What's new

Petition to let custom variation in competitive play MK11

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
No. In top of that if its a toruney and with fresh consoles, who is gonna grind on all of those consoles to unlock all that gear? Lol
You don't need to unlock anything. Those moves are unlocked from the start and they are not tied to Gear, as they are already available for at least one Variation each in competitive mode.

SLy

Noob
@NothingPersonal Im more curious to knowing how would you react if you put 100 of your hardworking dollars in a money match against a customized Geras and you have no idea of what his setup may be?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
What a naive thing to think. You see how mkx turned out right ? Or how about how broken the gear moves were ?
Inj2 gear moves were never balanced for competitive, these would be. And as I said before I think balancing single moves would be easier than variations because of the possibility to make them more or less expensive slots wise.

Remember that Ed Boon said that even if we get set variations, every custom move would find a place in one.

see Sub-Zero having 2 bad variations because the core was crap to compensate for the klone
I don't know, that b2 was pretty fucking busted if you ask me.

I feel like the majority of people here who want custom variations for a tournament have never competed in one themselves.
I did, but regardless spectators voice is important too.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Huge problem for labbing (how do you lab against every possible custom variation for every character? Nightmare), balance, timing at tournaments (guaranteed to cause delays), etc. This would easily turn competitive play into something of a gimmick.

It’s a fun idea for exhibitions but should never be used for serious tournaments. Everyone should know what the parameters are, and be able to plan and practice around then.
I agree here more than the previous points. Exactly my worries, it might just be too much.
But then I'd hate to think what if Jade's projectile immunity is a gear move not a standard move.
I'd never play competitive lol

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
There's like 3-ish months before the games released and they're obviously not going to be working all the way through. If they hadn't balanced all the special moves to be able to be used in combination with each other by now, you're naively optimistic that they're going to be able to do it because TYM has opened their hearts now, especially given their track record.

And really the big reason is time. If they don't have a intuitive UI to be able to do it at character select the idea is already dead.

If by some miracle the game releases and custom variations turns out to be the best meta than sure if the players who actually show up to play want to use it go for it.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
@NothingPersonal Im more curious to knowing how would you react if you put 100 of your hardworking dollars in a money match against a customized Geras and you have no idea of what his setup may be?
I wouldn't, but I'd have the same advantage though :) In Injustice you can see the selected augments on the loading screen. They could do the same for MK11.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I've lost all faith in online petitions after I signed that petition to have Sega create Virtua Fighter 6, and it still hasn't happened. Yet.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
No. In top of that if its a toruney and with fresh consoles, who is gonna grind on all of those consoles to unlock all that gear? Lol
All of the moves are unlocked from the start. Gear is completely separate. This was stated in an interview.

Xelz

Go over there!
Allowing custom variations in tournaments would be awesome in a utopia where balancing this is possible. But balance is crucial to the health of the game, and even a single completely broken and nigh unbeatable ability set would wreck MK11's launch momentum. IIRC, there was a Raiden variation in the early days of MKX that gave Quan Chi zero options to stop corner pressure other than a combo breaker. Raiden just needed to get Quan to a corner and then it was game over through block chip damage.

It’s hard enough for NRS, or any developer for that matter, to avoid those sorts of broken matchups if they need to check that every character has a variation that doesn’t automatically lose to any other variation available to any other character. Allowing custom abilities means they would have to confirm no auto-lose conditions against thousands of possibilities per character.

And even if NRS successfully prevents auto-lose/win conditions, the possibility that matchups are lopsided increases, as does the severity of that lopsided-ness. At which the point counterpicks could far outweigh player skill, and then the game turns into counter-picking poker. And I don’t want to watch poker tournaments. I want to watch matches where I don’t know which player/character will win because the balance is tight enough that counterpicks don’t create a foregone conclusion.

Dabluprint4

eh....
No competitive player is signing this.. It's not a good idea balance wise. However... It could work if there's a way in the character select screen to pick your moves.. for instance.. you highlight the character.. press Y or something and pick from the available list of moves. It's def not a necessity... but it would be a cool concept.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
So people on stage would always have to create a variation before they start playing? I mean even in pools? That would take ages despite the fact that this wouldnt work when it comes to balancing.

I think preset variations are great and should be used in tournaments. I mean we don't know how many moves are gonna be there for each character so it is actually hard to say whether that would be a good idea, but I am totally not a fan at all.

EDIT: oh yea I think noone wants to have an offensive, defensive, zoning, rushdown, trap variation.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Balancing whole combinations is harder, this way if a move is too problematic you nerf it to the ground without affecting anything else (or make it 1 extra slot if a combo of moves is too strong so you can't combine them). With full variations you need to take and give in order to balance them without destroying the whole thing, so it's way harder.

You’re suggesting that every time they find two or more moves that together, are overpowred, they should nerf one to make it competitively balanced.

That would make that move shittier for people who actually like to use it in a balanced set up and ruin multiple potential other custom movesets people like.

“Man I’ve been playing this variation I made built around Scorpion teleport combos for weeks now, I’m doing great in locals. Oh, they’re planning on completely neutering teleport because someone found an exploit where you could abuse it freely if you do a different variation move before it? Guess i’ll go fuck myself then”.

Balancing is almost always more than just moving numbers around, it not an easy task you can just brute force on a whim. Some things can be quickly hot fixed but most problems are nuanced.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
IF there is a UI fix, it wouldn't be bad. Maybe nobody here has played a versus game in tournament. But take UMVC3. You chose 3 characters and which assist for each character all at character select. But the world didn't have to come to a stop for that. You're being a little exaggerative in regards to how long it'd take to select 1-3 moves out of a list of 6-8.

Lokheit

Noob
You’re suggesting that every time they find two or more moves that together, are overpowred, they should nerf one to make it competitively balanced.

That would make that move shittier for people who actually like to use it in a balanced set up and ruin multiple potential other custom movesets people like.

“Man I’ve been playing this variation I made built around Scorpion teleport combos for weeks now, I’m doing great in locals. Oh, they’re planning on completely neutering teleport because someone found an exploit where you could abuse it freely if you do a different variation move before it? Guess i’ll go fuck myself then”.

Balancing is almost always more than just moving numbers around, it not an easy task you can just brute force on a whim. Some things can be quickly hot fixed but most problems are nuanced.
Not exactly, I'm saying you can go to the root of the problem (in this case this synergy) and balance it by either toning some properties or making the move that defines the synergy cost more. What you're saying is different as you imply that you think the affected move would be the one that overal works fine when really only the synergy needs to be adressed.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Not exactly, I'm saying you can go to the root of the problem (in this case this synergy) and balance it by either toning some properties or making the move that defines the synergy cost more. What you're saying is different as you imply that you think the affected move would be the one that overal works fine when really only the synergy needs to be adressed.
If you make that move cost more, people with certain setups that use it and are balanced can no longer use it.

The point still stands that no matter how you tweak it, it will ripple down to things that weren’t problems in the first place.