What's new

Player 1 has host advantage

Somberness

Lights
if this was true then after sindel did a 44 on 1 pl side then the d1 would be pretty much guaranteed afterwards since 44 is neutral and she has a 6frame d1, but I've been beat plenty of times by reptiles dash and kunglaos spin and pokes on 2pl side these are 6 frame moves and if pl 1 has advantage then I would win every time. I'm pretty sure it's random. Just my opinion based on observations.
4,4 is -1. And I can't tell if this works with buttons being pressed at the same time, I just know that player 1 wins everything when the game decides a trade.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
okay so i was tryin this with sindels f12 which IS neutral and was still gettin dashed by reptile before I could d1. either I'm just slow or this has gotta be random

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
4,4 is -1. And I can't tell if this works with buttons being pressed at the same time, I just know that player 1 wins everything when the game decides a trade.
yeah, as long as it's not something that guarantees pl1 to win everytime in situations where pl 1 could do somethin neutral on block and then get a guaranteed 6 frame move afterwards so player 2 could never poke out then it's not so bad. NRS at least did a good job of making it feel random

Yes, I actually think the game has random lag for one player. I asked hanzo if he could record the screen to see when the game was reading the inputs but he couldn't. The game always shows player 1 winning when moves become active on the same frame but it seems like it forces player 1 to go last at times. Every other situation then pressing a button at the same time still applies, it would still be something you have to be aware of. I can't think of any other explanation really.
Maybe they tried to alternate priority, but messed up and it only works a small percentage of the time. :)
that was my first instinct lol. a random lag given everything else wouldn't be that surprising either.

What happens when 2 moves that remain active for a while (most charges like Sub-Zero's Slide) meet each other while active? Does the P1 advantage win out or does the game go by who inputted it first?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Unfortunately hes a good programmer just never got a job b/c he knows NO ONE in the field and for people to get a job no a days means you have to know people. I trust him b/c he went to school and learned this stuff.

If hes wrong then hes wrong. I'm just quoting him on this.

Its not random. It alternates by frame who wins according to NRS. Example if the trade starts then frame 1 player 1 wins then frame 2 player 2 wins.

In other words it has to calculate each single frame every time a jab or move is thrown out to see if there is somehow going to be a trade. Unless they have ir programmed by even and odd #'s in which case doesnt have to count each frame just whether its even or odd which isnt so bad but idk how programming works.

Also take in the fact i said it "MIGHT" so hes not saying that is the reason.
It's as simple as changing a variable from 0 to 1 and back again every tick. There is virtually no memory being used except for that one variable. When a collision occurs, it checks that variable to see who has advantage.

What happens when 2 moves that remain active for a while (most charges like Sub-Zero's Slide) meet each other while active? Does the P1 advantage win out or does the game go by who inputted it first?
a mileena mirror, both mileenas telekick on the same frame...

That's not correct. Something similar to below would have to run 30 times a second:

If player1.priority = true then
Player1.priority = false
Player2.priority = true
Else
Player1.priority = true
Player2.priority = false
End if

The if check during collision that u referred to would be checking the above properties to determine who wins out. But that alone would do nothing without the above code executing every other frame.
You're not thinking like an NRS programmer.

The code is probably more like:

If Player1.priority = true then
Player1.AlternateCostumeHitbox = 12.3-4
Player2.priority = Player1.priority + Player2.priority / 3
Else
Player1.priority = Player2.health - 10%
Player2.priority = Bananas
End if

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Pretty often I'd say: yesterday I fought against Cage doing d.3 after f3/21 - I was able to poke out only once or twice with my 7 frame d.3 out of numerous attempts through the course of 10 or so matches. Effectively you can only block his d.3 and punish in this situation, however if Cage know/sees that - you'll be f.3-ed to death.
I'd like to call myself out and say I'm wrong. While hard to time things on the first exact frame it does happen pretty often, often enough to make a difference. Even if not timed on the first frame, if player 2 tried to poke out p1 will always have that 1 frame advantage.

Btw I wouldn't go as far as saying p1 gets +1 on everything now, if someone throws out an attack that is -1 on block any 6 frame attack will beat p1's follow up. You can still move in the same amount of frames but you can't counter poke against a 6 frame attack with both players being at 0 if p1 times it perfectly.

It's really fucked up but I guess you can counter certain situations with armor if you know p1 is going to take advantage of the trade advantage. Still one of the dumbest things in fighting games.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I'd like to call myself out and say I'm wrong. While hard to time things on the first exact frame it does happen pretty often, often enough to make a difference. Even if not timed on the first frame, if player 2 tried to poke out p1 will always have that 1 frame advantage.

Btw I wouldn't go as far as saying p1 gets +1 on everything now, if someone throws out an attack that is -1 on block any 6 frame attack will beat p1's follow up. You can still move in the same amount of frames but you can't counter poke against a 6 frame attack with both players being at 0 if p1 times it perfectly.

It's really fucked up but I guess you can counter certain situations with armor if you know p1 is going to take advantage of the trade advantage. Still one of the dumbest things in fighting games.
The issue is 0 frame moves and block strings. And there are tons and tons of situations that this comes into play, this also effects any character with 6 frame moves and pokes, This changes allot of match ups.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Oh god I cant wait for this shit to get out, yet another (legit) reason for the rest of the fighting game community not to take us seriously.

Espio

Kokomo
What I find interesting based on the videos is that player 2 wins sometimes and when it came to Sub-Zero's anti airing each other is was close to the same as well. Surely it's bad, but if it's not a 100% "P1 wins", that makes it less bad than originally thought.

Did somebody tweet this or something at NRS? I just ask because if it's as big of a deal as it appears to be, the sooner they know, the less chance we have of it showing up in the sequel.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Oh god I cant wait for this shit to get out, yet another (legit) reason for the rest of the fighting game community not to take us seriously.
yeah, like its *OUR* fault the designers made this choice right? get out of here with that crap dude.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
it wouldnt scare me off if i were a new player, im not saying it isnt a big deal, but i kinda feel some people are overblowing the impact this is going to have
This alone no, this combined with all the other things would make me say "why should I take this game seriously again?"