What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile in MK X

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
What people fail to realize is that NRS is trying to stay away from making characters that aren't actually ninjas stay ninjas.....That would include Reptile, Ermac, and Rain.
Reptile is the last of his race, he's not a ninja. Ermac is a collection of souls, not a ninja. Rain is a demi-God, not a ninja......
The only actual ninjas are Scorpion, Kua Liang, and Bi Han.

I know you all love nostalgia...but thats what MK9 dlc costumes were for.
Actually, if you want to get technical, there are no real Ninja in MK. A Ninja is someone who is skilled in Ninjutsu. Which not a single MK character is skilled in Ninjutsu. Cyrax had that fighting style in MKDA, and Scorpion has a "Ninjustu" variation in MKX, but they don't actually use Ninjutsu and those are simply just gameplay mechanics and non-canon. It doesn't matter what Mr Eyebrows calls Scorpion, he isn't a Ninja.

as for how I think Reptile should look... I think kind of like how D'Vorah is. She has a bipedal humanoid look, but aesthetically not human at all.

Lol @ people clinging to cost efficient old school repalette... Let's have a game with 20 different colored ninjas... Fuck tremor...Obviously reptile is the new boss character... It'd be perfect to make @dribirut salty... His favorite char unplayable but right there in front of his eyes

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Actually, if you want to get technical, there are no real Ninja in MK. A Ninja is someone who is skilled in Ninjutsu. Which not a single MK character is skilled in Ninjutsu. Cyrax had that fighting style in MKDA, and Scorpion has a "Ninjustu" variation in MKX, but they don't actually use Ninjutsu and those are simply just gameplay mechanics and non-canon. It doesn't matter what Mr Eyebrows calls Scorpion, he isn't a Ninja.

as for how I think Reptile should look... I think kind of like how D'Vorah is. She has a bipedal humanoid look, but aesthetically not human at all.
ACTUALLY, ninjas aren't specifically capable of ninjutsu. Ninjas of Japan history were simply spies and mercenaries. The ninjustsu part is folklore.

Scorpion is really the only character in the MK story that is considered a ninja. Sub-Zero, Cyrax, Sektor, and Smoke are all Lin Kuei, which does not classify itself as a ninja clan, but merely Chinese assassins. Reptile and Chameleon are Zaterrans. Noob was Lin Kuei before death, and is a wraith as Noob. Rain is really just a power-hungry Edenian soldier. Ermac is a mere collection of souls. Tremor is a Black Dragon clan member.

The only characters that, IMO, should still look like ninjas are the Lin Kuei members and Scorpion.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
ACTUALLY, ninjas aren't specifically capable of ninjutsu. Ninjas of Japan history were simply spies and mercenaries. The ninjustsu part is folklore.

Scorpion is really the only character in the MK story that is considered a ninja. Sub-Zero, Cyrax, Sektor, and Smoke are all Lin Kuei, which does not classify itself as a ninja clan, but merely Chinese assassins. Reptile and Chameleon are Zaterrans. Noob was Lin Kuei before death, and is a wraith as Noob. Rain is really just a power-hungry Edenian soldier. Ermac is a mere collection of souls. Tremor is a Black Dragon clan member.

The only characters that, IMO, should still look like ninjas are the Lin Kuei members and Scorpion.
actually....

actually.... 2

actually.... 3

I rest my case. this is kind of getting off-topic though. haha

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
actually....

actually.... 2

actually.... 3

Good case lmao. I honestly never heard of the stuff they actually did called ninjutsu. I assumed they were talking about the supernatural shit like the SUPER FLAMING BALL SPIT JUTSU shit they did in Naruto.

I wouldn't mind a mix between human and monster. After all that's what Reptile is, a monster disguising itself as human.

Like the first picture by the opener was good. Looks human but you still get hints of a monster (mainly the unnatural eye color) and maybe a few scales here and there.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Yeah not bad @ZigZag . I could change them if you'd like. Yellow eyes maybe? Give me a reference picture if you want.
Don't worry i'm not looking for it to be improved but it would be cool to see something like that, the yellow eyes with his thin reptile like pupil.

you know like their pupils look like this;

trufenix

bye felicia
In the context of the MK universe, the Shirai Ryu (ergo, Scorpion) are considered actual ninja. The Shirai Ryu took the otherwise unidentified chinese assassination arts from the Lin Kuei and started what the modern world calls ninjitsu. Thus, none of the lin kuei or the rest of the rainbow pajama club are (or ever were) actual ninjas, its just an idiom from the fans, similar to all fireball / dp chars in street fighter being "shotos". MK3 refers to the Lin Kuei as ninja a bunch but that was before Mythologies when it was explicitly stated (read: retconed) that the Lin Kuei aren't, and hate being called ninja. Deadly Alliance says Cyrax learned Ninjitsu, but it doesn't say where / when he learned it and it also says he learned a ton of other arts, he just happened to like Ninjitsu (whatever the fuck that means).

Edit: Also, Reiko (who was originally Noob) has very ninjitsu-esque moves, some of which Noob retained in Deception, but its never said where or why.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments

Man I can't wait for him to be announced so we can talk about tech all day again.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
As far as we know Reptile may have died or fell unconscious towards the end of MK9 after the bout with Stryker. That is the last time he appears, so who knows if he will make it into MKX. I hope that he does, as he is of course my favorite.

I do want to add that his default look from MK9 irritates me to no end.

Just a few notes of what you’re working with in MK9...
- Some stupid belt thing that wraps around his neck to hold up a dumb looking breastplate that is too small
- A ninja mask that comes so far down from his forehead that it looks like a widows peak from hell
- And all in all he basically looks like a deformed bird-humanoid that forgot to grow wings

The fact that some of you guys thought that looked “the best” is beyond me. Most everyone I’ve known and seen has played/preferred the MK1 alternate if it was available. Without a question it was the better fit.

Not to keep the hate train going, but he looked like a mummy with a broken jaw in Shaolin Monks, and Armageddon’s default was pretty much a port from that.

Can we all just get on the same page and have something like below?
Cool pic, reptilian yet still looks humanoid. Nice concept. You drew that?

First of all, this drawing is hard to look at because it's proportionally so wrong. I cant even take it seriously because it looks like his neck is like 1 inch tall.

I honestly love the designs where Reptile is human more than reptile, and what I'm working on is a painting of my vision of Reptile, I hope you guys will like it.
Please show me when you're done!

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
I think they nailed his look with MK4, particularly the alt that resembled the UMK3 ninja garb while still having green skin. His primary was pretty the tits as well.

I get why people want a character named Reptile to look like a reptile but his look post MK4 was ass in my factual opinion.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I love Reptile as a character, but one thing that always kind of struck me off, is that I feel as if him being "Reptilian" should be a bit of a secret. Like how Scorpion looks to not be a spectre at first glance until he takes off his mask and you see the skull. By then as we all know it's too late heh.
Exactly! So in order to mantain it secret Reptile should "act" like a human, I mean his stance and movement, because if you look at MK9 Reptile he resembles a wild animal, sort of a beast (like Lizard from Spiderman) more than a lizardman in disguise (MK2 incarnation) like in "V" the tv series.

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
Don't worry i'm not looking for it to be improved but it would be cool to see something like that, the yellow eyes with his thin reptile like pupil.

you know like their pupils look like this;

Only some snakes, crocodilians, and nocturnal lizards generally have pupils like that. Most lizards and many diurnal snakes have round pupils like us, so it wouldn't be wrong to give him round pupils.

Last edited:

MCPeePants

Bout it
Reptile in MK4 looked terrible to me. His alternate was OK, but fuuuuuck his primary was terrible. I preferred Armageddon to MK4 or DA... and other than the huge mouth (teeth/gums), probably liked it more than MK9. Ermac totally jacked his mummy-shroud mask look. Fuck you, Ermac.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Only some snakes, crocodilians, and nocturnal lizards generally have pupils like that. Most lizards and many diurnal snakes have round pupils like us, so it wouldn't be wrong to give him round pupils.
I'm aware, I just said if you could get that kind of reptile pupil it would be cool.