What's new

Official UMK3:TE Changelog and Discussion Thread

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
OK, so here's a question for el hackerino...
I notice certain stages... Subway, Bank/Kave, Street, and Rooftop, and maybe even the Temple (church, whatever) cut the musical "intros" in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Are those separate tracks in the ROMs, or does the game just know to skip to a certain part of the music in round 2/3?
I was looking through the source code and found this:
Code:
BYTE round_1_tunes[]=
{
   TRK_SUBWAY,         // 0 -
   TRK_STREET,         // 1 -
   TRK_BANK,         // 2 -
   TRK_ROOF,         // 3 -
   TRK_PIT,         // 4 -
   TRK_BRIDGE,         // 5 -
   TRK_SOUL,         // 6 -
   TRK_ROOF,         // 7 -
   TRK_CHURCH,         // 8 -
   TRK_GRAVE,         // 9 -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
};

BYTE round_23_tunes[]=
{
   TRK_SUBWAY,         // 0 -
   TRK_STREET,         // 1 -
   TRK_BANK,         // 2 -
   TRK_ROOF,         // 3 -
   TRK_PIT,         // 4 -
   TRK_BRIDGE,         // 5 -
   TRK_SOUL,         // 6 -
   TRK_ROOF,         // 7 -
   TRK_CHURCH,         // 8 -
   TRK_GRAVE,         // 9 -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
   TRK_PIT,         // A -
};
So yeah, it's got different tracks or at least starting points depending on the round.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Update on version 35 which will be released once a couple of things are ironed out.
  • Changed P1/P2 Half Power Kombat Kodes from 033000 and 000033 to 303000 and 000303 respectively to prevent accidental use for the other player not putting in their side of certain Kombat Kodes.
  • Added new Kombat Kodes:
    • 100001 BOSS LIFEBARS - All damage done to both players is reduced. The damage reduction is the same as against Motaro, Shao Kahn, or vanilla Noob Saibot.
      • NOTE: Replaces 122221 - "SKUNKY!! - E.F."
    • 101000 P2 BOSS LIFEBAR - All damage done to P2 is reduced. The damage reduction is the same as against Motaro, Shao Kahn, or vanilla Noob Saibot.
      • NOTE: Replaces 550550 - "GO SEE MORTAL KOMBAT THE LIVE TOUR!"
    • 000101 P1 BOSS LIFEBAR - All damage done to P1 is reduced. The damage reduction is the same as against Motaro, Shao Kahn, or vanilla Noob Saibot.
      • NOTE: Replaces 717313 - "RAIN CAN BE FOUND AT THE GRAVEYARD"
    • 411411 RANDPER KOMBAT II - Randper, Throwing Encouraged, Boss Lifebars
      • NOTE: Replaces 460460 - Randper Kombat (redundant version)

When i'm playing UMK3 TE on MAME32++ .119 the block button releases automatically.
So when i'm holding down the block button it goes: block, release, block,release...
This doesn't happen in vanilla or Juggernaut hack, any idea why?

GetSpookd

#1 Enemy : Rust.
When i'm playing UMK3 TE on MAME32++ .119 the block button releases automatically.
So when i'm holding down the block button it goes: block, release, block,release...
This doesn't happen in vanilla or Juggernaut hack, any idea why?
I'd think you've checked it, but I'd say you have binded something else that cancels the block on the same button.

So a couple things I was thinking about!

They're not really important, just wondering since I know the hacker has a very intimate knowledge of the source code.
How does the system handle the announcer, and announcing characters names, and then when they win a round? Does it reference the character name, followed by "wins", or is for example "Smoke Wins" a separate sound file from "Smoke"?
The MK2 returning characters for MK3:Ninja Pak, or should I say UMK3 - Scorpion, Kitana, Reptile, Jade, Mileena, Ermac....
When they win a round, you hear the MK2 announcement, NOT the MK3. The "Wins" is distinctly different. EXCEPT for Mileena. She has the MK3 "wins", as does Ermac. So either they were maybe planned to be in MK3? Or the sound files were lost for Kit, Scorp, Rep, and Jade? It's just interesting why it's different.

Also, are there plans to change the CPU behavior? Like the teleporters getting some insane transport from multiple back to back teleports (@Killer Cam Whitmore has noticed this as well as me), or how they react to certain moves? This happens in UMK3 as well.
Since the CPU can't "cheat" over Sub's ice puddle because it's out for longer, you can ground ice and back up, causing the opponent to slip, throw a freeze, and get almost 50%. U-Sub's very near ice shower has the same effect - the opponent runs right into it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Mame only I think. Unless you can directly access and modify/replace the Roms referenced in the mkak source code.
It's possible to apply the hack to the Steam MKAK version. The ROMs are all put together as one in there, so just some adjustments have to be made.

nwo

Noob
I swear it was possible to run MAME on an Xbox back in the day. I think you could even put Windows on it, same with an iMac.

nwo

Noob
@Ahmad

You'd have to alter / replace some rom files and then I doubt Steam would let you play online. I could be wrong, I've never tried it.

Ahmad

Noob
@Ahmad

You'd have to alter / replace some rom files and then I doubt Steam would let you play online. I could be wrong, I've never tried it.
People play this online? I can't even play MKX online.

I know how to patch the mame rom files, it's straight forward, but not sure how to go about patching the umk3image.bin in the arcade kollection.

Ticroo

Noob
Hi, everyone. First of all I'd like to say that I think you guys are doing an incredible job with UMK3 (which has always been my favorite MK game). I have updated my UMK3 rom to revision 2. 0. 035 and my opinion is that every single change so far is spot on. Way to go and keep it up! :)
Second: I have noticed that, although he's listed with only two special moves, Freeze and Teleport Punch, Noob Saibot actually has a Slide move as well (hold back and press LP+BL+LK twice). I don't know if anyone noticed this before, so I figured I bring it up. It's a Reptile like Slide, shorter ranged than that of CSZ's.
Third: A few suggestions, mostly aesthetic. Perhaps a Reptile stance would be more suited for Classic Sub-Zero. Also, I think certain finishing moves should be altered, because they are just plain ridiculous. Personally, I would like to see friendships, babalities and animalities all removed in favor of custom fatalities which would be suggested by forum members without editing existing sprites. Just my two cents... What do you think?
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and, most of all, thank you for this incredible project. All the best! :)

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. First of all I'd like to say that I think you guys are doing an incredible job with UMK3 (which was always my favorite MK game). I have updated my UMK3 rom to revision 2. 0. 035 and my opinion is that every single change so far is spot on. Way to go and keep it up! :)
Second: I have noticed that, although he's listed with only two special moves, Freeze and Teleport Punch, Noob Saibot actually has a Slide move as well (hold back and press LP+BL+LK twice). I don't know if anyone noticed it before, so I figure I bring it up.
He has the slide from inheriting the freeze. it's activated by the LP button. if you hold back block low kick and then LP, it'll come out every time.

He also has a babality ;)

i just wonder: is it so hard to add the trilogy exclusive moves?

i mean, if you are able to add noob saibot combo, then why not scorpion's front teleport punch and sektors double missiles?

With regards to Sektor/Smoke always coming up on the left side of the opponent when the TPU is the 2nd hit in a combo, it DOES NOT happen in regular plain old MK3. Maybe a trip back to that code would do some good.
@DWednesday