What's new

[Request] Customizable Dummy Settings for AI Recording / Normal Recording

Should AI Recording / Normal Recording be patched to allow the dummy's action be customizable?

• Yes

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Netherrealm Studios brough us an incredible Training Mode this time around with Injustice: Gods Among Us. It provides so many features to work with, one wish it had been available in Mortal Kombat (2011) or that it could be --somehow-- be patched into the game.

You can customize every action of the AI dummy: movement, blocking, reversals, wake up, clash, trait, etc. You can also customize general setting like: character position and location, stage location, meter, information visibility. One particular feature I like is the option to select what character you're controlling and what character is the AI dummy. Each AI dummy (P1 or P2) also has their own AI Configuration settings.

But without a doubt the feature everyone likes the best is AI Recording. The previously missing option to record the dummy doing a particular action or set of actions is paramount to allow players to learn the game's nuances and intricacies. However, this very feature is lacking an equally important sub-feature: the capability to customize the (temporary) dummy's actions while recording the AI's action.

As we all know when we use the AI Recording feature the the player and dummy characters are reversed momentarily to allow the recording of a set of specific actions for the dummy to execute. Unfortunately the temporary dummy is always standing and not blocking. This severly limits the scenarios the players are allowed to record and practice with.

Trying to record specific setups like the following is either not possible or very hard to do:

-Anti-air setups.
-Block strings.
-Frame traps.
-Oki setups and traps.

That's just to name a few. The main reasons those are not feasible are: 1) Attacks knockdown on hit, 2) The timming is very different after blocked and non-blocked attacks, 3) Juggles vary greatly whether the opponent is on the ground or airborne, 4) Oki is different whether the opponent just stands up, tech-rolls or does a wake-up attack.

I already pointed out the feature to select what character is controlled by the player and what character is the dummy. I also mentioned how it is possible to customize each dummy with their own settings. This means it is not beyond Practice Mode's capabilties to customize the temporary dummy's action while using either Recording feature.

What I'm asking for --and I believe everyone else will do as well-- is:

To have the temporary Dummy take on its corresponding (P1 or P2 side) AI Configuration settings (movement, blocking, reversals, wake-up, and so on) while using the AI Recording / Normal Recording feature.

colt hecterrific

Sasuga

Noob
It would really help if the select button would just reset the recording instead of ending it. Dummy recording was waaay faster in SF4 and I've mostly been able to record training dummy's to do whatever setup with a bit of imagination. It's very time consuming in Injustice the way it is now.

I don't think NRS is going to change it but everything you mentioned is possible with a little bit of trial-and-error, patience and imagination. Just input commands as if they were blocked to record strings etc. And for anti-air setups: if I understand you correctly, you want the dummy to anti air you? If that's what you mean, make the dummy use a reference attack that you use as a que to time your jump ins.

Hope this helps.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Oh I want it, everyone does.
Just don't think NRS would do it.
I really hope they can manage something.
It would really help if the select button would just reset the recording instead of ending it. Dummy recording was waaay faster in SF4 and I've mostly been able to record training dummy's to do whatever setup with a bit of imagination. It's very time consuming in Injustice the way it is now.

I don't think NRS is going to change it but everything you mentioned is possible with a little bit of trial-and-error, patience and imagination. Just input commands as if they were blocked to record strings etc. And for anti-air setups: if I understand you correctly, you want the dummy to anti air you? If that's what you mean, make the dummy use a reference attack that you use as a que to time your jump ins.

Hope this helps.
I know what you mean but I'm sure it will get more troublesome down the line. For instance, when I wanted to practice against Cyborgs iAFB block infinite I would do it once and let the AI loop it perfectly; the problem is the AI can't loop it if I block it because the timming chances.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yes, I'd like AI options to be available during record for sure because the timing totally changes if something is hit or blocked for many setups/frame traps/etc.

But that said, after dealing with MK9 training mode for 2 years this training mode is GODLIKE and I mean it because I never use that word. In MK9 I literally testing things using two controllers (would use a PS3 pad with my thumbs and use my fingers on the joystick) and it was horrible, lol. So, thats why I don't feel upset about this slight oversight.

You can do the timing with no visual cues after a few tries (just do the timing as you think it is, not what you see). Like for example, testing supermans f23 breath into another f23 on block, you kind of just get the timing down by trial and error for the recording. It's a pain but it lets you still test most things.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It's a HUGE pain in the ass to record a setup as:

1) Your recorded dummy is always standing and not blocking, nor can any settings (wakeups, reversals, jump, etc) be applied to them. (I did mention this in my notes during the beta)
2) When you end the recording it goes immediately into playback. I find myself trying the setup again and again because I didn't do it just right and getting it back to Record is a process.

Pressing Select should always stop the recording (at which point you can manually put it in playback mode) and pressing it again should restart the recording if you want to redo it.

I wish I had more than 5 days to mess with this in beta! There is never enough time to find even a fraction of what you need to find.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
You can do the timing with no visual cues after a few tries (just do the timing as you think it is, not what you see). Like for example, testing supermans f23 breath into another f23 on block, you kind of just get the timing down by trial and error for the recording. It's a pain but it lets you still test most things.
That's what I've been doing so far. In fact, didn't mind it much at first until I tried to practice ways to defend against Cyborg's iAFBs.

I suck at doing his iAFBs next to the ground, so my work around was to do it once correctly and finish the recording so that on playback the iAFBs would loop seamlessly. To my chagrin I found out the recording couldn't loop correctly if I blocked them because for some weird reason characters take longer to recover on block than on they do on whiff when it comes to projectiles.

Sasuga

Noob
Pressing Select should always stop the recording (at which point you can manually put it in playback mode) and pressing it again should restart the recording if you want to redo it.
This only would make it sooooo much better.