What's new

Reepal and Aris talk "Hands-On" with Mortal Kombat X @ E3, stamina bar + much more explained

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Ohhhhh, boy. They're adding some massive depth to the game it would seem. Now, just because someone has two bars of meter, they're not necessarily guaranteed a breaker if they used up their stamina bar and it's not fully recharged when they get hit.
Yes I absolutely love it.
So far from what I have seen, though, the stamina meter does replenish while you are being hit. I hope that changes soon.

It would also make people think twice about using interactables, since they drain the stamina meter as well.

E

Eldriken

So breaking requires full stamina bar plus 2 meters correct? If so I think it's perfect.
I'd say it is. Now, if someone REALLY screws up (whiffs something while having an empty stamina bar), THEY can't rely on their breaker to save their ass from getting full combo punished.

I want the Stamina bar to NOT replenish while the character is being hit.

This would mean if your run or backdash gets punished you will eat an unbreakable combo.

This would be AWESOME.
That's quite a punishment just for a bad run/backdash lol. Not being able to break the first few hits until your bar refills is perfect imo.

I'd say it is. Now, if someone REALLY screws up (whiffs something while having an empty stamina bar), THEY can't rely on their breaker to save their ass from getting full combo punished.
But it seems kinda weird to me. I don't see the connection between the stamina bar and the breaker. Why would they do that? Of course it means you need to manage your stamina meter better, but what kind of gameplay are they trying to discourage by making a connection between the stamina bar and the breaker system?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I want the Stamina bar to NOT replenish while the character is being hit.

This would mean if your run or backdash gets punished you will eat an unbreakable combo.

This would be AWESOME.
I disagree... that is too much. I feel that if you are in a "hit" or "combo" state, then your stamina meter should recover at 50% of normal. Right now, the recovery is 2 seconds then refill... 3-4 seconds of a combo for catching someone is perfect IMO. Imagine Kitana's 10 second combos ... I'd have to be creative to get the most damage possible before my opponent can break. Eating a full screen iceball or spear eats away at this recovery time for the stamina meter before you are even hit.

But it seems kinda weird to me. I don't see the connection between the stamina bar and the breaker. Why would they do that? Of course it means you need to manage your stamina meter better, but what kind of gameplay are they trying to discourage by making a connection between the stamina bar and the breaker system?
They're trying to discourage braindead or unstrategic rushdown. If you're going ham on your opponent with run or whatever, and they read/counter correctly, you don't get to just break their punish and try again--you have to eat the punish because you burned your stamina on offense. I love it and hope they slow/stop stamina regen when being hit.

Given the rate stamina regenerates, (very fast) I think it's not so much as to prevent all breakers, but to make it more consequential when you get punished after the opponent makes a good read on you trying to use an interactible (as those are what takes up meter)

So if you try to jump out of a corner using the interactible, and they NJP counter you, you have to eat an unbreakable kombo- as the interactible cost stamina. It seems to balance out the ability of interactibles to get you out of really sticky situations, but adding a significant risk to doing so.

I don't think using stamina in your own combo will put you at risk of eating an unbreakable combo, given you'll be combo-ing the opponent, and by the time they're knocked down, get up, and hitting you, you will have regenerated it by then. I see this mostly as a means to punish very strong defensive options, as opposed to offensive options- which makes sense given forward dash doesn't cost stamina.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I disagree... that is too much. I feel that if you are in a "hit" or "combo" state, then your stamina meter should recover at 50% of normal. Right now, the recovery is 2 seconds then refill... 3-4 seconds of a combo for catching someone is perfect IMO. Imagine Kitana's 10 second combos ... I'd have to be creative to get the most damage possible before my opponent can break. Eating a full screen iceball or spear eats away at this recovery time for the stamina meter before you are even hit.
I thought about this just a couple of mins ago. I agree making the bar regenerate at half speed sounds very good, better than not regenerating at all.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Discouraging waste of stamina by forcing you to take cumulative extra damage before you can break.

Someone with high individual hit damage can take adv of this since you're gonna be getting at least 4 combos per round, in the end you can sneak in something like 10-20% that you couldn't before.

trufenix

bye felicia
I thought about this just a couple of mins ago. I agree making the bar regenerate at half speed sounds very good, better than not regenerating at all.
From the current videos, you actually don't get any stamina just for being hit / during the combo, you start getting it once you hit actual combo-less recovery. Also, the rate of recovery seems to increase the second your opponent starts attacking, so if you're both just sitting there, you get it pretty slow and once they make a move on you it comes back in a hurry.

I'm thinking the logic is that you won't be able to "earn" a breaker mid combo anymore unless you arleady have the stamina when you get hit and interactible punishes will be huge since all interactibles burn half stamina.

edit: There's a ton of stamina burning (lotta interactibles, and some run combos) in this video if you wanna watch how it seems to fluxuate.

E

Eldriken

I personally think it's a good idea that you cannot break if you have the meter for it but don't have the stamina for it. Making a good read and then getting a big, "HAHA. EFF YOU, BRO!" because the person has the meter to stop your punish is certainly annoying.

Like others have said, I really think this adds layers to playing smart and tactfully instead of knowing you can play like an idiot if you have two bars because you can immediately stop their punish.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
So can I do the foward dash motion while holding block to run? Or do i have to let go of block, do the foward dash motion and press block again to start running? If its the first option then all you have to do is hold block and do run block/attack cancels and the inputs wouldnt even be different to mk9 dash blocking except for now you have to hold block while doing it and it would require stamina over time from the running.

Best part is no free wake ups.

And I agree with Aris, I hope Variants aren't like you get one or two specials and that what makes it different.

In WoW you had specs, and there was always clearly a better spec for PvP and PvE. No one really used the others.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I am actually nervous about the implications of a "run jab" style block infinite with every character due to some strings having the ability to dash/run cancel out of them. Will everyone have Kabal-like pressure now?

trufenix

bye felicia
I am actually nervous about the implications of a "run jab" style block infinite with every character due to some strings having the ability to dash/run cancel out of them. Will everyone have Kabal-like pressure now?
Presumably, stamina meter makes that impossible.

trufenix

bye felicia
Nice that at one point Aris says 72 variations is doomed to be unbalanced, then a few minutes later he says they all need different dash meters and stamina meters too.

I'm pretty glad dash blocking and being able to cancel dashes with block in general are gone. It looks stupid but I don't think it's just about aesthetics. Where is the risk in forward dashing if you can just cancel into block at any time? If you dash at an inopportune time you should be blown up by a projectile or worse.

What I get from RIP is that the dash/run into block cancel isn't very functional at this stage of the game. There's still time to fix it, but Hopefully it's(MKX) playable at Evo. That way we can be like, well RIP was overreacting, or agree with him and say run canceling into block sucks fix it NRS pls BibleThump. IMO from what I've seen, you close way too much distance when you dash, to even need a run in the first place.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Why is that dude with the beard NOT working with the MK dev team. Shit any fighting game dev team. Its obvious from his questions that his competitive FG knowledge runs deep, and he can communicate ideas and concerns very well. NRS pls hire that man