What's new

"Prepare to be Astounded!" - Zatanna General Discussion Thread

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I don't seem to have the problem with any attacks whiffing with a double j2...
Go from one side of HOJ plaza to the other using only the low starter. Set the computer to jump forward and end your vortex combos with j2, etativel cancel 2. I've never been able to successfully do this but perhaps my timing is wrong.

SYK

Noob
Hey guys i am having massive trouble trying to figure out how use zatanas Normals what is she suppose to do close up and what are her best buttons to use. if this has been said already, i apologise for brining it up again

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
Hey guys i am having massive trouble trying to figure out how use zatanas Normals what is she suppose to do close up and what are her best buttons to use. if this has been said already, i apologise for brining it up again
standing 3 is good upclose has really good range and is fast 13 frames. F2 is a good normal too also 13 frames and ok reach

Reactions: SYK

SYK

Noob
standing 3 is good upclose has really good range and is fast 13 frames. F2 is a good normal too also 13 frames and ok reach
Thanks allot bro also how are ppl finding her telerportation input i find it incredibly hard to do during a match is there any sort of short cut for it or a easier way of doing it?

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
Thanks allot bro also how are ppl finding her telerportation input i find it incredibly hard to do during a match is there any sort of short cut for it or a easier way of doing it?
it takes some getting used to while under pressure but once you get used to it, its a great mobility tool. I like teleporting backwards on wakeup and then jumping in to punish the opponents attack. She has so many options I love this character

Reactions: SYK

SaJa

FH_FenriR
it takes some getting used to while under pressure but once you get used to it, its a great mobility tool. I like teleporting backwards on wakeup and then jumping in to punish the opponents attack. She has so many options I love this character

I don't think teleport is good for wakeup at all. The only decent wakeups Zatanna has are bf1 & bf2 which are both unsafe.
The other don't have invincible frames so it's free for the opponent to punish it.

Zatanna has the same issue than Lobo imo.

SYK

Noob
I feel her biggest problem are her strings and normals. Their range makes no sense compared to others in the cast i feel she may have to be played very unorthodox. she does not have any stand out strings which can help her footsies

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
I don't think teleport is good for wakeup at all. The only decent wakeups Zatanna has are bf1 & bf2 which are both unsafe.
The other don't have invincible frames so it's free for the opponent to punish it.

Zatanna has the same issue than Lobo imo.
i haven't had any issues using it as a wakeup. Learning the timing and when you can and cant use it takes alittle time. I use it to get out of the corner and i use it to tele away a lot. The MB version is instant as well so tele is def a viable wakeup option as well as bf1 and bf2

SaJa

FH_FenriR
i haven't had any issues using it as a wakeup. Learning the timing and when you can and cant use it takes alittle time. I use it to get out of the corner and i use it to tele away a lot. The MB version is instant as well so tele is def a viable wakeup option as well as bf1 and bf2

Yeah, using one meter on wakeup can be an option.

Despite that, feel free to use a teleport as a wakeup.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
I reversed the video myself and slowed it to a crawl, still couldn't understand it.

For me, the first word sounds like 'inert' (inert - lacking the ability or strength to move) guess that kinda makes sense. The problem is that when you say it backwards it doesn't sound like what she says.

kevkopdx

Noob
I reversed the video myself and slowed it to a crawl, still couldn't understand it.

For me, the first word sounds like 'inert' (inert - lacking the ability or strength to move) guess that kinda makes sense. The problem is that when you say it backwards it doesn't sound like what she says.
she sounds like she makes a distinctive T sound at the beginning, phonetically "tuh sal" or tsal, maybe its "on earth at last?"

Hey guys, this is a video showing some tricks I used in a local tourney. For those asking the bf3 resets are used to bait out an attack then counter. Please subscribe to my channel, it means alot.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
she sounds like she makes a distinctive T sound at the beginning, phonetically "tuh sal" or tsal, maybe its "on earth at last?"
Before the whole 'video reversing' deal and I was trying to figure out by myself, this is what I had too. For me, it sounds like 'tisalvay jernum', obviously that doesn't mean anything, but that's basically what I hear.

kevkopdx

Noob
Before the whole 'video reversing' deal and I was trying to figure out by myself, this is what I had too. For me, it sounds like 'tisalvay jernum', obviously that doesn't mean anything, but that's basically what I hear.
thats exactly what i hear, too... i cannot understand how that "jer" part is sounding like "rth" in reverse!

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
thats exactly what i hear, too... i cannot understand how that "jer" part is sounding like "rth" in reverse!
Her reverse clash quote doesn't sound like it should either.

EDIT: The 'On Earth' part may make sense, her super takes her opponent to her universe according to the description.

EDIT #2: So I'm getting 'On Earth It Lost' which when said backwards would be 'tsol ti htrea no', that sounds kinda similar to what she says when played normally. I've been reading her comics, and she reverses her words differently in there. In Inj she just reverses the sentence, but the comics reverse the first word, then the next etc.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Okay guys so I played about 18 hours of Zatanna only in the past few days and I'll just talk a bit about how I find she works(If anything I write here has been found it is old info, excuse it because I haven't been reading the forums too much.)

I've played against @Zaf's scorpion(maybe he can chime in one some things as well), and I had to deal with Teleport, so trait was non existant at first.

Pressure: At first I had no idea how to pressure with her, but I realized how insane her pressure is. If you get in range of B1U3 and it's blocked, you can either MB Rings(+9), Kick(and MB if you want), or teleport(MB). This alone is actually insane, because you can make them respect one thing and throw in the next. This goes for when using 112 as well, you can do all of those options, or just be at 0. Once they start fearing this, that's when B21 comes into play, and you start comboing off of this into kicks and ending in whatever you want.

F21: Ending with this is SO godlike, it's unbelieveable. Anytime you F21, you're in range for another F21 which will catch them if they try to backdash or jump out (same goes for standing 3), and you can go into kicks and put them back in the same situation, end in cards, end in trance or whatever you want. If you wanna keep pressure, you can do F21, Ji2 xx Levitate J2 again to keep pressure going(even though this is negative, instant overhead is amazing). I found this to be really effective when I was playing.

Trait: Against Scorpion, getting trait out is hard because of the teleport, but the main time I would be able to get it out would be when I would do a B3 and go straight into trait, once in trait you do a low shot to force them to block, and you NEED to lighting cage on read to teleport. The thing about lightning cage that's amazing, is that it absorbs one hit(you still take the damage), but it's an amazing get off me move, doing 12% damage on hit.

MB Fireball: If you can ever get this out(and want to go for trait), you can follow with MB rings behind it to force them to block, then go into trait.

Cards: I found something really interesting with this today(if it's old sorry), but this move actually OTG's. If you do cards as meaty, and your opponent doesn't do anything, it'll stand them up or hit them, and it also seems like the active frames on it are INSANE and lasts forever. I started using this as a whiff punishing too as well, because Z's limbs are too small.

Teleport: I'll guess I'll talk about this by itself. Her MB teleport is one of the most ridiculous things in the game. Whenever you have meter and you wanna punish something, always do this. So many times I was able to just MB teleport on reaction to Scorpions Hellfire or spear and full combo punish. The only problems I've had with teleport, are the way the tracking on it works when trying to avoid another teleport, sometimes on Scorpion it'll bypass it completely, and other's it will get it. With MMH overhead teleport, the teleport tracks Z's teleport, so it's almost useless to ever do this.

Divekick: I only started using MB divekick today and haven't gotten very good at using it, but this is going to be a really good pressure tool. You can go into any string out of it instantly and it will add to her pressure (I'm going to try using this like Sonya's divekick although it's not as good).

Levitate: I was able to do some weird things with levitate, where I would do it directly over Scorpion's head, and the character would almost "bug out" in a sense and just keep going left and right and I'd 100% of the time hit him into a combo. I don't think we can do this consistently but it's just something I though I'd note.

That's all I have for now, whenever I get more things (or thing of something I missed), I'll post about it.

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
Okay guys so I played about 18 hours of Zatanna only in the past few days and I'll just talk a bit about how I find she works(If anything I write here has been found it is old info, excuse it because I haven't been reading the forums too much.)

I've played against @Zaf's scorpion(maybe he can chime in one some things as well), and I had to deal with Teleport, so trait was non existant at first.

Pressure: At first I had no idea how to pressure with her, but I realized how insane her pressure is. If you get in range of B1U3 and it's blocked, you can either MB Rings(+9), Kick(and MB if you want), or teleport(MB). This alone is actually insane, because you can make them respect one thing and throw in the next. This goes for when using 112 as well, you can do all of those options, or just be at 0. Once they start fearing this, that's when B21 comes into play, and you start comboing off of this into kicks and ending in whatever you want.

F21: Ending with this is SO godlike, it's unbelieveable. Anytime you F21, you're in range for another F21 which will catch them if they try to backdash or jump out (same goes for standing 3), and you can go into kicks and put them back in the same situation, end in cards, end in trance or whatever you want. If you wanna keep pressure, you can do F21, Ji2 xx Levitate J2 again to keep pressure going(even though this is negative, instant overhead is amazing). I found this to be really effective when I was playing.

Trait: Against Scorpion, getting trait out is hard because of the teleport, but the main time I would be able to get it out would be when I would do a B3 and go straight into trait, once in trait you do a low shot to force them to block, and you NEED to lighting cage on read to teleport. The thing about lightning cage that's amazing, is that it absorbs one hit(you still take the damage), but it's an amazing get off me move, doing 12% damage on hit.

MB Fireball: If you can ever get this out(and want to go for trait), you can follow with MB rings behind it to force them to block, then go into trait.

Cards: I found something really interesting with this today(if it's old sorry), but this move actually OTG's. If you do cards as meaty, and your opponent doesn't do anything, it'll stand them up or hit them, and it also seems like the active frames on it are INSANE and lasts forever. I started using this as a whiff punishing too as well, because Z's limbs are too small.

Teleport: I'll guess I'll talk about this by itself. Her MB teleport is one of the most ridiculous things in the game. Whenever you have meter and you wanna punish something, always do this. So many times I was able to just MB teleport on reaction to Scorpions Hellfire or spear and full combo punish. The only problems I've had with teleport, are the way the tracking on it works when trying to avoid another teleport, sometimes on Scorpion it'll bypass it completely, and other's it will get it. With MMH overhead teleport, the teleport tracks Z's teleport, so it's almost useless to ever do this.

Divekick: I only started using MB divekick today and haven't gotten very good at using it, but this is going to be a really good pressure tool. You can go into any string out of it instantly and it will add to her pressure (I'm going to try using this like Sonya's divekick although it's not as good).

Levitate: I was able to do some weird things with levitate, where I would do it directly over Scorpion's head, and the character would almost "bug out" in a sense and just keep going left and right and I'd 100% of the time hit him into a combo. I don't think we can do this consistently but it's just something I though I'd note.

That's all I have for now, whenever I get more things (or thing of something I missed), I'll post about it.
Nice write up! I think shes a solid character that will take time and patience to excel with. Everyone is so quick to write off a character as "just bad" just because they require more skill than others. Same thing happened with Skarlet at first. Zatanna is really good and shes going to have a lot of sneaky tricks to keep the opponent guessing.

zaf

professor
yea i pretty much agree with everything jer posted.

it is annoying to knockdown zatanna to have her do a wakeup mb teleport behind you and hit you into full combo.
that is some dumb stuff.
it is punishable, if you read a teleport just do a neutral jump into a good aerial......

she has a really good vortex.
ending a blockstring into mb rings or into mb kicks is a very good 50/50. you are safe at the end as well so why not right ?

trait kinda useless against anyone with a teleport or something that will hit her out right away.

she has a lot of tools. so she will definitely be well equipped to fight the cast.

Jer Yeah I finally got a solid 2 hours of training. A lot of what you touched on for standing reset pressure is what I have been toying with too good write up. I didn't know cards solid otg'd, so it will stop supes wakeup? Awesome. Just heavily punishable at -17 though or is it better frames as meaty. The cards do linger fairly long and the hit box is tall, good poke imo against some cast. Also I have been doing trait at the end of knockdown combos and just getting them to block db3 or if they get hit sweet. You can actually throw it out very early before they get up and it will linger and catch people off guard and reset situation in corner.