What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Thanks! I believe he's played Doctor-Stabs numerous times although Stabs plays Impostor more and is still getting the hang of Bone Shaper. Other than that, not sure who else. I'm doing my best to teach him the MU before EVO.
Ah ok. It's just that he was getting hit by tons of the unblockable and kept trying to jump over hell sparks instead of trading with puddle or bug, those kind of things, that's why I was wondering how much experience he had. It's good though because now if I play this matchup I'll know how to handle it :D

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Hey everybody, I'm one of those FOTM Shinnoks that have probably been popping up all over since DR did so well at ECT. First of all, I've got to say I love this character so damn much. I even got to play him before Boneshaper got buffed since the PC version might as well be stuck in the 80's. I loved it then, and when the buffs hit I liked it even more.

The things that draw me to the character (or any character really) are the restands and strong anti airs. It's the anti airs I wanted to talk about. AA's are one of the biggest holes in my skill set. Truth be told, I'm just not good at them. It's one of the things I need to work on to "git gud" as is so often suggested around here. Here are the options I've worked out to use, and I'd like to know if I've missed any.
  • Hell Sparks: Amazing AA against jump ins. This has honestly won me a lot of games against people who won't stay on the ground.
  • d2: Fast d2 with a good hitbox. Very dependable.
  • 1: It takes more skill, but Shinnok's 1 has a very high hitbox and can be followed up with f22 1+3 for +20% damage and a restand. Wish I could do this one consistently, but I'm not there yet.
  • Pre-emptive Jump attacks: Whether it be ji1, jb1, or njp, if you read the jump you can get 24% from this and a restand.
I'm pretty sure I covered all the options. I haven't really had much success low profiling with a d3/4, but maybe it works for some people. Not sure. Does anyone have anything to add?

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
Hey everybody, I'm one of those FOTM Shinnoks that have probably been popping up all over since DR did so well at ECT. First of all, I've got to say I love this character so damn much. I even got to play him before Boneshaper got buffed since the PC version might as well be stuck in the 80's. I loved it then, and when the buffs hit I liked it even more.

The things that draw me to the character (or any character really) are the restands and strong anti airs. It's the anti airs I wanted to talk about. AA's are one of the biggest holes in my skill set. Truth be told, I'm just not good at them. It's one of the things I need to work on to "git gud" as is so often suggested around here. Here are the options I've worked out to use, and I'd like to know if I've missed any.
  • Hell Sparks: Amazing AA against jump ins. This has honestly won me a lot of games against people who won't stay on the ground.
  • 1: It takes more skill, but Shinnok's 1 has a very high hitbox and can be followed up with f22 1+3 for +20% damage and a restand. Wish I could do this one consistently, but I'm not there yet.
  • Pre-emptive Jump attacks: Whether it be ji1, jb1, or njp, if you read the jump you can get 24% from this and a restand.
I'm pretty sure I covered all the options. I haven't really had much success low profiling with a d3/4, but maybe it works for some people. Not sure. Does anyone have anything to add?
D4 is generally just good in footsies or if you think someone is going to run in you can preemptively d4 since it has a decent amount of active frames

Good stuff! Had Honeybee faced yours or any other Bone Shapers before though? Doesn't look like he was really familiar with the matchup until nearer the end.

Eh? Who uses 312?

Shinnok was not "really good" day 1 lol, he was pretty much the worst character in the game.

But really? Jumping ship because of a not-that-detrimental nerf to hell sparks? Even jumping ship because you think he might get nerfed? Those would be stupid reasons to be honest. Changing character at all for any reason besides getting bored of a character is usually a pretty stupid idea, if you like a character just play them.
Oh no... not you. Shinnok wasn't bad first day, compared with Kitana and Goro? Please. He was NO WHERE NEAR the worst character in the game. Impostor variation (even without the OP hell spaks), was his go to variation that easily went toe-to-toe with the top tiers at the time. And when did I say I would jump ship to another character? I was posting a question in regards to whether or not Shinnok is a character one should main solely alone or should you have a back up in case matchups go wrong. NOTHING about me crying about me dropping him (the hell you think I have Shinnok as my little avatar? He's my main and i'll go to my grave before I give him up).

GS_Zodiac

I'm not getting any answers here lol. Why does this site not have any mu assistance ever lol

SPY

Noob
Hell Sparks: Amazing AA against jump ins. This has honestly won me a lot of games against people who won't stay on the ground.
exHell Sparks 7f start up and good damage, high vertical hitbox. Since you can convert from AA HS, exHS becomes quite nice option.
AA d2 can be converter to combo too, but it's much harder than AA HS.
d1 can be used as anti cross up and can be converted to combo.
j2 has incredible range, if you jump back with it you can outrange most opponents jip attempts and convert it to f22 combo.

Standing 1, while it's good attack, it can easily get out prioritized by jumping attacks and even on trade you are at disadvantage.

Second Saint

I knew it was only a matter of time before the Shinnok scare starts spreading.

I fear the worst.

GGs guys, we had a nice run.
Did I help start the Shinnokalypse? Yay, go me!

But seriously, if I'm the first indication here of a Shinnok scare a month after ECT, I don't think it will be much of a problem. The only other Shinnok I've seen on steam is...I think it might be you actually.

EDIT: It appears I've gotten my tournaments mixed up, which defeats my whole point. Only 2 weeks since CEO. Let the panic commence.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Did I help start the Shinnokalypse? Yay, go me!

But seriously, if I'm the first indication here of a Shinnok scare a month after ECT, I don't think it will be much of a problem. The only other Shinnok I've seen on steam is...I think it might be you actually.
Not you. There's a thread going on that Bone Shaper is the best character in the game at the moment. We're talking about that.

Are you from the EU? I don't remember playing you. I play mostly private matches but sometimes I go to rooms or ranked when I'm bored and there's no one to play.

Second Saint

Not you. There's a thread going on that Bone Shaper is the best character in the game at the moment. We're talking about that.

Are you from the EU? I don't remember playing you. I play mostly private matches but sometimes I go to rooms or ranked when I'm bored and there's no one to play.
No, I'm from the USA, but your name seems familiar. I'm mainly a War God Kotal Kahn player, and I recall getting beaten by a pretty impressive Impostor Shinnok awhile back, before CEO. Can't really remember the name for certain though.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
No, I'm from the USA, but your name seems familiar. I'm mainly a War God Kotal Kahn player, and I recall getting beaten by a pretty impressive Impostor Shinnok awhile back, before CEO. Can't really remember the name for certain though.
No I only play Bone Shaper.

Also I'm from the EU so we couldn't have had a good match because it would've been laggy.

Second Saint

No I only play Bone Shaper.

Also I'm from the EU so we couldn't have had a good match because it would've been laggy.
Guess I just saw your name while you were in the lobby then. Also, I've had some surprisingly decent connections to Europeans. Nothing perfect, but certainly playable. It's really hit or miss though. Global communities, man. Rough stuff. I had a friend in I:GAU from Uruguay, and he could play basically me and no one else.

Youphemism

Oh no... not you. Shinnok wasn't bad first day, compared with Kitana and Goro? Please. He was NO WHERE NEAR the worst character in the game. Impostor variation (even without the OP hell spaks), was his go to variation that easily went toe-to-toe with the top tiers at the time. And when did I say I would jump ship to another character? I was posting a question in regards to whether or not Shinnok is a character one should main solely alone or should you have a back up in case matchups go wrong. NOTHING about me crying about me dropping him (the hell you think I have Shinnok as my little avatar? He's my main and i'll go to my grave before I give him up).
Dude, Shinnok was easily one of the worst characters in the game. At least Kitana and Goro had good meterless damage (and launchers) and overheads no matter how slow, Shinnok didn't. Necromancer was super shit to the point where there was no point in playing it because it didn't work properly and Bone Shaper was mediocre at best. Yes Impostor was his best variation but it still wasn't that great, and there is NO way he went "toe-to-toe" with the top tiers. Not with Raiden, D'Vorah, Quan all being MUCH less meter reliant, having MUCH better mixups and better damage. He was SUPER meter reliant, had hitbox issues galore and was unsafe on pretty much everything, which although Kitana was super unsafe, both her and Goro didn't have to worry about the majority of the rest of those things. Kitana and Goro were also really bad and bottom 5 but at least all their variations worked (to my knowledge).
And you asked if you should invest in another character, that's a pretty ambiguous question. You could've meant that you were going to switch which is what I assumed. But what the hell are you going on about? Where's the crying and avatar thing coming from? I never said any of that, I was just saying it'd be stupid to drop him over one nerf. Not my fault the question was open for interpretation lol.

GS_Zodiac

Face it. It's a scare and because of that he's going to get normalized. Hopefully he'll still be top 10 anyways

Youphemism

If they do then I WILL drop the game. Not because of my character, but because NRS is only doing trying to stop the crying. Shinnok IS STILL the best B tier IMO or at the very best bottom A.
Don't say that outside in the real world, that's where we get pissed on for thinking that...

EVEN THOUGH WE MAIN THE FUCKING CHARACTER AND THEY DON'T.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Youphemism, post: 1817334, member: 28935"]Dude, Shinnok was easily one of the worst characters in the game. At least Kitana and Goro had good meterless damage (and launchers) and overheads no matter how slow, Shinnok didn't. Necromancer was super shit to the point where there was no point in playing it because it didn't work properly and Bone Shaper was mediocre at best. Yes Impostor was his best variation but it still wasn't that great, and there is NO way he went "toe-to-toe" with the top tiers. Not with Raiden, D'Vorah, Quan all being MUCH less meter reliant, having MUCH better mixups and better damage. He was SUPER meter reliant, had hitbox issues galore and was unsafe on pretty much everything, which although Kitana was super unsafe, both her and Goro didn't have to worry about the majority of the rest of those things. Kitana and Goro were also really bad and bottom 5 but at least all their variations worked (to my knowledge).
And you asked if you should invest in another character, that's a pretty ambiguous question. You could've meant that you were going to switch which is what I assumed. But what the hell are you going on about? Where's the crying and avatar thing coming from? I never said any of that, I was just saying it'd be stupid to drop him over one nerf. Not my fault the question was open for interpretation lol.
Quan Chi is extremely meter dependent.

In Summoner, he needs meter to effectively zone. He needs meter to keep his 50/50 safe after bat is blocked. Although this is admittedly his less meter dependent variation, he needs at least one bar to make footsies safe at all times.

In Sorcerer, he needs MB Rune to make all but his f212 string safe.

In Warlock, he needs Rune for his vortex, Rune to keep himself safe in footsies and EN Low Grab to get up off the ground.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So, I've been working on Necro Shinnok and Bone Shaper.

I'm having some difficulty applying his mb Hellspark pressure.

As I understand it, if you do something like f41 MB Hellsparks, you can follow up with another f41 in Bone Shaper. In practice, i set the AI to reversal armor. So far, i get armored out of my follow ups.

How do i assure that my follow up after mb Hellsparks is air tight? So far, the pushback even on mb Hellspark after the first fireball pushes them back. If i try to run, i take armor.

How should i fix this?