mkx like @Doombawkz ( <3 ) and just playing the shit out of the game early, like those beta testers. i think the cut off date for testers longer than a pre determined set off time should be a month, what that pre determined set of time is the question.

E

Eldriken

It depends. Does winning tournaments at the beginning of the games life matter that much to people?
I don't think the first few tournaments of a new game should hold much weight, if any at all. The competition isn't strong enough to try and brag about winning the first tournament of a newly released game. "Dur hur, I beat all the newbs because I've been testing the game for 6+ months. Bow before me."

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I see where seeing high level play comes into play, but what if a substantial pot was on the line? Why should guys pay to enter a tournament where they are already a year behind(or whatever)?
Yeah you are right. Thats why I said I would want them to play but I dont go to tournaments lol

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I don't think the first few tournaments of a new game should hold much weight, if any at all. The competition isn't strong enough to try and brag about winning the first tournament of a newly released game. "Dur hur, I beat all the newbs because I've been testing the game for 6+ months. Bow before me."
It depends. Does winning tournaments at the beginning of the games life matter that much to people?
Money

That's why.

I know first hand more than most.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
It wouldn't make a difference. Testers like Krayzie and Sabin would still be bad even if testing gave them an advantage

coolwhip

Noob
OK let's make things simpler and see how things will work out in practicality instead of all this theory fighting:

MKX will be released in April. The two QA's are GGA 16 Bit and GGA Pimpimjim. Those are the two guys who by then would have been working on the game for a year or so. These guys live in Chicago. There will be no majors in Chicago during that time (is there a replacement for UFGT? If there is, that's a month into the game's life span anyway). Since these guys will not be going to East Coast majors for well-documented reasons, you have nothing to worry about. By the time CEO rolls along, that would be two months into the game's life, which is pretty reasonable for them to travel and participate. If you can't level up in two months, then you're not losing because of the testers. You're just not that good (that's a general "you" here. I'm not addressing anyone in particular).

As far as other testers, the ones who are flown in for a week or so, I would say they should probably sit out for the first couple of weeks into the game's life span. So for instance, testers who happen to live on the East Coast would participate in ECT, but not Civil War. There, problem solved.

@Mr Aquaman Does that sound fair? If so, let's start pushing this idea.

Last edited:
Hard to say...

Do I want to exclude testers from tournaments? Hell no. I'd rather watch people experienced with the game in grand finals rather than see a mess of dropped combos and people who hardly understand matchups.

But would it be fair? Course not. They have an unfair advantage and it doesn't make sense they have a better shot at the money.

You need to understand that from a stream viewer perspective, there's really no advantage in banning testers though. We get to see more cool stuff if they play, and we aren't losing out on any monetary winnings so we don't care about fairness. Even I will try to make it to as many early tournaments as I can- but knowing I'll probably get bodied no matter what- I can't say I really care if I get bodied because that person tested the game.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
OK let's make things simpler and see how things will work out in practicality instead of all this theory fighting:

MKX will be released in April. The two QA's are GGA 16 Bit and GGA Pimpimjim. Those are the two guys who would have been playing the game for a year or so. These guys live in Chicago. There will be no majors in Chicago during that time (is there a replacement for UFGT? If there is, that's a month into the game's life span anyway). Since these guys will not be going to East Coast majors for well-documented reasons, you have nothing to worry about. By the time CEO rolls along, that would be two months into the game's life, which is pretty reasonable for them to travel and participate. If you can't level up in two months, then you're not losing because of the testers. You're just not that good (that's a general "you" here. I'm not addressing anyone in particular).

As far as other testers, the ones who are flown in for a week or so, I would say they should probably sit out for the first couple of weeks into the game's life span. So for instance, testers who happen to live on the East Coast would participate in ECT, but not Civil War. There, problem solved.

@Mr Aquaman Does that sound fair? If so, let's start pushing this idea.
Civil War is no more. I am asking because there will be something where they can compete, only a month into the game. Don't ask about it either.

Is it fair to ask guys to compete in MKX say a month into the game with testers present?

E

Eldriken

Civil War is no more. I am asking because there will be something where they can compete, only a month into the game. Don't ask about it either.

Is it fair to ask guys to compete in MKX say a month into the game with testers present?
Of course it's not fair. Not to the people entering the tournament who aren't testers, anyway. But like Tony at Home said, stream viewers are less likely to care because they want to see hype Grand Finals instead of people button mashing.

coolwhip

Noob

Yes, I'd say a month into the game, it's fair game. I'm not saying everybody would then be on equal ground, but a month is plenty of time to get familiar with the game's mechanics, start getting acquainted with your character, etc... Because otherwise, where's the drop off? EVO? Beyond EVO?

And again, asking simply whether "testers should be banned" is a bit vague and will lead us nowhere. I think we should separate between QA's and the testers who are only there for a week or so (or more, if they end up staying longer there this time), and we should also define "banned" by explaining just how long "banned" is.

EDIT: Please, in order to give this thread a remote chance of being productive, everyone in favor of a banning testers, can you please specify for how long. Have something concrete. It's better that way.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yes, I'd say a month into the game, it's fair game. I'm not saying everybody would then be on equal ground, but a month is plenty of time to get familiar with the game's mechanics, start getting acquainted with your character, etc... Because otherwise, where's the drop off? EVO? Beyond EVO?

And again, asking simply whether "testers should be banned" is a bit vague and will lead us nowhere. I think we should separate between QA's and the testers who are only there for a week or so (or more, if they end up staying longer there this time), and we should also define "banned" by explaining just how long "banned" is.

EDIT: Please, in order to give this thread a remote chance of being productive, everyone in favor of a banning testers, can you please specify for how long. Have something concrete. It's better that way.
Analyzing what is pretty simple, should I want to pay to guarantee my loss? lol

Injustices History, first 3 majors
Reo/Brady/ChrisG/:eek:
Brady/Reo/Chris G/ Jr (YO UL)
Chris G/Wound/Sabin/Slips

and this was the first 2 months before evo?

TESTERS

E

Eldriken

I wouldn't have them banned for long. Maybe just the first tournament and possibly the second (depending on how far away the second one is from the first). But I'd say the first at most. After that, people will have had plenty of time to come to terms with the game and possibly discover tech.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
@Mr Aquaman lolwut you weren't a tester and you made top 8 at the first IGAU major. Yea, a tester won, but you showed that new players can still compete.

Then others started making top 8 in just a couple months into the games life, and they weren't testers.

A tester didnt win EVO either.

Personally, Idgaf. We go in to these early majors knowing that people who have been testing the game will be there. That's our fault for entering and we can't be mad at anyone else but ourselves.

Plus its hype seeing high level play at such an early stage. Remember Civil War last year and REO's Batman? That was hype af lol

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Mr Aquaman lolwut you weren't a tester and you made top 8 at the first IGAU major. Yea, a tester won, but you showed that new players can still compete.

Then others started making top 8 in just a couple months into the games life, and they weren't testers.

A tester didnt win EVO either.

Personally, Idgaf. We go in to these early majors knowing that people who have been testing the game will be there. That's our fault for entering and we can't be mad at anyone else but ourselves.

Plus its hype seeing high level play at such an early stage. Remember Civil War last year and REO's Batman? That was hype af lol
@xKhaoTik on MKX release

;]

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
They should be banned from competing in any release date tournaments. I believe it'll only take a week to understand the mechanics of the game. The meta won't be developed until months after release. Bits (only tester I know of, just using him as an example) only advantage would be combos and tech, also vague match up knowledge seeing as itll take more than a few testers to figure out the meta. My opinion, ban them from the release date tournaments, and after that its all game.