What's new

Please make MKX handle latency better than MK9 and Injustice.

This argument you present kinda goes out the window when you realize that people are talking about how much better other games play online.
Input delay doesn't really affect anything besides fighters. Very slight unnoticeable lag in halo could be detrimental to a fighter. But people who have bad connections to begin with just can't accept that it's their fault, and there's nothing you can do aside from upgrading your shit.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Input delay doesn't really affect anything besides fighters. Very slight unnoticeable lag in halo could be detrimental to a fighter. But people who have bad connections to begin with just can't accept that it's their fault, and there's nothing you can do aside from upgrading your shit.
I should have been more clear, I meant other fighting games. Street fighter, killer instinct and other fighting games all perform way better online than injustice does. It's not our connection, it's the way the game handles the lag. Many people will agree with this.

I should have been more clear, I meant other fighting games. Street fighter, killer instinct and other fighting games all perform way better online than injustice does. It's not our connection, it's the way the game handles the lag. Many people will agree with this.
I can't disagree with that, I'm just saying in some cases, people would rather blame the developers than accept they don't have good internet service. When I play people I know, specifically from my friends list, even on steam, the games have little to no lag. But play against some random ass dude from Uganda, it's gonna be pretty terrible. If it's not player A with the bad connection, it might be player B, who will drag both down. How do you code around 1200ms network lag?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I never understood why SFIV plays better online than MK9. One is two years older than the other lol. Anyway, your connection is just as important as the netcode itself.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I can't disagree with that, I'm just saying in some cases, people would rather blame the developers than accept they don't have good internet service. When I play people I know, specifically from my friends list, even on steam, the games have little to no lag. But play against some random ass dude from Uganda, it's gonna be pretty terrible. If it's not player A with the bad connection, it might be player B, who will drag both down. How do you code around 1200ms network lag?
Still MK9 and Injustice both play really bad compared to other fighting games in general even with people within the same state. Some people may think it's fine, I personally don't think it's very playable because of the way the game changes with the added frames of delay. I would say in the best of connections in Injustice you're probably dealing with like 6 or 7 frames of input lag. That's terrible if you ask me but some people tolerate it.

In SF4 if you play only green bar connections you probably only get a max of like 3 frames of lag in the worst green connections. In KI, SSF2T HD remix and GGPO games I don't have any input lag. You can actually react to whats happening on screen. It's not just combos that get affected by delay. With low frame lag footsies become possible, reactive blocking based on the way the other player is moving is possible and slow overheads and lows don't become true 50/50's. It's just a different game in general.

Matix218

Get over here!
There is no logical reason why mkx's online shouldn't be at least as good if not better than any capcom or namco game. Mk is a massive money making franchise for WB and making sure that the game has a big enough budget for netcode and quality servers should be a no brainer in this day and age. All I would want is it to at least be on par with the online that the other fighting games have (which to this point nrs has not been able to do...)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is very true. With the number of people playing MK9 online, imagine how many more there would have been if the netcode was on par with some of the other titles that have been mentioned. The online multiplay in both MK9 and Injustice suffered from many of the same issues; and although it was improved in IGAU, it's still not up to the standard of several other fighting games.

Killer Instinct was a first-generation title and received very positive reviews for the netcode, so it's definitely possible regardless of the age of the franchise.

Hopefully they will work hard on it and bring it up to speed for MKX -- because a great MK game with a much smoother online experience would prove to be incredibly addictive, and the fans would thank NRS for it.

Also, the room/session/matchmaking mechanics could really use a solid update. The KOTH system was fairly barebones in MK9 and IGAU; but it'd be great to see some of the things that have become standard in other lobby systems, like the ability to spectate rather than having to fight an afk player over and over again.