What's new

"Rock is Dead" -Gene Simmons 2014 (He's 16 years late)

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I dunno, I think that has more to do with people not knowing how to work the internet, look at artist like Cassie Veggies, Dom Kennedy, and other rappers who have come up through the internet. I don't understand why more Rock bands haven't pursued internet as hard as rap artist have.

I really gotta talk music with you if I'm ever at another tournament you're at. I fucks with this stuff.
I don't know the rap scene at all, but it could be that rock music depends more on live performances? A good rock or metal concert is quite the experience. I don't see how rap could be similar, but maybe I'm wrong.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I haven't listened to much white zombie, but I know of this song and I like it a lot.

My older bro was really into rock when he was growin up too. He learned the bass first and then guitar. I remember he died his hair green or some shit when he was going through this Marilyn Manson phase

Anyone ever listen to The Roots? They are kind of a hip-hop/rap grp who utilize real instruments.

IceNinja

Assassin
Napster/torrent/wares/File sharing/limewire has nothing to do with rock being dead. All that did was change the way artist make money, from album sales to live shows being the main way to make their money without having to go threw labels. They can just put their stuff online for free and generate a fan base and buzz, then make money doing live shows. If rock is "dead" its because not many people are into it anymore, which causes less people to make rock music or care about it. Rap did fine in the file sharing era but its now dieing, not because of file sharing but because not as many people want to listen to it. Its because the kids want to listen to electronic/computer generated music these days like u know wubwub.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Not a fan of Hetfield? I can respect that.

STP was godlike when Scott Weiland was on heroin. Sad but true.

(Unintentional Metallica reference)
You just hit on a massive nail on the head

Huge nail in terms of rock

Quick someone name me a rock n roll legend or band that wasn't troubled by:

Drugs
Alcohol
Or any other related vice

Podcast. Do it.
I'm seriously down , I might msg some people in here after I get back in town where we can do this

Maybe Sunday

haketh

Noob
I don't know the rap scene at all, but it could be that rock music depends more on live performances? A good rock or metal concert is quite the experience. I don't see how rap could be similar, but maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah that is true Rock does lend itself to live a fuck ton for appeal.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You just hit on a massive nail on the head

Huge nail in terms of rock

Quick someone name me a rock n roll legend or band that wasn't troubled by:

Drugs
Alcohol
Or any other related vice

I'm seriously down , I might msg some people in here after I get back in town where we can do this

Maybe Sunday
Does dream theater count as a rock band? They are pretty clean I think haha. And that podcast would be amazing, especially if you picked the right people.

Edit: never mind portnoy was an alcoholic. They wrote a whole suite of songs about it. I suck lol

Pig Of The Hut

Napster/torrent/wares/File sharing/limewire has nothing to do with rock being dead. All that did was change the way artist make money, from album sales to live shows being the main way to make their money without having to go threw labels. They can just put their stuff online for free and generate a fan base and buzz, then make money doing live shows. If rock is "dead" its because not many people are into it anymore, which causes less people to make rock music or care about it. Rap did fine in the file sharing era but its now dieing, not because of file sharing but because not as many people want to listen to it. Its because the kids want to listen to electronic/computer generated music these days like u know wubwub.
Disagree w this completely

First you're removing a main source of income

Income from the sales generated actual evidence to sponsors to sponsor tours and shows and was the most accurate form of judging a bands popularity and what to book when where and why

Also a controversial thought about your rap reference.

Who had access more to warez and Napster? Country folk in mid to late 90s in the country where there was no Internet vs using AOL to connect?

Or city kids w Internet whether be rich and bratty, preppy, angry, etc ?

Which group described do you truly feel as a whole in the NINETIES had the access to warez, limewire, Napster ..........?

Seriously think

Tang94

Confirmed Seeker
I agree with @AK Pig Of The Hut and Gene Simmons. I was in a rock/metal band for over 15 years and never had any success; but with the state that the music industry's in (and was during that 15 years), I'm glad we never made it. I have no doubt that we were good enough to hang with the big boys, but things have gotten terrible out there. Plus, I hold the songs I write and perform to an utmost height, and that's just not - from my understanding - how the biz works nowadays. You've got all these pre-made bands, for which executives and "pro songwriters" write songs for, and any semblance of art is flushed completely down the toilet. That's the main reason that I think rock is dead - all faith in the artist's ability to create has been destroyed, which is essentially the basis for rock music - one's ability to express themselves to their hearts content. This has forced a lot of bands to go the indie route, but most bands lack promotion skills, and "file sharing" doesn't help them do well either.

And yes, Pig, file sharing sites and all that garbage definitely put a huge damper on the industry as a whole, as well as rock. I mean, seriously - with all the file sharing sites out there, giving records away for free, why should anyone actually buy one? People should have at least some sort of moral center, but apparently, that's not the case with most folks.

Pig Of The Hut

I agree with @AK Pig Of The Hut and Gene Simmons. I was in a rock/metal band for over 15 years and never had any success; but with the state that the music industry's in (and was during that 15 years), I'm glad we never made it. I have no doubt that we were good enough to hang with the big boys, but things have gotten terrible out there. Plus, I hold the songs I write and perform to an utmost height, and that's just not - from my understanding - how the biz works nowadays. You've got all these pre-made bands, for which executives and "pro songwriters" write songs for, and any semblance of art is flushed completely down the toilet. That's the main reason that I think rock is dead - all faith in the artist's ability to create has been destroyed, which is essentially the basis for rock music - one's ability to express themselves to their hearts content. This has forced a lot of bands to go the indie route, but most bands lack promotion skills, and "file sharing" doesn't help them do well either.

And yes, Pig, file sharing sites and all that garbage definitely put a huge damper on the industry as a whole, as well as rock. I mean, seriously - with all the file sharing sites out there, giving records away for free, why should anyone actually buy one? People should have at least some sort of moral center, but apparently, that's not the case with most folks.
^^^^^^^^^

Love this post

Pig Of The Hut

If I told u I could get u every single movie for free the day it came out or before it comes out at the theatre in blue ray quality sent to u would you ever go to the movies again?

It's coming.... 5 years ago we were in what the music industry was in 1990s

Movie industry knows and they're panicking

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I haven't listened to much white zombie, but I know of this song and I like it a lot.

My older bro was really into rock when he was growin up too. He learned the bass first and then guitar. I remember he died his hair green or some shit when he was going through this Marilyn Manson phase

Anyone ever listen to The Roots? They are kind of a hip-hop/rap grp who utilize real instruments.
Random fighting game trivia question: What 90's fighting game featured White Zombie as it's soundtrack (yet still managed to be a steaming pile of dogshit)?

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
/Facepalm

People act like those two were the only talented rappers in the history of hip-hop. They weren't. There's a SHIT ton of hip-hop artists out there that are just as good or even better. IMO
Joke man. It was a joke.

There's only three rappers I mainly listen to. Those two and eminem. But you can't deny that those three are/were the best in the industry. There's a handful of songs that are hip hop that I listen to that aren't from those three.

Let me say this then. It's been dead since lil Wayne got famous for "rapping"