What's new

"Rock is Dead" -Gene Simmons 2014 (He's 16 years late)

Crazy coming from Gene Simmons. Especially since he had that awful pathetic reality TV show... Family Jewels.

haketh

Noob
And so is Hip Hop
Hell no lol

Anyone who says any form of music is dead either has a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE nostalgia rush going on or isn't taking the time to discover new music. Damn shame to because it's so easy nowadays to find music you'll love. And Gene Simmons would be the last guy I'd ever listen to about musical quality, integrity, or life. And what does he mean rock is dead? What kind of rock is he talking about? Grunge? Glam? Traditional? What?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hell no lol

Anyone who says any form of music is dead either has a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE nostalgia rush going on or isn't taking the time to discover new music. Damn shame to because it's so easy nowadays to find music you'll love. And Gene Simmons would be the last guy I'd ever listen to about musical quality, integrity, or life. And what does he mean rock is dead? What kind of rock is he talking about? Grunge? Glam? Traditional? What?
Economically you're dead wrong

Pig Of The Hut

I don't really consider anything "dead" just because it's pushed out of the mainstream. Youtube, music blogs, sites like Bandcamp, etc is where a lot of people find and get their music from now. For people with the mindset that whatever isn't playing on the radio is irrelevant I guess it is. But just look at things like extreme metal genres that have been thriving for 3 decades. You'll never hear it on the radio or see them perform at the Grammys, but it doesn't mean people don't listen to it or that people can't make a career/lifestyle out of it. The age of the classic rock "stardom" is probably dead, but why does that matter? If you're in it just for that you're in it for the wrong reasons.
Financially it is for all artist

Pig Of The Hut

Btw @AK Pig Of The Hut you're into Nine Inch Nails right? Help me out, what stuff by them should I listen to?
Pretty hate machine
Downward spiral
Broken
Fragile disc 1 and 2
With teeth (half of it)
First two-3 tracks on(hesitation marks)

Other individual tracks:
Perfect drug
Deep
Discipline

Personal Fav NIN songs:
Heresy
We're in this together now
Closer
Happiness in slavery
Wish
Somewhat damaged (huge fav)
Terrible lie (live versions)
Perfect drug (best recorded drum solo just because what they did to record it)

They're all really good and everyone has their own favorites

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Who was your favorite rock band when you were a teenager, Pig?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
This is such tired bullshit, I'm so sick of hearing this.

This kind of bitching and talking has been around for centuries. Every generation has the same spiel for the next or the current.

"___ is dead."
"___ was the best generation"
"___ these days just isn't the same"
"___ will never be as good as ____"
And so on.

This kind if closed-minded ignorant bias been plaguing mankind forever, and we still haven't learned how to deal with. As if people have collectively lubed up their heads with nostalgia and prejudice before shoving them into their respective anuses.

Saying things are bad or dead because the current doesn't line up with your personal standards of quality is so idiotic. Terrible.

That said, people who usually talk about how bad music is now don't actually know where to find "good" music anyway. There's so much good stuff on the internet that people don't know about, judging the state of things on what's trendy and what's playing on the radio now.

Gene Simmons is not unlike the older people of the 40's spouting about how rock'n'roll was the death of good music(and also from the devil) because they didn't like this new current take on what they were used to.

I listen to and appreciate a wide variety of music from a wide variety of artists from different decades and cultures, so hearing stuff like this really annoys me.

Last edited:

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Don't be a bunch of Debbie Downers. Rock and Roll will never die. Why hasn't classical, or polka died yet? It's all still out there, it's just that the vast majority doesnt care for it. In my experience the vast majority is a mob of drooling fucktards. So fuck them. Keep supporting good rock music by buying songs and going to shows and it will live on. I feel bad for the artists though who make next to nothing. Sorry guys.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Financially it is for all artist
Yeah, it is if you're planning on becoming an international rock star selling out arenas. That era is mostly dead. But you can still make a living doing it if it's what you love to do. People shouldn't be dissuaded from getting into it just because there's a lesser chance it will make you a millionaire.

Pig Of The Hut

Yeah, it is if you're planning on becoming an international rock star selling out arenas. That era is mostly dead. But you can still make a living doing it if it's what you love to do. People shouldn't be dissuaded from getting into it just because there's a lesser chance it will make you a millionaire.
Actually no

There's a far lesser chance u will see a dime now a days the way thjngs work now

Pig Of The Hut

This is such tired bullshit, I'm so sick of hearing this.

This kind of bitching and talking has been around for centuries. Every generation has the same spiel for the next or the current.

"___ is dead."
"___ was the best generation"
"___ these days just isn't the same"
"___ will never be as good as ____"

This kind if closed-minded ignorant bias been plaguing mankind forever, and we still haven't learned how to deal with. As if people have collectively lubed up their heads with nostalgia and prejudice before shoving them into their respective anuses.

Saying things are bad or dead because the current doesn't line up with your personal standards of quality is so idiotic. Terrible.

That said, people who usually talk about how bad music is now don't actually know where to find "good" music anyway. There's so much good stuff on the internet that people don't know about, judging the state of things on what's trendy and what's playing on the radio now.
This is funny

Now go tell this to any rock guitar player professionally who quit rock to play pop/ country/rap to continue income

Including guys like Dave Navarro

haketh

Noob
Actually no

There's a far lesser chance u will see a dime now a days the way thjngs work now
I dunno, I think that has more to do with people not knowing how to work the internet, look at artist like Cassie Veggies, Dom Kennedy, and other rappers who have come up through the internet. I don't understand why more Rock bands haven't pursued internet as hard as rap artist have.

@Wemfs at age 14 I knew what I wanted to do for the next 18 years of my life after I heard this opening guitar riff and solo

I wanted nothing more than to play this riff at a deafening volume lol

Also I'd be hella mistaken if I didn't list White zombie growing up
I really gotta talk music with you if I'm ever at another tournament you're at. I fucks with this stuff.

Pig Of The Hut

I dunno, I think that has more to do with people not knowing how to work the internet, look at artist like Cassie Veggies, Dom Kennedy, and other rappers who have come up through the internet. I don't understand why more Rock bands haven't pursued internet as hard as rap artist have.

I really gotta talk music with you if I'm ever at another tournament you're at. I fucks with this stuff.
Oh cool, programming beats and recording vox tracks w auto tune are just as equal to recording live instruments

Jokes aside id love a discussion or even a random Tym music group podcast