What's new

"Rock is Dead" -Gene Simmons 2014 (He's 16 years late)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Everything has its season.

Why are we shocked and appalled that an industry has changed dramatically over time due to changing tastes of the fanbase and advancements in technology?
Today, Rock and Roll isn't the most popular genre.
Tomorrow...who knows? It's not as though Rock was THE ONLY RELEVANT AND IMPORTANT GENRE, EVEEEEERRRR.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Which is crazy, a lot of the bands I listen to are some of the most talented artists I've heard out there, and deserve the recognition. Animals as Leaders being a huge example imo.
It is very hard for any progressive metal/rock bands to get as much recognition as they deserve. Reason being most progressive music deviates from the normal four chord pop song, and tends to move away from simplistic 4/4 rhythms. 99% of people who listen to music don't want to hear time signature changes, they just want something that is fairly catchy and that they can maybe dance to.

9_Lives

Noob
I would just like to say that some bands that were around back then are either getting back together or still together. Soundgarden being my big one. That being said though, I will certainly agree that it's been fairly stagnant since around that time. Pretty unhappy with how Stone Temple Pilots has turned out. I miss Scott. I understand why it's all gone down like that though, and Chester is good...but it's just not the same. :'(

I like the newer rock like Chevelle, a little Seether (older the better plz), Staind, Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, Red Hot Chili Peppers (if you'd count them as rock anymore, I don't know.) et cetera et cetera. I kind of still live in the last two decades. Not very familiar with "new new" stuff. Please forgive ignorance.

But I will definitely agree that rock as we knew it has been dead for a very long time and we're beating a dead horse, but I like this thread despite that, lol.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
It is very hard for any progressive metal/rock bands to get as much recognition as they deserve. Reason being most progressive music deviates from the normal four chord pop song, and tends to move away from simplistic 4/4 rhythms. 99% of people who listen to music don't want to hear time signature changes, they just want something that is fairly catchy and that they can maybe dance to.
Which is why I don't take 99% of anyone's opinion on music seriously lol. I wish a nigga would call Meshuggah garbage.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I would just like to say that some bands that were around back then are either getting back together or still together. Soundgarden being my big one. That being said though, I will certainly agree that it's been fairly stagnant since around that time. Pretty unhappy with how Stone Temple Pilots has turned out. I miss Scott. I understand why it's all gone down like that though, and Chester is good...but it's just not the same. :'(

I like the newer rock like Chevelle, a little Seether (older the better plz), Staind, Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, Red Hot Chili Peppers (if you'd count them as rock anymore, I don't know.) et cetera et cetera. I kind of still live in the last two decades. Not very familiar with "new new" stuff. Please forgive ignorance.

But I will definitely agree that rock as we knew it has been dead for a very long time and we're beating a dead horse, but I like this thread despite that, lol.
I miss what the Red Hot Chili Peppers used to be, as well as Taking Back Sunday...even though I still kinda like the latter's newer stuff.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I mean they still do though. I remember I wanted to go to a BTBAM show a couple years ago. Then I found out they were playing at the goddamn radio city music hall and there was no way i could afford tickets to that. That's pretty good for a band with zero airtime on mainstream radio/tv.

Yeah, I agree that success isn't relative to someone's talent as an artist, but that's always going to be that way. AC/DC has the #4 best selling album of all time and were one of the shittiest classic rock bands that existed, but they were as marketable as possible with basic but very memorable melodies. Mainstream rock nowadays even gets way more attention than compositional geniuses and technical machines you find in prog and death metal-based genres.

A lot of bands have to struggle these days. If you don't have a pretty face, it's almost guaranteed you're going to struggle. But to say that the dream is dead because the so-called rock stars have been replaced with something else is ignorant and ill-informed, imo. I listen to a lot of different types of music, and I don't think there's a band I consider to be good at what they do who said "it's going to be really hard to get rich off this. im out". If you're motivated enough and you're good at what you do you can do it, and there's a ton of examples of it.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I can believe that rock artists struggle to support themselves with the job.
So do sculpters, painters, etc.

Art jobs are notoriously difficult to live off of unless you "make it."

Error

DF2+R2
Which is crazy, a lot of the bands I listen to are some of the most talented artists I've heard out there, and deserve the recognition. Animals as Leaders being a huge example imo.
Honestly, I think instrumental music has a much harder time breaking through, especially to people who don't pay instruments.

P.S. Meshuggah is garbage :p

9_Lives

Noob
I miss what the Red Hot Chili Peppers used to be, as well as Taking Back Sunday...even though I still kinda like the latter's newer stuff.
Yeah, Monarchy of Roses was okay and all, but it just isn't the same since Frusciante left. Nothing's the same anymore. XD Not familiar with Taking Back Sunday, I think I'll take a listen when I get home.

Crathen

Death is my business
Random fact about me: I had the pleasure to chat for 2 hours in the backstage of a concert with Dylan Carlson ( along w all the members of Earth ) and Sir Richard Bishop in 2008 , hold dat.

And i was a huge Nirvana fan at the time so that was pretty huge to me at the time.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I can believe that rock artists struggle to support themselves with the job.
So do sculpters, painters, etc.

Art jobs are notoriously difficult to live off of unless you "make it."
This is true, very true. Without connections an artist(be it musician, regular artist, actors whatever) will always struggle for major work. Talent without connections is like a boat on dry land.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
i'll bite. Why don't you like Cobain?
I mean there no particular reason, just he didn't appeal to me or his music

I mean I know it's good and he's legend but when it comes down to it on any day I'm not listening to nirvana.

There's literally no specific reason why, just not my thing

Heart shaped box is great though

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
There are however some travesty's that have come because of technology. The death of full albums. Everything is a single now. You look at bands like Tool who treat their entire album like a single piece of art (google Lateralus Holy Gift) and it's not as relevant/possible since primary music consumption is singles.
I don't think this is a bad thing. Great albums will continue to exist but now you aren't forced to buy a shite album for the 2 or 3 legit tracks on it, which I like considering just how many albums are released with the majority of the tracks being cruddy filler

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Honestly back in the day was it really any better for the average rock musician outside the big names?

If you didn't have a way of getting noticed in your local scene/region there was no way to promote or share your music.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Wait, he's just now figuring this out...?

And other genres are dying out, too. R&B just doesn't even exist anymore LOL.
R&B music still exists but it's not mainstream anymore and radio stations, TV are not playing the music.

Ariana Grande is probably the closest to R&B mainstream like Mariah Carey prior but now the music industry shifts towards EDM #BreakFree

The days of R&B Soul singers, groups and bands diminished. We haven't had a Luther Vandross, Peabo Bryson, Patti LaBelle, R.Kelly, Mary J. Blige, Jodeci, Dru Hill, Janet, Next, Brandy, Monica, Keith Sweat, Diana Ross, TLC, SWV, En Vogue, Alicia Keys, Ginuwine, Aaliyah mainstream artist types in a very long time. The 90s was a great soul era of music same with early millennium. I can't really say good things about the later 00's.

Now a moment to reflect on the music that passed us by :(

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Yeah, Monarchy of Roses was okay and all, but it just isn't the same since Frusciante left. Nothing's the same anymore. XD Not familiar with Taking Back Sunday, I think I'll take a listen when I get home.
their first two albums are solid pop punk, anything after is when they started to get more popular and a bit more "poppy."