What's new

Reepal and Aris talk "Hands-On" with Mortal Kombat X @ E3, stamina bar + much more explained

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
During E3, @Rip aka Reepal got an opportunity to play Mortal Kombat X behind the scenes for several hours. Following his time playing the game hands-on, Rip is drilled with questions on @Aris AvoidingThePuddle podcast. Topics discussed include the stamina bar, character variations and much more.

Starts at 22:15. The dash mechanic and stamina gauge is explained. You can't break a combo without a full stamina gauge, apparently! That's pretty nuts! Be careful with your dashes because if they get punished, you're done, son!

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Alot of misinformation here, it kind of annoyed me, cause its making the game look bad no hate to RIP, hes a cool dude

Edit: At least i hope hes wrong

John Grizzly

Man, I must have missed something huge on here. There is no Run Button?? You dash and then press block to run and then block again to stop it? That seems sort of awkward. I'd prefer a run button instead of the useless flip stance. This is probably old news, though.

I feel like I'll be running when I don't want to soooo much and getting lit the fuck up. =/

IrishMantis

Did you play the game? He got 3 hours with it behind the scenes, I would think it's some what accurate.
see my Edit man i wasn't taking a shot at him

from what we seen he was def wrong about Fwd dash costing Stamina so whats to say hes not wrong about other things,
but till someone confirms or deny it, i guess his source is right

P.S. i worded my starting replay wrong i said like i stated a fact which was wrong of me

E

Eldriken

see my Edit man i wasn't taking a shot at him

from what we seen he was def wrong about Fwd dash costing Stamina so whats to say hes not wrong about other things,
but till someone confirms or deny it, i guess his source is right
That, I believe, you are correct about. It's apparently back dashing that costs stamina, probably because it has i-frames. Forward dashing seems to be free of any cost.

IrishMantis

That, I believe, you are correct about. It's apparently back dashing that costs stamina, probably because it has i-frames. Forward dashing seems to be free of any cost.
Yea i may have spoke to prematurely, he knows more than me, visually the dash's look faster Sub did 2 in a sequence, but that could just be Sub

Edit: that throw 50/50 is a terrible idea they had it perfect in Injustice why change? maybe theres a good reason

John Grizzly

Sub-Zero apparently has a trait that covers him in ice where he takes no chip from projectiles. Sounds pretty badass.

SZ can also shatter the ice clone sending shards of it toward you along with the ability to throw it, as we all know.

That story were Rip said he threw an ice ball and dashed forward, saw Scorpion throw a spear, and tried to dash cancel and ran into it is was hilarious haha. It's going to take time to get used to the controls for sure, but I think over time most will like the movement even more so than mk9.

From the sound of it, NRS is trying to emphasize walking and using space control in their game than just dashing, which is a good thing when it comes to footsies.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
It costs stamina to back dash? That is really weird to me. Hopefully the walk speeds will be quicker. Apparently there is no dash blocking, so if you dash forward, you simply dash forward and commit to whatever. This all sounds like risky business. If people stick with this game, I'd imagine we will all just be walking 99% of the time so we can block at will. I also imagine we'll use the run button more so to finish combos and such.

E

Eldriken

Yea i may have spoke to prematurely, he knows more than me, visually the dash's look faster Sub did 2 in a sequence, but that could just be Sub

Edit: that throw 50/50 is a terrible idea they had it perfect in Injustice why change? maybe theres a good reason
Why is it terrible? You get a free 50/50 off of a MB. It's something I would imagine would be utilized in what would be your winning round and they don't have the meter for a breaker.

Man, I must have missed something huge on here. There is no Run Button?? You dash and then press block to run and then block again to stop it? That seems sort of awkward. I'd prefer a run button instead of the useless flip stance. This is probably old news, though.

I feel like I'll be running when I don't want to soooo much and getting lit the fuck up. =/
stop stressing its just a demo that was made to show at e3 lol its not the final product some of that stuff might be changed.

E

Eldriken

It costs stamina to back dash? That is really weird to me. Hopefully the walk speeds will be quicker. Apparently there is no dash blocking, so if you dash forward, you simply dash forward and commit to whatever. This all sounds like risky business. If people stick with this game, I'd imagine we will all just be walking 99% of the time so we can block at will. I also imagine we'll use the run button more so to finish combos and such.
It likely costs stamina because it has i-frames. That's the only thing I can think of, really. Or maybe it's to make the game more aggressive?

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
That story were Rip said he threw an ice ball and dashed forward, saw Scorpion throw a spear, and tried to dash cancel and ran into it is was hilarious haha. It's going to take time to get used to the controls for sure, but I think over time most will like the movement even more so than mk9.

From the sound of it, NRS is trying to emphasize walking and using space control in their game than just dashing, which is a good thing when it comes to footsies.
That's exactly what I was thinking. The game will be more of a walk back and forth approach than MK9. Also, so much stuff is tied in with stamina, I'd imagine more people will use it for a breaker or to jump out of corner pressure. Running to finish a combo sounds tight, but meter management is going to play a extremely important role in this game. Whatever choices you make can eventually screw you.

IrishMantis

Why is it terrible? You get a free 50/50 off of a MB. It's something I would imagine would be utilized in what would be your winning round and they don't have the meter for a breaker.
Know im on about the Universal throw. In Injustice it was if you had good execution you could break it, more skill rather than guess wrong GGs

E

Eldriken

Know im on about the Universal throw. In Injustice it was if you had good execution you could break it, more skill rather than guess wrong GGs
I don't think I'm following you here.

From what I understand, the universal throw can be MB to leave them standing (I think?) and you're at a major advantage.

I'm sure the MB won't matter if the throw is teched. However, if it isn't teched and they MB it, well, you're in 50/50 land.

IrishMantis

I don't think I'm following you here.

From what I understand, the universal throw can be MB to leave them standing (I think?) and you're at a major advantage.

I'm sure the MB won't matter if the throw is teched. However, if it isn't teched and they MB it, well, you're in 50/50 land.
Im on about using 1 battle to tech the throw like Injustice R1 on PS being only the button, like for example you seen or read the throw press R1 yes you tech'd it
, rather than either 1 or 3 something like that, example for this be like you seen or read the throw press 1 to tech it,
either A) You guessed Right
Or B) Sorry guessing wrong

but as i said there good a method to this madness, if its like Tekken System im cool with that