What's new

"Rock is Dead" -Gene Simmons 2014 (He's 16 years late)

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Also Rollins was good only when he was playing music in Minor Threat and Fugazi , his opinion on things doesn't actually intrigue me. Jello Biafra is way better "PUNK ICON" (lol) than him anyway.
Also relevant
I actually don't care for black flag or anything haha, but I'm a huge fan of his spoken word

Also you listen to the growlers???

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Joke man. It was a joke.

There's only three rappers I mainly listen to. Those two and eminem. But you can't deny that those three are/were the best in the industry. There's a handful of songs that are hip hop that I listen to that aren't from those three.

Let me say this then. It's been dead since lil Wayne got famous for "rapping"
Nas > [insert rapper here]

Illmatic > [insert any album here]

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
A few Good bands/singers still making good music now.

David Bowie.
Nikki Sixxx.
Enrique Bunbury.
Marilyn Manson.
Pink Floyd about to release a new record.
Cradle of Filth.
Rhcps.
U2.
Zoe.
La Ley.
Slip knot.

I'm sure there is more just cant remember right now. I never liked NINs or KIZZ!

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Rock is so not dead. Most people are just too lazy to look. You aren't gonna find music with any sort of character or integrity on the radio.

Also, a lot of bands are criticized for ripping off the rock legends, but what most biased, old school fans fail (or refuse) to aknowledge is, the old guys (The Rolling Stones, KISS, ACDC, etc.) got first dibs at the low hanging fruit as far as riffs are concerned. With the coming of guitar distortion, rock progressed in the most typical way you'd think it would.

Everyday it gets harder and harder to stand out because so many ideas and styles have been done to death. Still, there are a lot of great artists, in every genre from hip hop to metal, that have eclectic and unique sounds. You just have to be willing to look, which unfortunately means sifting through a landfill of shitty bands in an over saturated industry.

I'm a musician and I approve this message.

P.S. Fuck Gene Simmons in his irrelevant, aging cunt.

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
This thread is terrible, I'm sorry Pig. There's a few people making really good points but their posts get overlooked. If you think a genre is dead you need to ask yourself if you're looking for good music in the right places.

I'd be up for a podcast about music and/or films. @AK Pig Of The Hut if you're gonna do this I could make graphics etc. for you. Hit me up.

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
Gene Simmons made average music in an average band, his opinion shouldnt hold to much weight. But he's right for the most part here.

Flagg

Noob
Simon Cowell, Disney and all their creations are not dead and i think that should answer a few questions.

VOR

Noob
I'm going to name a few bands that have had concerts near me in the last couple months- Journey, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Yes, Kansas, Steely Dan, Alice Cooper, Poison, Y&T. Plus, tons of underground shows and lots of metal. I feel like Gene may be saying this because Kiss actually may be dead now.

Last edited:

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
So rock is dead because you can't make money off it? That's a load of crap. There are tons of ways to make money in the music industry including merch sales and touring. Crowdfunding sites such as Indiegogo, Kickstarter, Pledgemusic, and Rockethub have allowed many bands to stay independent while funding studio time for recording their next project. Digital music sales mean that bands no longer have to fear being blackballed by one of the major distribution houses. Youtube and Soundcloud have allowed new bands to get free exposure, regardless of their location.

What you have here is an old, out of touch rocker that just looks at his royalty checks dwindling while making no effort to change with the times. He says new bands have no hope and should just give up. I say new bands have more opportunities than ever and if you are willing to ADAPT to the changing industry, you will see dividends. The old music industry was like the BCS, corrupt and controlled by a few high-profile insiders. The new system is like a massive Evo bracket, where the best will rise to the top through talent and dedication.

SpiceWeasel

Nothing personal mate!
Mainstream Rock is dead? GOOD!

Now they must do what they should....Tour and play live for their money? what a shame...

torrent/napster killed rock is the biggest bullshit ever writen! (or an Lars Ulrich Quote) :D

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Oh cool, programming beats and recording vox tracks w auto tune are just as equal to recording live instruments

Jokes aside id love a discussion or even a random Tym music group podcast
youve never seen a good producer then , guys dont use timbaland or some shit as your basis for electronic music and i wont use kiss as the basis for rock :)
good producers off the top of my head , bonobo , coki , boddika, goth trad , jon hopkins , so many more.... software like reason , ableton etc aren't toys lol
/ my 2 cents !

Crathen

Death is my business
I actually don't care for black flag or anything haha, but I'm a huge fan of his spoken word

Also you listen to the growlers???
Yes , being friend with a ( italian ) noisey reviewer since i was 14 yo means i listen to quite a lot music haha :p .

Haven't got the chance to listen to their new album yet.

haketh

Noob
youve never seen a good producer then , guys dont use timbaland or some shit as your basis for electronic music and i wont use kiss as the basis for rock :)
good producers off the top of my head , bonobo , coki , boddika, goth trad , jon hopkins , so many more.... software like reason , ableton etc aren't toys lol
/ my 2 cents !
Man you can't be hating on Timbaland, dude is a legend for a reason, made so many careers with him & Missy Elliot.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
how is rock dead with great songs like this?

maybe mainstream rock, and rock on the radio is, but great music is coming out all the time, its just now-a-days if its not on the radio and selling tickets and records its "dead". i think whats actually dead is everyone's passion for the genre, i know for a fact i can't listen to half the shit on the radio now-a-days i have to find my music through these bands that have great live performances and search online for them. i wish there were more dedicated modern metal, hardcore and death metal stations but they are so few and far between. you know something is on the brink of dying when hipsters are the ones that listen to them the most haha
bos isn't rock though lol and not mainstream. Also bos makes almost to no money sadly even though they are a great band :(

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Man you can't be hating on Timbaland, dude is a legend for a reason, made so many careers with him & Missy Elliot.
im not hating hes amazingly talented but he does go for a certain audience , id love to hear an instrumental album by him alone

I don't know. For those who have nostalgia for the old school rock White Stripes and Bands like Arctic Monkeys've been great in 2000's. But to my personal taste artist: Protest the Hero - album: Fortress! Listen to that and tell me that rock is dead.

To the mainstream it is very dead. Most amazing bands are underground, or from overseas. There are very few good american bands anymore. Heres a few good tracks from 3 amazing Swedish bands :
Graveyard (Swedish)
Ghost (Swedish) (Sounds like Blue Oyster Cult and Black Sabbath had a baby)
Opeth (Swedish)
Opeth (Swedish)

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
When we say "rock is dead" we are talking about Mainstream rock. Not underground rock music. Of course they are going to be great bands NOT on the radio. But up until about 1998 there was great rock music ON the radio. For the most part that has changed and it has gone away out of the public eye. It's sad to because they only good rock music you hear on the radio now is considered "classic" even if it's from like 20 years ago.