What's new

Petition to let custom variation in competitive play MK11

Slymind

Noob
Also, a question: aren't tournament rules entirely decided by who is organizing It? Does NRS have a saying in It?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Too early for this shit, we don't have enough information to know whether or not customs will be fair for competitive play. Give it time.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Ultimately it will come down to the people running the tourneys. Even if the abilities were balanced, the people running the tourneys might not like the unpredictability of throwing in a bunch of other abilities. Plus they would need down time for each player to customize their Variation, and that probably wouldn't be easy to do. But hey, that's just opinion. I'll sign it.
Best solution to this is to just quickly choose your abilities from a list via the character select screen, just like choosing variations. And if people are worried about endless counterpicks, then just assign each ability on the list to a button. So you’d press like, square, triangle, R2, for example, to choose those specific abilities. But there would be no visual feedback, so your opponent wouldn’t know what you picked. Kinda like choosing plays in a football game.

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
You play them, and adapt.
That's ridiculous, you'd spend the whole first game trying to figure out what special moves they have and if they can punish some of your strings. Then after you win a game they can just swap character and variation and you're back to square one!

I just don't see how it can be balanced for tournament play, if you think counter picking is bad now wait until custom variations are allowed.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
That's ridiculous, you'd spend the whole first game trying to figure out what special moves they have and if they can punish some of your strings. Then after you win a game they can just swap character and variation and you're back to square one!

I just don't see how it can be balanced for tournament play, if you think counter picking is bad now wait until custom variations are allowed.
Keep in mind, you’d have the same exact advantage.

I guess I find it to be more skillful to win when you don’t know what your opponent is going to do. It makes matches much less predictable, which makes them much more fun. Frame data obsession is just... boring.

Chaos is beauty.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Too early for this shit, we don't have enough information to know whether or not customs will be fair for competitive play. Give it time.
That's the point. Now it's the best time since they are still working on the game: if they see that we want this, they'll balance those moves for competitive, otherwise they'll focus on balacing the pre made variations.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
That's the point. Now it's the best time since they are still working on the game: if they see that we want this, they'll balance those moves for competitive, otherwise they'll focus on balacing the pre made variations.
I hope you're right. My worry is that so many aspects are really hard to make competitively balanced and that the variation system's custom bits are where they migrate moves that are an imbalance hazard. I hope I'm wrong though.

Rizz091

Noob
What a naive thing to think. You see how mkx turned out right ? Or how about how broken the gear moves were ?

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
They could make the moves selectable at the character select screen via a check box sub menu after you have chosen your fighter. You get 3 points. More powerful moves take up more points to limit mixing and matching the most powerful sets of moves together. Just call this variation simply "Custom". If it turns out that a move is too strong, make it worth more points via a patch. The first bit of what I described is already in the game via the customization menus. They devs can simplify what I just described for quickly selecting moves during character selection.

Either they do that or we will just end up with a bunch of cool moves in the game that will never be used just like Injustice 2.

I'm still fine with set variations too but this is how they could solve the issue.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
A petition? Dude, I think you're taking this too seriously. Calm down dude.

As for the matter at hand, as I've said in the other thread, there is no problem if the Variation system being the same under competitive mode as in MKX, as you still have 3 options to play the character the 'שט you want, unlike in IJ2 and almost all other fighting games. Of course that will be cool to have the option to pick the moves you want for tournament play, but it's still a lot better to have 3 options for movesets, and therefore possible directions of gameplan, rather then one per character. And regarding the balance, it will be fine regardless. NRS already proved that they improve the balance form game to game, MKX and IJ2 are both super balanced, and it will be the same for MK11.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
What a naive thing to think. You see how mkx turned out right ? Or how about how broken the gear moves were ?
MKX was harder to balance because variations affected the core of the character (see Sub-Zero having 2 bad variations because the core was crap to compensate for the klone) and each variation needed to get buffs when something got nerfed because everything came together.

If you have a base core and separate moves, if a move is problematic you can individually address it, making everything simpler (if you destroyed the klone in MKX, you destroyed Grand Master as a whole, if klone was a separate move, you can tone it down and players get to decide if they still want to build around it or around other options).

if klone was a separate move,
But the clone was a separate move, it was only available in one variation? So how can it not have been balanced?

If we're talking ice ball or slide, then that's different, they're common across all of them. You buff the slide and it may totally throw out the other variations even though you're trying to fix unbreakable. But i don't see how clone, being a move only in one variation, was unable to be balanced in MKX given it's uniqueness in the variations?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Huge problem for labbing (how do you lab against every possible custom variation for every character? Nightmare), balance, timing at tournaments (guaranteed to cause delays), etc. This would easily turn competitive play into something of a gimmick.

It’s a fun idea for exhibitions but should never be used for serious tournaments. Everyone should know what the parameters are, and be able to plan and practice around then.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
If players come in the tournaments with their variations ready, then yeah, why not? I agree with what Max said, restrictions on creativity are never fun and if you can find some great combos with a certain set of specials then I don't see the reason to put a restriction on that.

If the only thing that changes are the specials, then if you know the block strings preparing for all the specials or just coming up with a plan while you play will make the challenge even better.