What's new

Practicing Online

Everything Deathstroke does becomes safe. Can't dash between gunshots (uuuugggghhh)

Blocking Doomsday's Earthshaker in even the mildest of lag is nearly impossible to do. You can compensate after a few games, but if it's ranked matches and therefore 1 and off, you're screwed.

Normally fuzzyable Aquaman mixups, and extremely fast-to-block low to overheads.

Superman insta-MB-ing his Heat Vision means you have to preemptively block high- you end up eating a ton of chip from his other lasers.

Batman can jump all day free. Delay makes even good D2 opportunities very risky.

...That's about it for everything that suddenly becomes a salt-generating S+ tier tactic when online compared to offline. It's actually not too bad given it's really only that small group of characters, but oh god, running into consecutive Deathstrokes and Doomsdays is what keeps me away from ranked.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
how much stuff I get away with Harley amazes me.
Safe tantrum cartwheels and ts3
No one punishes air gunshots.
No one dashes cupcakes
No one punish the b2 pop pop input error.

Catwoman
Some people say d1 50/50 is dumb but Catwoman does get a 50/50 after a hit d1
No one punishes catdash
I get away with too many whiffed b3

JDM

Noob
It's not unblockable online. I consistently block it in Doomsday mirrors (or against characters that have Earth Shake-esque setups like Joker). Just ask @Immortal Kombat.

If a Doomsday player can consistently block their own move, other people should level up and do it as well. If the connection is shitty, then that's excusable. But in a good connection, it's not.
It's different if you play online very often. I don't, I rarely ever do. Whenever I play offline I block it 8/10 times, online I get hit 8/10 times, even when I swear I'm blocking.

I suck online though, so take it as you will.

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
What I've noticed is Scorpions resets working way better online.

WW's B23 has more advantage.

GL's B13 having way more advantage.

Deathstrokes Flip-sword nearly being plus on block in certain situations.

More hit advantage with Aquaman's DB2.

Safer DF2 with Raven.

People d1'ing out of Shazam's 22 set-up.

Multiple strings with Batman seem safer.

Superman sometimes being able to Heat Zap the entire match with no time to block and dash in.

Oddly enough, I never notice Batgirl, Zod, MMH, Doomsday, or Flash having any advantage due to online, but that's just in my experience.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Some of these things might be MU specific:
  • Green Latern's B13.
Wut

Do you mean as far as, dashing out of it? Because that string still gets plenty of work done offline. See: Orochi and more recently Gross

Any string that starts with a 9-frame hitbox-lowering advancing low with a character-length range and phantom hitbox, can't compeltely be written off as an "Online Only Tactic" as long as whoever is using it has decent spacing and footsies.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
All slow overheads and lows turning into true 50/50's. Not being able to block f3 (the slow ones) on reaction is insane. Not to mention footsies don't really exist online.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Wut

Do you mean as far as, dashing out of it? Because that string still gets plenty of work done offline. See: Orochi and more recently Gross

Any string that starts with a 9-frame hitbox-lowering advancing low with a character-length range and phantom hitbox, can't compeltely be written off as an "Online Only Tactic" as long as whoever is using it has decent spacing and footsies.
obviously backdashing it.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Wut

Doing it at the beginning of a match is a terrible idea. How many times have we seen Chris G getting hit by b12 xx rockets over and over again? Just because it's used smartly or because someone doesn't know the MU doesn't it's unpunishable. Even if it's painfully obvious it's coming, it's virtually impossible to punish online.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Doing it at the beginning of a match is a terrible idea. How many times have we seen Chris G getting hit by b12 xx rockets over and over again? Just because it's used smartly or because someone doesn't know the MU doesn't it's unpunishable. Even if it's painfully obvious it's coming, it's virtually impossible to punish online.
Doing it at the beginning of a match doesn't even work online, though, against a skilled opponent.

This is one point I definitely have to agree with @Eldriken on. I play GL, and when I play mirrors I don't get hit with most of the supposedly unblockable/unpunishable BS online. So if I can defend against it, anyone should be able to.

It might be different from Mexico/Greece -> US, but on a standard connection I'd never mash b1 at match start unless I suspect my opponent just doesn't know how to deal with it.

Last edited:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Doing it at the beginning of a match doesn't even work online, though, against a skilled opponent.

This is one point I definitely have to agree with @Eldriken on. I play GL, and when I play mirrors I don't get hit with most of the supposedly unblockable/unpunishable BS online. So if I can defend against it, anyone should be able to.
It shouldn't. Yet it does. Because it's online.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I do really hope MKX plays better online. It will be a damn shame if it plays like MK9 and Injustice. Please look at how other games play online compared to NRS games.

Oh yeah and I want to 2nd this because I've been saying it forever.

Fucking stupid ass Zod eye laser and trait grab is not a fucking 50/50! Add 10 frames of input lag and it is...