What's new

Strategy "Shazam!" -- Captain Marvel General Discussion Thread

shinobispectre

Heart of A Champion, Skill of a Noob :P
Same thing for Flash! I like his injustice outfit and the other concepts were good, but the only thing they left out is his yellow boots! That's like his most iconic thing. The wings on his shoes are hardly noticeable.

The pic I posted is the Captain Marvel from the moba "Infinite Crisis".
Haha yeah I figured after I replied. In my opinion they didn't capture his speed that well in his design. Flash's suit seems really edged in Regime. Normal was pretty sweet. And definitely I feel you on that gold part. Shazam's normal design and new 52 could use some more gold. The white lightning is cool, but gold lightning symbol and effect... Yeah. This is getting more flash discussion but I gotta say I really like that Elseworld design.

shinobispectre

I just wish they had kept his main costume hoodless, the body armor is actually pretty awesome.
THAT'S WHAT I DON'T GET. The whole point of a hood is for cover and concealment. The fool takes it off with in seconds of getting in the comic and everyone knows his face... What's the point of the cloak? Cape is alright but og cape wayyy better imo. Black Adam's new 52 in Injustice is even worse, I like it in the comic but the hooded version in game doesn't do the badass vibe he gives off...justice.

shinobispectre

The problem with his High/Low mixup game is that it's a 50/50 for both you and the opponent. His crossup command grab jailing setups are really nice, but the fact that a lot of characters can just crouch to avoid your HM is really lame. You don't want to toss out AC on the off chance that they're standing so they can full combo punish you.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe HM is much safer vs a crouching opponent than AC is vs a standing opponent--thus it's the go-to attempt by default. His guessing game is reallllly fun, but the more and more I play Shazam, I find myself guessing just as much as my opponent lol.
I hear you. I LOVED your video by the way. Liked and favorited. Honestly I don't see the point of Achille's Clutch. I love the animation! Just BAM fly up powerbomb. But a regular command grab Herculean Might seems so much better in terms of positioning and combos... I would give it up in an instant for a regular command HM. I don't know maybe for Injustice 2, make HM a regular light damage high speed command grab and change Achille's Clutch to an anti air grab like the other grapplers have. Generic kind of, but the style of Injustice doesn't seem to lend it towards 50/50 grabs... I feel that self guessing sometimes as well, but really that's more saying to the power of some of the wakeup moves in the game. I hate to say it, but Shazam's Tele on wakeup seems on some characters :p. OOOO I got it! Change his trait to shoot down a bolt of lightning that forces standing in Injustice 2... Trait vortex? Muahahahaha Now the opponent can do all the guessing.

shinobispectre

People have no idea how bad torpedo can be once you're auto-piloting the torpedos.
I love how sometimes people seem to forget it hits overhead. I watched Heroic Legacy vs Catwoman player recently. He straight up did like 4 torpedoes in a row. I'm not talking shit. That was the funniest thing I had ever seen. Blowing up wakeups, improperly timed or not it was awesome to watch.

shinobispectre

Ya your right. Mirror Matches don't really do much. I didn't know shit about the Shazam Mirror. Digit did. And shazam has trouble Punishing Shazam stuff. Hence why i say Shazam v Shazam is a 6-4 In Shazams favor :p. But Its tough to deal with Torpedo Online man.
A favorable matchup for SHAZAM?! Blasphemy. But seriously talk about second guessing yourself. Shazam mirrors will spin your head for days. I know it does for me.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I hear you. I LOVED your video by the way. Liked and favorited. Honestly I don't see the point of Achille's Clutch. I love the animation! Just BAM fly up powerbomb. But a regular command grab Herculean Might seems so much better in terms of positioning and combos... I would give it up in an instant for a regular command HM. I don't know maybe for Injustice 2, make HM a regular light damage high speed command grab and change Achille's Clutch to an anti air grab like the other grapplers have. Generic kind of, but the style of Injustice doesn't seem to lend it towards 50/50 grabs... I feel that self guessing sometimes as well, but really that's more saying to the power of some of the wakeup moves in the game. I hate to say it, but Shazam's Tele on wakeup seems on some characters :p. OOOO I got it! Change his trait to shoot down a bolt of lightning that forces standing in Injustice 2... Trait vortex? Muahahahaha Now the opponent can do all the guessing.
Thanks man!

And yeah I agree with you. Shazam is a weird character in that he absolutely wrecks ppl when he guesses right and reallllly struggles if he gets in, guesses wrong, and gets pushed away all over again. I played a long set with DragonGod's Black Adam this weekend and the matches were really random--either I get bodied by zoning or he loses a lifebar because he guesses wrong once I get in.

shinobispectre

Thanks man!

And yeah I agree with you. Shazam is a weird character in that he absolutely wrecks ppl when he guesses right and reallllly struggles if he gets in, guesses wrong, and gets pushed away all over again. I played a long set with DragonGod's Black Adam this weekend and the matches were really random--either I get bodied by zoning or he loses a lifebar because he guesses wrong once I get in.
On that matchup what did DragonGod do on wakeup? Outside of cage BA doesn't seem to have much. And cage seems so easy to bait now. It's range seems so short.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
On that matchup what did DragonGod do on wakeup? Outside of cage BA doesn't seem to have much. And cage seems so easy to bait now. It's range seems so short.
He was reallllly good about not waking up with cage unless I jumped over him for the crossup. Usually he would just crouch my resets and HM would whiff. Then I had to start using AC on reset, which would catch him, but I can't get much damage off of it without burning 2 meters. Really sucks that he doesn't have a command grab that hits both standing and crouching.

Error

DF2+R2
He was reallllly good about not waking up with cage unless I jumped over him for the crossup. Usually he would just crouch my resets and HM would whiff. Then I had to start using AC on reset, which would catch him, but I can't get much damage off of it without burning 2 meters. Really sucks that he doesn't have a command grab that hits both standing and crouching.
You get like 38% off of AC though, unless this was online. AC F223 AC.

Am I the only one who feels like Shazam is reliant on having a stage with a background bounce? Really helps to boost damage and to get meterless damage that he lacks.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
You get like 38% off of AC though, unless this was online. AC F223 AC.

Am I the only one who feels like Shazam is reliant on having a stage with a background bounce? Really helps to boost damage and to get meterless damage that he lacks.
I don't ever go for AC, F223, AC. I probably should though.

As for the background bounce... I think its nice to add 3-5% to his combos... but I don't know how you're getting meterless wallbounce combos. The only reliable background bounce combo I use is:

MB HM (or B2-HM, or J2 22-HM, etc) J3 St2 WallBounce B3 J2 St2 AC--which does like 43-45% depending on the starter.

Error

DF2+R2
I don't ever go for AC, F223, AC. I probably should though.

As for the background bounce... I think its nice to add 3-5% to his combos... but I don't know how you're getting meterless wallbounce combos. The only reliable background bounce combo I use is:

MB HM (or B2-HM, or J2 22-HM, etc) J3 St2 WallBounce B3 J2 St2 AC--which does like 43-45% depending on the starter.
You can get more damage off of B23, D2, 11 punishes and J2 AA among other random hit confirms. I think it also adds like 10% damage to AC MB combos.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
If you really want to maximize his damage use background bounces. MB AC, F1, Background bounce button, B3, Ji3, AC. Thats about 45% Right there. Have fun

Indecisive

I have been working on maximizing his interactable damage. with things like back ground bounces. And his meterless damage. if i could i would release i video with some of the stuff i found. its not the most new but it is still good to show what has been found. IMO

Error

DF2+R2
I have been working on maximizing his interactable damage. with things like back ground bounces. And his meterless damage. if i could i would release i video with some of the stuff i found. its not the most new but it is still good to show what has been found. IMO
I feel like for the most part, once you're familiar enough with the character his combos are self explanatory.

shinobispectre

F12 allow for a background bounce as well right? Maybe not at the farthest range so I figure MB HM at that point. Also ji2 F22(3) gives it to you as well.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Idk if this known but d2 can cancel either hm or ac on block. Its the sane amount of frames as 2. And if you hit the d2 you can wiff the hm and still hit d1-ac and get a full combo it wouldn't be as much as the regular 2,2 on hit but its a good change from that and it makes it so people have to think quicker about what they are going to do

Indecisive

Idk if this known but d2 can cancel either hm or ac on block. Its the sane amount of frames as 2. And if you hit the d2 you can wiff the hm and still hit d1-ac and get a full combo it wouldn't be as much as the regular 2,2 on hit but its a good change from that and it makes it so people have to think quicker about what they are going to do
D1 on block into MH or AC works also. D2. Also F223 but that only works if they are crouching and you can only do AC.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
D1 on block into MH or AC works also. D2. Also F223 but that only works if they are crouching and you can only do AC.
I know d1 works the only problem is on hit it didn't combo into anything this, way you can at least wiff a hm and combo or if you wiff the ac on hit itll give you a chance to bait a, wake up

EDIT: on a wiff ac after d2 in hit you can dash up and start up his oki again or just bait a wake up. This works whether or not they tech roll

Last edited:

Indecisive

I know d1 works the only problem is on hit it didn't combo into anything this, way you can at least wiff a hm and combo or if you wiff the ac on hit itll give you a chance to bait a, wake up
D1 actually does combo on hit the timing is just tough as fuck. Go into the training room set the CPU to Duck. Do a d1 make sure they are not blocking. Dont cancel the D1 into HM. Its really tough but on hit you still get the MH even if they are supposed to be ducking.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
D1 actually does combo on hit the timing is just tough as fuck. Go into the training room set the CPU to Duck. Do a d1 make sure they are not blocking. Dont cancel the D1 into HM. Its really tough but on hit you still get the MH even if they are supposed to be ducking.
Again i knew this :-P i just think (for me at least) that strict timing is tougher to do during a match which is why i think d2 is a better option. Don't get me wrong i use d1-ac all the tone its just that split second i have to wait for the hm is torture for me during an actual match lol