What's new

Strategy "Shazam!" -- Captain Marvel General Discussion Thread

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
First off, I appreciate the in-depth response. This was very informative.

I'm interested in Shazam for a few reasons. First, contrary to what you said, I was under the impression that he fared well against Aquaman. He doesn't care about his trait and his horrible wakeups make the oki game even more in Shazam's favor. As a Batman main, this seemed like a suitable alternate to use in this MU. However, if Aquaman is actually one of his worst matchups, then this reason is nill. Second, I think Shazam's combos are the best-looking in the game, and would enjoy using them. Third, I've been interested in picking up a lower tier character and trying to make them viable. Fourth, I'm definently a more patient and conservative player, and it seemed like this type of play is what Shazam demands given his lack of mixups (but I wanted to confirm this with question 5).

I'm still just messing around with him at this point, haven't yet decided if I'm really going to invest.
Shazam Can go 5-5 with Aquaman. Some say its 6-4 Shazam. You need to know the distances of each move on both sides to understand the MU. Aquaman does have longer Limbs and a great anti air. But His Shit WU and the fact shazam has options after MB trident Rush is pretty helpful. From the Deep isnt that big of an issue. Just block and go in. And if it does it when you are too close you can command grab punish. I do not think this is a losing MU for Shazam. You need to disrespect the aquaman player a lot. Also be careful in the MU since Aquaman can punish torpedo at a very far range.

He fairs well against AQ. He doesn't win the matchup, he just has the tools to fight him where a lot of characters don't. The biggest problem you'll encounter in the matchup is when AQ does absolutely Nothing and then you get punished because you feel you have to hit him or you'll lose. It's super frustrating and stressful to face a defensive AQ. You can't zone him, you can barely space him out, and now you have to open him up. His b12 outranges your low grab and if you try to b2/torpedo in you eat 40% if he blocks.

If you're going to pick him up, try to have fun at least even if you're going to play him for one matchup. Realistically just learn how to time a meaty grab on AQ wakeup, and learn how to beat his wakeups when you aren't going to grab.

Indecisive

He fairs well against AQ. He doesn't win the matchup, he just has the tools to fight him where a lot of characters don't. The biggest problem you'll encounter in the matchup is when AQ does absolutely Nothing and then you get punished because you feel you have to hit him or you'll lose. It's super frustrating and stressful to face a defensive AQ. You can't zone him, you can barely space him out, and now you have to open him up. His b12 outranges your low grab and if you try to b2/torpedo in you eat 40% if he blocks.

If you're going to pick him up, try to have fun at least even if you're going to play him for one matchup. Realistically just learn how to time a meaty grab on AQ wakeup, and learn how to beat his wakeups when you aren't going to grab.
Doing nothing isnt too bad. Got to play patient and also do nothing. Get in there mind. Wait for the right time and get the command Grab. Sometimes you have to do nothing as well to get the win. Playng against any defensive player can be a pain. But learning how to deal with them is something you have to do sometimes.

shinobispectre

Heart of A Champion, Skill of a Noob :P

I'm interested in Shazam for a few reasons. First, contrary to what you said, I was under the impression that he fared well against Aquaman. He doesn't care about his trait and his horrible wakeups make the oki game even more in Shazam's favor. As a Batman main, this seemed like a suitable alternate to use in this MU. However, if Aquaman is actually one of his worst matchups, then this reason is nill. Second, I think Shazam's combos are the best-looking in the game, and would enjoy using them. Third, I've been interested in picking up a lower tier character and trying to make them viable. Fourth, I'm definently a more patient and conservative player, and it seemed like this type of play is what Shazam demands given his lack of mixups (but I wanted to confirm this with question 5).

I'm still just messing around with him at this point, haven't yet decided if I'm really going to invest.
Yeah that one was more personal experience for me. Again it was just my opinion. I struggle to get down fundamentals or normals and such. Facing primarily defensive aquamans was the reason I felt that matchup was so bad haha. Maybe Aquaman is just my bad matchup as a player. I haven't explored too much to give a definite opinion and I threw it in there. I love your second point I really like Shazam's combos as well. Personally I have a lot of fun ending combos with Achilles' Clutch. For your fourth point it is definitely viable to play a more patient Shazam even the point of an occasional zoning opportunity. Nothing like Aquaman or something, but throwing Bolt actually helps in certain matchups. I think Indecisive was talking about playing more patient Shazam so you may want to talk to him.

Recently people have gone "crazy" and participated in Shazam mirrors. I recommend you check them out, not to gain matchup knowledge but take a look at how certain players play Shazam and see if that is what you like and would incorporate to your playstyle. This suggestion is of course secondary to actually trying out the character yourself. There are lots and lots of videos showcasing Heroic Legacy and Indecisive at the GGA tournaments and the Break tournament respectively. Both I think are very different Shazam players so you could see if they have anything you could pickup. That's how I advanced my playstyle anyway, I am more aggressive side but try to pickup tactics from both players. EGP Wonder_Chef also has a lot of videos showcasing SHAZAM. Although he has really been more a random select player as of late :p.

Indecisive

I'm thinking about picking up this character. I had a few questions though that hopefully some of you guys can answer:

1. How do you go about opening up the opponent outside of HM? I know that d3 is pretty much guaranteed and leads into oki, but anything else?
2. Does he have any crossup tech?
3. In what situations should you use b23?
4. How good is his d2?
5. Is Shazam better when being very aggressive, or being patient, blocking, and waiting to punish an opponent's mistake?
6. What would you say are his 2 best and 2 worst matchups?
My Turn since im bored.

1. What i tend to do is using B2 to open people up. If they block i cancel into torpedo. His Jump 2 is really good. But watch out for people with good anti airs. His d1 is a 6 frame Jab thats +2 on block. His d2 is also a decent Footsie tool. On block his d1, d2, Ji1, and cross up ji2 go into a tick throw. But know the distance of your command grabs to get them when they least expect it. If you are able to read a back dash you can get them with torpedo also.

2. Ummmm. He has his cross up J2, His body walk after Torpedo MB. Thats about it

3. I use b2 string as a wiff punish or a way to keep pressure in the corner. I use B23 to anti Air if i need to. Its very useful.

4. His d2 i use for a footsie tool. Anti-air wise its okay. It has a weird range. If i saw you in person i could describe it.

5. Depends on the person. Everyone plays Shazam Differently. I try to be Patient.

6. His good MU's are Grundy, Scorpion i guess. Worst would be Green Arrow and Green Lantern. IMO

shinobispectre

Wait I messed up. Nightwing. One of his worst matchups is EASILY NIGHTWING. Especially Nightwing in Staff Stance.

Also if you would like I have been working on the Shoryuken Wiki, it is not a comprehensive guide. I wanted to create an easy page to just put Shazam information.

Furthermore if anyone could/would like to/want to etc. Please check out the wiki page and anything criticisms, comments, additions you would like/want/advise.

Yes I know there is an Injustice/TestYourMight wiki. I just found it after the Shoryuken. I will try to fill out the TestYourMight wiki as well. But please let me know of any suggested improvements.

Last edited:

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
EGP Wonder_Chef also has a lot of videos showcasing SHAZAM. Although he has really been more a random select player as of late :p.
Haha I'm always a random select player, but Shazam will always be closest to my heart.

It's just so hard to justify using him in tournament when everyone around me uses hella top tiers =[

Also for anyone looking my Shazam videos are here https://www.youtube.com/user/Wh4t1t1s/search?query=shazam but a lot of them are old.

shinobispectre

Haha I'm always a random select player, but Shazam will always be closest to my heart.

It's just so hard to justify using him in tournament when everyone around me uses hella top tiers =[

Also for anyone looking my Shazam videos are here https://www.youtube.com/user/Wh4t1t1s/search?query=shazam but a lot of them are old.
Meh. It's not hard to justify, certain matchups make it downright impossible. It's not even just hella top tiers, wakeup attacks and grab that are one direction push away from being useless hurt him. No universal grab or even fuzzy guard mechanic to abuse, he lacks a lot of tools other lower tier characters seem to have that allow them to break out occasionally. I don't bother with thinking Shazam will break into the "major" scene. I hope for it definitely. But more so than just tournament scene, a lot of people just seem to like the characters and busting him out in casuals or as a secondary against certain matchups. Fingers crossed he becomes balanced in the next DC fighter. In the sense he is more viable, not uber broken tier... but hey that would not hurt, just saying.

mfkaoz

Banned
How do you confirm 2 into AC? I've been trying in practice mode for a while now and I still can't get it down.

Indecisive

Yeah in combo.
Turn off Release Check then Try it. If that doesnt work your doing it too soon and the game is still registering the pervious button input. Being 2. Which is the input needed for bolt. If that makes sense.

Indecisive

Missed the stream, watched the highlight it had. I didn't see any archive but I will try to look for it later. I enjoyed it! I love how powerful trait is and I really need to start using it more earlier in matches. Thank you for sharing this.
More trait. It lasts for around 10 seconds. Comes back in about that time as well.

mfkaoz

Banned
Haha I have to write an essay and stuff. College is annoying -_- but definitely going to check it out looking forward the high damage.
Don't get your hopes up too much lol I'm not the greatest. I do pull off a couple 50% combos here and there though.

shinobispectre

Don't get your hopes up too much lol I'm not the greatest. I do pull off a couple 50% combos here and there though.
It's all good. I enjoy watching Shazam and I always learn something.

Okay did Digit really just take Texas Showdown with SHAZAM? What just happened? I just saw this so I am really curious. Were there just not people with Shazam experience there? I noticed KH members so people Digit regularly faces but really? I am not knocking his skill, I am just really surprised!

Edit: Congratulations to Digit. Haha I'm just late to the party. I'm reading the comments now. This is exciting. Hopefully this makes more people interested in the character. When they find how difficult he is but fun, they keep him as a secondary :p

Last edited: