What's new

Region lock

MKR

Noob
Thanks everyone my reason of this question is Pre-order my US ID is PSN plus. NRS should confirm this before ask pre order.

stuck playing wifi warriors.
not in my region
That's a non-sequitur and a meme. Actual LATENCY (compare: connection instability) has nothing to do with what connection type is being availed -- it has to do with net-coding and its efficacy in hiding lag.

If a WiFi connection is so poor as to affect a game, it will be discernible by gameplay pauses, intermittent stuttering, de-syncing or disconnection. Where a game is plain laggy, it is a matter of latency related to how the unavoidable delay in data transfer (i.e., over distance; through servers, modulators and de-modulators; its processing through consoles / PC's... E=MC²) is dissembled (or not) by the net-code used.

Fans of a product are, by very definition, advocates of that product; rendering their claims and opinions, by default, conflicted. As such, blame for technical problems is almost always lumped upon anything that does not implicate that which is / those who are fawned upon.

I have never experienced lag in a fighting game to the sheer degree or distinctive type that I have in NRS games -- something going back as far as MKvDCU. Every other fighting game that I have played online, lag or no lag, functioned differently (and usually better) than NRS games did. Deduction, therefore, dictates that the issue is specific to the online functionality of NRS games and their net-code, and not the Internet connection/s used... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Immortal

Blind justice....
That's a non-sequitur and a meme. Actual LATENCY (compare: connection instability) has nothing to do with what connection type is being availed -- it has to do with net-coding and its efficacy in hiding lag.

If a WiFi connection is so poor as to affect a game, it will be discernible by gameplay pauses, intermittent stuttering, de-syncing or disconnection. Where a game is plain laggy, it is a matter of latency related to how the unavoidable delay in data transfer (i.e., over distance; through servers, modulators and de-modulators; its processing through consoles / PC's... E=MC²) is dissembled (or not) by the net-code used.

Fans of a product are, by very definition, advocates of that product; rendering their claims and opinions, by default, conflicted. As such, blame for technical problems is almost always lumped upon anything that does not implicate that which is / those who are fawned upon.

I have never experienced lag in a fighting game to the sheer degree or distinctive type that I have in NRS games -- something going back as far as MKvDCU. Every other fighting game that I have played online, lag or no lag, functioned differently (and usually better) than NRS games did. Deduction, therefore, dictates that the issue is specific to the online functionality of NRS games and their net-code, and not the Internet connection/s used... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm sorry but the amount of bs in this post is just beyond any level.

You're mixing facts to some degree with some weird ass opinions you made up. You tried to sound smart but in the end you just sound like an uneducated (on the subject) whining scrub.

what year are you living in? nrs has made great strides in their netcode. being a fighting game company to see that fans are upset with their online infrastructure and actually go in and re-work it means a lot. I feel like you just say a lot but you're not really informed

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
That one dude with the rant about how bad NRS games are as far as netcode is high.

Since the patch in MKX that addressed the netcode to a ggpo-like system, NRS have put out some of the best online fighting game mechanics in history. MKX after the patch and Injustice 2 have amazing online play when compared to almost all other fighters.

Out of interest, how many who champion the "greatness" of NRS net-code, have played or know if they are playing against people from outside of their region?

My guess: None, and none.

gitblame

Noob
I played multiple people from NA East in Injustice 2. I am from Poland. It's definetly playable if both sides are wired. I played couple people who I know are from Texas. Of course it's not tournament viable connection, but I could still grind matchups with them. NA West was unplayable.

Out of interest, how many who champion the "greatness" of NRS net-code, have played or know if they are playing against people from outside of their region?

Definitely. For Australia it's something like this:

<100ms is same continent (australia/NZ)
100-200 next closest continent (Asia)
>200 half way around the world (west coast US)
>250 other side of the world (east coast US/EU)

Due to the small amount of players in the Aus/asia zone i get a lot of games with >200ms connections, no one complains about the connection. Apart from the rare lag spike (to be expected when data is traversing 1/2 way around the world), the games are good. Probably no good for someone who expects 0ms delay, or even used to always playing within the same region... but there's only so much you can do to counter physics.

I think with the rollback netcode most issues are fixed. Obviously the closer you are to your opponent the better. I don't think it's required, but an option to find players only in your region would be nice.

That said, i've been playing overseas players since MK:D and every online version since on xbox. As far as i'm concerned region locking doesn't exist. Or least never existed on any Xbox PAL version of the games.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I play MKX

I mean, I've got friends in the UK (I'm from the U.S.) and we play MKX together all the time with no issues. 130ms tops.

D

Deleted member 59910

From Brazil, I’ve played against a german, asked him to get wired and we fought interesting fights all day long. On the other hand, I’ve played against brazilians friends using wifi and was hard to not drop a combo. The best thing possible would be the possibility to deny fights against wifi players and choose the region (not locking the region). Would be your choice to wait or not for a perfect connection fight.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Most of the good online matchmaking games let you choose region and ping range. I think mk11 should too.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?

You're full of shit

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper

When was the last time you played an NRS game? We can't possibly be thinking of the same netcode lol. You know it's leaps and bounds above what we had in MK9 and IGAU right? The GGPO netcode they implemented with the XL patch in MKX is quite good, probably one of the best out there. Like, Killer Instinct good.

Skedar70

Noob
People over here have been indoctrinated out of ignorance to bring in the hate for WiFI like if their "wired" connection from Alaska isn't shit. I have both setups WiFi and Wired and there is no notable difference. The most important aspect in your connection is your ISP internet structure (fiber optics, DSL or cable) their routing, your bandwidth, and in P2p the distance from whomever you are connected to. WiFi or wired connection won't make much of a difference because that is the last part of the connection if the middle part of the connection is garbage your connection will suck. Doesn't matter if you are wireless or wired. This wifi hate started a while back with some rant from pig of the hut who doesn't know shit about networks and it sickens me how people are soo stupid to just repeat what they hear. Sheeple.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
People over here have been indoctrinated out of ignorance to bring in the hate for WiFI like if their "wired" connection from Alaska isn't shit. I have both setups WiFi and Wired and there is no notable difference. The most important aspect in your connection is your ISP internet structure (fiber optics, DSL or cable) their routing, your bandwidth, and in P2p the distance from whomever you are connected to. WiFi or wired connection won't make much of a difference because that is the last part of the connection if the middle part of the connection is garbage your connection will suck. Doesn't matter if you are wireless or wired. This wifi hate started a while back with some rant from pig of the hut who doesn't know shit about networks and it sickens me how people are soo stupid to just repeat what they hear. Sheeple.
I usually agree with you on most things, but not this one. WiFi CAN be as good as its wired counterpart if the situation allows it to be, but a lot of the time this isn't the case. It's totally fine if you're in a small/medium isolated house with the nearest neighbor being hundreds of yards away. But that same WiFi connection in a townhouse with lots of neighbors around turns into pure dogshit as it fights with everybody else's signals. You can change the channel you use sure, but it only helps a little. You're still subject to all kinds of interference. In cases like that, wired is 10 times better.

BecomingDeath13

I've never had issues with anyone using a wired connection but I've always had issues playing someone on wifi. Just saying.

Skedar70

Noob
I've never had issues with anyone using a wired connection but I've always had issues playing someone on wifi. Just saying.
Thats bs. I can prove to you that wired connections can be just as laggy as wireless. Add me on psn. I can purposely make wired or wireless connections laggy because most of the time the issues are not at this stage of the connection.

BecomingDeath13

Thats bs. I can prove to you that wired connections can be just as laggy as wireless. Add me on psn. I can purposely make wired or wireless connections laggy because most of the time the issues are not at this stage of the connection.
When I play my coworker in injustice 2. He doesn't play wired and I get ping spikes up over 400 and a consistent 200+. He's in the same city as me and using the same ISP. So either it's his lack of ethernet or he's over there kicking the router.

My buddy in New York is hard wired and every match I have ever played him in has been absolute fucking butter. It barely ever goes over 65. Even input lag in mk9 netcode is within acceptable ranges.

Last edited:
Derek got asked about it in that one interview and he basically said "I can't answer that" so I guess there's a chance?
Doubt it.

Rule #1 of PR is you never confirm bad news, especially before the product launches. It is possible they're thinking about it (although it's pretty late in development to be going back and forth on that), but more than likely the answer is no, and there's a 0% chance they'd say that in an interview.

As for this argument about connection issues-

I don't know about the rest of you but I haven't played an NRS title personally since MKX on PC. Given the incredible fuckup that was when during the same timeframe I could hop on KI and play just about anyone buttery smooth, yeah it left a pretty awful taste in my mouth.

Maybe it's better now and i'm just out of the loop, but I can certainly see the point of view that NRS netcode sucks, because anyone who bought MK X on PC basically got screwed for months.

BecomingDeath13

Doubt it.

Rule #1 of PR is you never confirm bad news, especially before the product launches. It is possible they're thinking about it (although it's pretty late in development to be going back and forth on that), but more than likely the answer is no, and there's a 0% chance they'd say that in an interview.

As for this argument about connection issues-

I don't know about the rest of you but I haven't played an NRS title personally since MKX on PC. Given the incredible fuckup that was when during the same timeframe I could hop on KI and play just about anyone buttery smooth, yeah it left a pretty awful taste in my mouth.

Maybe it's better now and i'm just out of the loop, but I can certainly see the point of view that NRS netcode sucks, because anyone who bought MK X on PC basically got screwed for months.
QLOC fixed the pc port after High Voltage butchered it. I believe QLOC is doing the mk11 port as well