What's new

Quick Grundy tip - How to blow up walking corpse

BGMD

Noob
More ways to blow it up, the better!

Reason I asked this...

I'm interested, those of you with more Grundy experience, how do they approach Lobo since he has no zoning options against him and lack of proper armor? Do they abuse walking corpse?
...is because I was wondering is it viable tactic to play footsies with Grundy to keep him in WC range whole time, and with multiple ways to stuff WC react accordingly?

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I zone him out as best I can with Pump shots and cross up jump 2. Every now and then, jump 1 beats out his d+2 also. From jump 1, hit or block, I can go for a czar toss. If I'm in range, he's looking to WC. I want him to do it now.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
My room mate plays a solid grundy, and I feel I'm forced to play the walking corpse game to get ANY kind of big damage. I can do ok by staying out of walking corpse range and trying to catch him with low chains at that sweet spot, but eventually he learns that's what I'm doing.

You can get away with playing the low chain game and spending your meter on it for extra damage while avoiding his swamp hands from a distance, but eventually he's going to try to get in. And eventually, he will. My biggest problems with grundy are d2 and walking corpse. If you can get a jump on his walking corpse you can go for the 113 which will blow up walking corpse AND his cancel options. The problem is 113 has to be timed right before he inputs walking corpse. If he doesn't cancel into anything, b2u1 and b12 will work to blow up walking corpse.

The safest option, to me, is to go for mb b3/f3 to blow up walking corpse. Once again though, if you time it too late... walking corpse will beat the mb b3/f3. I wish this game was consistent, but that's what we have to work with.

I saw you say j1 on jump in can beat d2 sometimes. I use j1 a LOT and d2 usually wins way more than j1 wins. I think the only time j1 wins is if the grundy player mistimes their d2. I DID find, however, that j3 beats Grundy's d2 pretty consistently as long as you time it right. J3 seems to have hella priority on it, but it has a short range and a short active frame duration, so timing it perfectly is very important. I wanted to start playing with that a bit more.

In summary, run away and play with low chains while staying out of range of walking corpse and avoiding swamp hands. You can chip away at him little by little, and if you want to MB your low chain for extra damage... even better. But when he gets in you HAVE to play the walking corpse game better than he does. When grundy is on the ground, a well timed 113 in his face will blow up walking corpse and his cancel options, but if you're not up on the timing, mb b3/f3 is your best option for blowing it up. Hit and run, hit and run, hit and run. Load your trait at every opportunity and hit him with a 2~low shot/21~low shot mixup for big damage.

BGMD

Noob
I saw you say j1 on jump in can beat d2 sometimes. I use j1 a LOT and d2 usually wins way more than j1 wins. I think the only time j1 wins is if the grundy player mistimes their d2. I DID find, however, that j3 beats Grundy's d2 pretty consistently as long as you time it right. J3 seems to have hella priority on it, but it has a short range and a short active frame duration, so timing it perfectly is very important. I wanted to start playing with that a bit more.
I was just playing with this a bit. I can do a perfect d2 cancel with Grundy and because he can cancel it anytime b1 and especially b2 options are very risky. You can't react to that.
And from WC mid range, his d2 beats your j1 even if you jump back on reaction. Sometimes it trades, but leaves Grundy at big advantage.
Similar thing happens with j3, but neutral j3 or j1 will beat his cancel if you do it in anticipation, and sometimes cross up.
Another bullshit thing that Grundy can do is cancel WC into MB trait grab, so this takes care of that option.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Chaos, did you watch the vid I posted? I'm sure it can help you in that match up.
BGMD: Regardless, what I showed is simply another layer in the meta game. Is it infallible? Not at all. If I don't see his arms come up, I don't b+2.I commit when HE does, and the average Grundy isn't gonna have that many layers to their game. They haven't had to.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I was just playing with this a bit. I can do a perfect d2 cancel with Grundy and because he can cancel it anytime b1 and especially b2 options are very risky. You can't react to that.
And from WC mid range, his d2 beats your j1 even if you jump back on reaction. Sometimes it trades, but leaves Grundy at big advantage.
Similar thing happens with j3, but neutral j3 or j1 will beat his cancel if you do it in anticipation, and sometimes cross up.
Another bullshit thing that Grundy can do is cancel WC into MB trait grab, so this takes care of that option.
Ah yeah I meant j3 against naked d2, not the WCC into d2. I find that for whatever reason, grundy's d2 is pretty much an invincible wakeup attack as far as lobo is concerned lol. If you're jumping in on grundy, air 3 can beat d2 consistently if timed correctly. But the timing is specific so big frowny face for Lobo vs grundy.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Chaos, did you watch the vid I posted? I'm sure it can help you in that match up.
BGMD: Regardless, what I showed is simply another layer in the meta game. Is it infallible? Not at all. If I don't see his arms come up, I don't b+2.I commit when HE does, and the average Grundy isn't gonna have that many layers to their game. They haven't had to.
Not yet. I'm at work for now, but I'll check it out on my lunch break.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Ah yeah I meant j3 against naked d2, not the WCC into d2. I find that for whatever reason, grundy's d2 is pretty much an invincible wakeup attack as far as lobo is concerned lol. If you're jumping in on grundy, air 3 can beat d2 consistently if timed correctly. But the timing is specific so big frowny face for Lobo vs grundy.
I will learn this timing as best I can.

BGMD

Noob
No, I concur and apologize in addition, I find now that it is easy to time it from whatever distance. It's just that I like to cover all bases lol.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
No, I concur and apologize in addition, I find now that it is easy to time it from whatever distance. It's just that I like to cover all the bases lol.
Oh, I understand. I was just making it clear: I'm not committing until he does. In that regard, he's caught. I doubt he can cancel, then d+2 in time to beat my b+2. That's a lot of layers to be thinking about, too.

I THINK I FOUND A WAY TO 100% AVOID Walking Corpse.

Ok. I was getting annihilated by some one running WC on me the whole game. So I spent a hour or so in the lab with Grundy had him doing WC only.

I think I stumbled on a tech that avoids WC from any distance! Close up face to face or even when he's barely reaching you.

The trick is Lobo's F3 (at that moment when he turns his body sideways before shooting *this is the key* no meter burn required) you have to time your body so it is "sideways" when Grundy does the wc BUT make sure your body is sideways when Grundy has his arms extended outward before clasping them together for the grab. If you turn your body sideways at approximately this window when Grundy has his arms extended outward to his sides the grab will miss you whether your face to face with him or at a distance.

I think I stumbled on a way to completely dodge it. I dodged 80-85% of the grabs (most of them dead in his face) That said, I still suck at this game and I have slow ass reflexes - you pros in here should get it to %100.

Somebody try this and report back here. Just remember. Your body has to be turned sideways during the moment Grundys arms are extended outward prior to joining them for the grab. Do the shot naturally, do not hold in the F3 to prolong the shot animation. Even though I did not test it that way. Either case, study Grundy's animation for WC first and you will see what I'm talking about regarding his arms. I think I found the answer guys. Enjoy.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
I THINK I FOUND A WAY TO 100% AVOID Walking Corpse.

Ok. I was getting annihilated by some one running WC on me the whole game. So I spent a hour or so in the lab with Grundy had him doing WC only.

I think I stumbled on a tech that avoids WC from any distance! Close up face to face or even when he's barely reaching you.

The trick is Lobo's F3 (at that moment when he turns his body sideways before shooting *this is the key* no meter burn required) you have to time your body so it is "sideways" when Grundy does the wc BUT make sure your body is sideways when Grundy has his arms extended outward before clasping them together for the grab. If you turn your body sideways at approximately this window when Grundy has his arms extended outward to his sides the grab will miss you whether your face to face with him or at a distance.

I think I stumbled on a way to completely dodge it. I dodged 80-85% of the grabs (most of them dead in his face) That said, I still suck at this game and I have slow ass reflexes - you pros in here should get it to %100.

Somebody try this and report back here. Just remember. Your body has to be turned sideways during the moment Grundys arms are extended outward prior to joining them for the grab. Do the shot naturally, do not hold in the F3 to prolong the shot animation. Even though I did not test it that way. Either case, study Grundy's animation for WC first and you will see what I'm talking about regarding his arms. I think I found the answer guys. Enjoy.

I thought it'd just be F3 counts as a, like, float attack. Practically the same properties as a jump. You can't get grabbed while you jump.
Ofc, if Grundy sees his WC being blown up. Prepare your face for a cleaver.

Fellas, I was still grabbed when I did not do it during that small window of opportunity. You guys can test it out. Lets get actual imperical data versus just theorizing.

Regarding what happens after you dodge his WC. That's on all of us to figure out. I was just lucky to accidentally find a way that actually dodges his WC by a huge percentage.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Works sometimes. Other times it doesn't. Grundy has multiple ways to blow it up. Spray and pray.

Lately I've found that jumping backwards is the best option. Jump back and wait to see what he does while you're in the air. If he completes wc, hit him with a j2 on the way down and full combo. If he cancels into something, his move will whiff since you're a ways away and you can input d3 while you're in the air for a hard knock down. I do this to counter wc and wcc~d2. You really have to be at the perfect distance for this to work.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Works sometimes. Other times it doesn't. Grundy has multiple ways to blow it up. Spray and pray.

Lately I've found that jumping backwards is the best option. Jump back and wait to see what he does while you're in the air. If he completes wc, hit him with a j2 on the way down and full combo. If he cancels into something, his move will whiff since you're a ways away and you can input d3 while you're in the air for a hard knock down. I do this to counter wc and wcc~d2. You really have to be at the perfect distance for this to work.
That's the whole point of doing the research. There has to be some consistent frames/timing where Lobo can't get grabbed. We just have to explore and find it.

Chaos did you do what I mentioned? Being that you are tournament player with a awesome Lobo I would had thought you would had no problems and probably landed a 90-95% success rate.

I was able to f3 right through it as long as his arms were wide open before the initial joining of his arms to complete a grab. I was literally able to 5-6 in a row. If my reflexes were faster I would breeze through. I'm not home now but I will try again later.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Chaos did you do what I mentioned? Being that you are tournament player with a awesome Lobo I would had thought you would had no problems and probably landed a 90-95% success rate.

I was able to f3 right through it as long as his arms were wide open before the initial joint of his arms to complete a grab. I was literally able to 5-6 in a row. If my reflexes were faster I would breeze through. I'm not home now but I will try again later.
Yeah I go for mb f3 on his wakeup quite a bit. Sometimes it blows up wc, other times the 2 moves just cancel each other out and nobody gets hit, aside from the minor damage he absorbs from it.

As a Bane player, I have noticed a lot of characters B2 is ungrabbable. I need to make a list of whose is and whose isn't but its food for thought for the match up.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2

I never used mb. I'll try again later. Sorry guys it worked so well for me. Mind you I am not speaking about follow up I was just merely isolating this to my results dodging the WC alone.

If Its not working for Chaos, and this guys a tourney player - then it's not working. I'm still going to try when I get home again ill count the number of success vs fails amongst 20 attempts or so. Sorry for the hype guys.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
As a Bane player, I have noticed a lot of characters B2 is ungrabbable. I need to make a list of whose is and whose isn't but its food for thought for the match up.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2
I had a Nightwing player confirm his standing 2 in Staff mode crushes WC also. Not sure about his b+2 in Escrima.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Usually, when I know a Grundy likes to wake up with a WC, I just jump over him and low space hook.
Same can go for other similar wake ups.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Usually, when I know a Grundy likes to wake up with a WC, I just jump over him and low space hook.
Same can go for other similar wake ups.
But if he cancels to d2 you're efffffff'd

I currently really like my strategy of just jumping back and reacting to what he does. It seems to be the most reliable way I can do anything against his wakeup. But even then, wakeup cleaver will knock my ass out of the air since it has good reach.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
But if he cancels to d2 you're efffffff'd

I currently really like my strategy of just jumping back and reacting to what he does. It seems to be the most reliable way I can do anything against his wakeup. But even then, wakeup cleaver will knock my ass out of the air since it has good reach.
If you jump over as he starts it, he can't cancel in time to D2 you.
Also. Grundy's D2. Fuck Grundy's D2.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
If you jump over as he starts it, he can't cancel in time to D2 you.
Also. Grundy's D2. Fuck Grundy's D2.
That shit hits behind his head though. I get hit with it so much. Maybe I'm just super afraid of d2 but I swear I've tried that.