What's new

Petition to let custom variation in competitive play MK11

Lokheit

Noob
If you make that move cost more, people with certain setups that use it and are balanced can no longer use it.

The point still stands that no matter how you tweak it, it will ripple down to things that weren’t problems in the first place.
You can put some work into balancing it, for example if you find a frame advantage number or a launch distance that makes other synergies possible but kills that one you can do that. Or you can debuff some frame data but compensate buffing other part (increase startup but decrease disadvantage on block for example) so the move is still good.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Custom variations in competitive play will never happen. Lets not do this.
If that's the case, that's fine too. As long as as much time goes into the presets as did variations in mkx. But you gotta admit they should have just avoided the injustice 2 gear moves altogether if this was going to the case. Most of us wouldn't have batted an eye at variations returning.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
You can put some work into balancing it, for example if you find a frame advantage number or a launch distance that makes other synergies possible but kills that one you can do that. Or you can debuff some frame data but compensate buffing other part (increase startup but decrease disadvantage on block for example) so the move is still good.
Okay now imagine having to do that, across a cast of +26 characters with a ton of potential moves and combinations each

That is entirely too much work, it would take maybe he games entire lifespan.

I keep saying it and i’ll it again. They have a hard enough time balancing set movesets, having to deal with a mix and match bag full of all kinds of potential exploits and broken situations is not feasible for this game’s lifespan.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
This is the core of fighting games, what are you talking about? :DOGE @ForeverKing educate this man.
There is a difference between picking a character with options to counter an opponent.

And picking a character you the player specificially designed to have every possible answer to what your opponent could possibly do and no deficiencies.

That would result in whoever loses just picking the ultimate answer variation every time and it would go back and forth with no skill based deviation

Lokheit

Noob
There is a difference between picking a character with options to counter an opponent.

And picking a character you the player specificially designed to have every possible answer to what your opponent could possibly do and no deficiencies.

That would result in whoever loses just picking the ultimate answer variation every time and it would go back and forth with no skill based deviation
Ok ok I think you're giving a lot of importance to things that aren't that big.

Let's see what Subbie can do for example:

- A toned down klone that doesn't let you pick any other options.

- Enhancing a core move (Iceball) with an effect he had as a core feature in every variation in MKX at the cost of 2 slots so you can't get a lot of diversity.

- A very slow ground freeze that needs 2 slots.

- A forward charge that replaces his Slide and the projectile dodging utility it provides.

- A couple of projectiles, one with big hitbox another with decent chip damage.

- An air projectile.

- A move to reliable cancel on block.

- An air carry that needs a bar to combo and with frozen effect damage scaling probably won't add that much damage.

Now as you can see some of them bring utility for match ups, but nothing here says "oohhh Im going to f** you over mercilessly and you can't do s** about it". It's not like these moves make you godmode or anything.

For example a combination I want to try is the ice spikes for reliable block cancels, the chip projectile and the air projectile. How does that make me too strong?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Ok ok I think you're giving a lot of importance to things that aren't that big.

Let's see what Subbie can do for example:

- A toned down klone that doesn't let you pick any other options.

- Enhancing a core move (Iceball) with an effect he had as a core feature in every variation in MKX at the cost of 2 slots so you can't get a lot of diversity.

- A very slow ground freeze that needs 2 slots.

- A forward charge that replaces his Slide and the projectile dodging utility it provides.

- A couple of projectiles, one with big hitbox another with dwcent chip damage.

- An air projectile.

- A move to reliable cancel on block.

- An air carry that needs a bar to combo and with frozen effect damage scaling probably won't add that much damage.

Now as you can see slme of them bring utility for match ups, but nothing here says "oohhh Im going to f** you over mercilessly and you can't do s** about it". It's not like these moves make you godmode or anything.
You’re also selecting one character from a cast of +26, you have no idea who has what beyond this demo of an outdated build.

G11OST

Noob
It would be kool if like stated before the specials were selected at the character screen with a point system. But...

Having set variations instead allow for variation specific buttons and strings.

I'm neutral, one or the other, but not both.

Lokheit

Noob
You’re also selecting one character from a cast of +26, you have no idea who has what beyond this demo of an outdated build.
I'm just pointing out that things can look like this already does and if a move is uberstrong then obviously that move is a problem and you tone it down. Nothing on that list screams insane synergies.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'm just pointing out that things can look like this already does and if a move is uberstrong then obviously that move is a problem and you tone it down. Nothing on that list screams insane synergies.
That list isn’t indicative of the potential of the entire cast, is what I’m pointing out.

I just don’t think it’s possible, man.

If they did it, I wouldn’t complain, but I think there’s literally no way NRS is at the level at which they could pull it off and not spend months if not the entire game’s life, trying to make these things balanced.

And I also don’t think it’s worth the amount of prep it would require in tournaments or the hell of watching the first months of the game where people are using every broken set up before they get around to fixing them all.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
No thanks. I would rather it be like Injustice 2 where there is a set movelist for competitive scene, or obviously in MKX where there were just 3 variations to choose from. Idk how many moves there are in this game to choose from but it could become a balancing disaster if there are too many.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?

If there's broken shit with custom vars, we can alaways go back to presets. Don't worry about it. The issue here is to have access to custom, not make it standard.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
They need to just pick a direction. Adding custom move setups and then going with what are basically poorly named variations just comes across, to me at least, as wishy-washy.

Isn't one of the Subzero presets called Chill AF? Lol we ready for the Chill AF mains?
:DOGE

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
That's exactly the issue. NRS are thinking of restricting custom variations for competitive play. And I think it's wrong. That's the point of the petition.
You mean in ranked mode online? In competitive tournaments the event organizers get to dictate that, he can’t lock the options of a tournament holder’s personal copy of the game lmao.

NothingPersonal

T
They need to just pick a direction. Adding custom move setups and then going with what are basically poorly named variations just comes across, to me at least, as wishy-washy.

Isn't one of the Subzero presets called Chill AF? Lol we ready for the Chill AF mains?
:DOGE
Those were cutom names, you can customize even the name of the variation.

NothingPersonal

You mean in ranked mode online? In competitive tournaments the event organizers get to dictate that, he can’t lock the options of a tournament holder’s personal copy of the game lmao.
I presume ranked as well. But the idea is that they want to make it impossible to play custom vars in competitive settimgs. Not sure how, but that's what Maximilian said the devs told him. Also I think 16bit said sonething along these line during the reveal.