What's new

RG RM SonicFox wins Injustice: Gods Among Us at The Fall Classic 2014!

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The real reason is that it was on KombatNetwork, and KN doesn't do as much as some other streamers to promote their brand outside of the confines of the core TYM audience. If grand finals is there, you can usually expect about 800-1500 viewers.

Streamers for our games in general need to do a much better job of getting the word out, rather than just putting the stream up.

With that said, even with extra promotion you can't expect the same viewer count you'd get from the typical finals on Spooky's stream, Art's stream, Bifu's stream, LevelupLive, etc.. Especially since they all stream a bunch of other popular types of games and have tons of followers as a result.

KN still has some work to do, though :D
Last year's viewership vs attendance ratio for TFC was reflected by viewership and attendance this year. We had about 125 players last year, and 60 something this year, viewership was about 1300 last year, and topped at 700ish from what I saw this year. Also, time frame for top 8 was 11AM so we might have hit 1000 if it was later on. We didn't do top 8 last year and had we, it would have likely hit 2000, so again the disparity is present. When we were on prime time for MK9 every major, numbers were higher, and whenever it's on team spooky, we get the rub from people waiting for other games, that having been said, his numbers always continue to increase while we're on. KN is promoted by the events as streaming NRS games, the players know there's a tournament going on, and who is streaming what. It's not rocket science. If TYM doesn't promote KN appropriately like it does everything else, we might not even get the full attention of the site. I don't push my own product down TYM's throat, I could front page stuff all day every day, but I don't. Regardless, thousands of people are alerted when we go online. When we streamed Injustice at ECT last year, we hit 2300 viewers. The tournament had 220 players. The numbers tell the story and Injustice is losing popularity. The niche audience of NRS games is what limits numbers for attendance and viewership. Our numbers are typically comparable to other streams being run at the same time taking their respective popularity into account. There are plenty of times we have higher viewership than other streams at the same tournaments. There's only so much that can be done to "get the word out." There is a point where you reach a plateau due to the inherent interest of the content. When MKX comes around, we'll probably break 2500 viewers but there's not really any way to get more people to come watch or play than are interested unless we give stuff away. In which case, please paypal all donations to [email protected]

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Last year's viewership vs attendance ratio for TFC was reflected by viewership and attendance this year. We had about 125 players last year, and 60 something this year, viewership was about 1300 last year, and topped at 700ish from what I saw this year. Also, time frame for top 8 was 11AM so we might have hit 1000 if it was later on. We didn't do top 8 last year and had we, it would have likely hit 2000, so again the disparity is present. When we were on prime time for MK9 every major, numbers were higher, and whenever it's on team spooky, we get the rub from people waiting for other games, that having been said, his numbers always continue to increase while we're on. KN is promoted by the events as streaming NRS games, the players know there's a tournament going on, and who is streaming what. It's not rocket science. If TYM doesn't promote KN appropriately like it does everything else, we might not even get the full attention of the site. I don't push my own product down TYM's throat, I could front page stuff all day every day, but I don't. Regardless, thousands of people are alerted when we go online. When we streamed Injustice at ECT last year, we hit 2300 viewers. The tournament had 220 players. The numbers tell the story and Injustice is losing popularity. The niche audience of NRS games is what limits numbers for attendance and viewership. Our numbers are typically comparable to other streams being run at the same time taking their respective popularity into account. There are plenty of times we have higher viewership than other streams at the same tournaments. There's only so much that can be done to "get the word out." There is a point where you reach a plateau due to the inherent interest of the content. When MKX comes around, we'll probably break 2500 viewers but there's not really any way to get more people to come watch or play than are interested unless we give stuff away. In which case, please paypal all donations to [email protected]
Hey Shock, I hear you -- we're been doing our best to help promote. At the very least, I usually include it in in the thread titles, and it's tweeted out a few times both on the TYM twitter and my own. But if I'm mistaken, TFC wasn't tweeted out on the KN twitter this year when it went live? I know you tweeted it on your on account that day, but the KN twitter has about 1000 more followers.

As a start, you guys could be a Kombat 'network' -- which means that everyone in the network (KN, Mike, Ray, Arma, etc) could take a couple seconds and tweet or retweet when a major goes live.

Each time I watch a stream you guys do, I wish more people knew about it. I think there's still a lot of room to increase the cap. This is not just related to KN, but all of the streams: KN, GGA, Streamofthehut, the WC streams, Jaxel etc. There are a lot more things we can do toward this end than just giveaways -- if you want some suggestions, I can PM you and talk about it.

Even TYM has room to grow in this regard, and there are some things I plan to implement for MKX -> beyond.

Last edited:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I tweeted TFC from the TYM facebook all weekend. TYM has all the followers KN has, plus more. Remember, tweeting and FBing is only advertising to your existing demographic, the posts get very few retweets because streams are taken for granted by the community. Sometimes there are people waiting in the chat for the stream, but when people get that alert that the stream is on is when people start watching. But the fact of the matter is, everyone in the NRS community knows the KN stream is the one to watch for NRS for the weekend as advertised, it is the popularity of the games that is in question. The goal is to get more of the casual fans more interested in competitive MK/NRS games, it always has been, it's what I've done for 14 years. So, since I've been around for a long, long time, I've seen the patterns and understand the limitations of the community very well. MK games have the most casual players of just about any fighting game, but the smallest competitive base. If 1 in 100 SF buyers take the game seriously at attend tournaments or watch streams, then 1 in 1000 or less do the same for MK games. As Jaxel has said many times, it doesn't matter who is streaming what, if an event is important enough, people will watch if they want to watch. Most streams don't get particularly huge numbers on off nights/random events. Point being, if you put KN, or Bifuteki in place of Spooky for an advertised major, we'd get the rub from the build up over the last 5 years events have been streamed in this manner. We might not get all the viewers because we don't have all the bells and whistles Vic does, but definitely over 75% because there are people who just want to watch. That's how you get the word out there an advertise to a base that doesn't know who you are. Vic has the streaming on lock through his hard work over the years and set the standard for the rest of us. MKX is the next step, it will be the benchmark to determine if more of the FGC is willing to give NRS games a chance. Stream numbers will increase dramatically, and then fall over time, just as interest has been monitored for various games, since Deadly Alliance.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I tweeted TFC from the TYM facebook all weekend. TYM has all the followers KN has, plus more. Remember, tweeting and FBing is only advertising to your existing demographic, the posts get very few retweets because streams are taken for granted by the community. Sometimes there are people waiting in the chat for the stream, but when people get that alert that the stream is on is when people start watching. But the fact of the matter is, everyone in the NRS community knows the KN stream is the one to watch for NRS for the weekend as advertised, it is the popularity of the games that is in question. The goal is to get more of the casual fans more interested in competitive MK/NRS games, it always has been, it's what I've done for 14 years. So, since I've been around for a long, long time, I've seen the patterns and understand the limitations of the community very well. MK games have the most casual players of just about any fighting game, but the smallest competitive base. If 1 in 100 SF buyers take the game seriously at attend tournaments or watch streams, then 1 in 1000 or less do the same for MK games. As Jaxel has said many times, it doesn't matter who is streaming what, if an event is important enough, people will watch if they want to watch. Most streams don't get particularly huge numbers on off nights/random events. Point being, if you put KN, or Bifuteki in place of Spooky for an advertised major, we'd get the rub from the build up over the last 5 years events have been streamed in this manner. We might not get all the viewers because we don't have all the bells and whistles Vic does, but definitely over 75% because there are people who just want to watch. That's how you get the word out there an advertise to a base that doesn't know who you are. Vic has the streaming on lock through his hard work over the years and set the standard for the rest of us. MKX is the next step, it will be the benchmark to determine if more of the FGC is willing to give NRS games a chance. Stream numbers will increase dramatically, and then fall over time, just as interest has been monitored for various games, since Deadly Alliance.
Speaking of bells and whistles, there's some stuff I want to talk to you about soon.