What's new

Official UMK3:TE Changelog and Discussion Thread

Mgo

Noob
is possible, keep the victories counter on both sides without resetting on losses like MKT?

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Getting the original rom cannot be asked through the forum.
I was thinking of that, maybe a solution could be asking the hacker to release a patch, so we can use Lunar IPS or something like that to patch our roms, that way we avoid the roms petitions.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I was thinking of that, maybe a solution could be asking the hacker to release a patch, so we can use Lunar IPS or something like that to patch our roms, that way we avoid the roms petitions.
That seems highly likely since UMK2:TE was released as an IPS file. Also, a form of the ROMs (same data, slightly different format) is included with MKAK for PC. So the ROMs can be legally purchased. Maybe the hacker will bundle the IPS for MKAK also.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
That seems highly likely since UMK2:TE was released as an IPS file. Also, a form of the ROMs (same data, slightly different format) is included with MKAK for PC. So the ROMs can be legally purchased. Maybe the hacker will bundle the IPS for MKAK also.
Good news. Then we just have to wait for the offical release. They should time it 1 or 2 weeks prior to a big tournament, so Kombat Network could show the new hack and have players with some practice for the occassion.

Mgo

Noob
I also would like to add better prizes like "10 wins in a row" or a "perfect" when you do Flawess Victory vs the 2 characters

dubson

Noob
Side note, Shang pop up changed from LK, LK, D+LP, D+HP to HP, D+LP, D+LP, D+HP to prevent launcher hunting on rush down and make for a more fluid looking combo, his 5 hit combo remains usable during rush down.
One thing nice about the old pop up was the mix-up aspect of not knowing which combo he will go for or end with (especially in Block Strings) since it will start with a knee lift either way, starting off with HP seems like it could really affect his rushdown game in a negative way? Shang players will be much more inclined to go for his pop-up combo, as it looks like it will create some nice set-ups for him, but it could end up getting the Shang player killed more often than winning due to it being harder to land off a HP than a knee lift, and they will make going for this combo a bigger part of their game.

It almost doesn't seem worth it starting off with HP, as it doesn't seem very practical or likely to land very often… I could see his power rising significantly but Shang actually looks playable like this. Did you feel it was too much? His awkward hotbox and top tier Jump Kick make him a touchy character, but he needed a lot of help to be kompetitive. But he actually looked fair in my opinion, with the pop-up starting from a knee lift. Much more playable, IMO.

Last edited:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
One thing nice about the old pop up was the mix-up aspect of not knowing which combo he will go for or end with (especially in Block Strings) since it will start with a knee lift either way, starting off with HP seems like it could really affect his rushdown game in a negative way? Shang players will be much more inclined to go for his pop-up combo, as it looks like it will create some nice set-ups for him, but it could end up getting the Shang player killed more often than winning due to it being harder to land off a HP than a knee lift, and they will make going for this combo a bigger part of their game.

It almost doesn't seem worth it starting off with HP, as it doesn't seem very practical or likely to land very often… I could see his power rising significantly but Shang actually looks playable like this. Did you feel it was too much? His awkward hotbox and top tier Jump Kick make him a touchy character, but he needed a lot of help to be kompetitive. But he actually looked fair in my opinion, with the pop-up starting from a knee lift. Much more playable, IMO.
If his popup stayed with the knee lift startup, what reason would you have to use ANY other string ever? To maybe catch someone letting go of block on the last hit of the 5-hit? That is the only reason ever to change it up and it's a weak one. With the popup on the elbow starter, he has reasons to use both of his combos.

The hacker wants to make most combo paths worthwhile to give diversity to the game while keeping all vanilla options there so nobody goes into 3TE trying a combo and failing because the input changed. This, of course, is difficult with HSmoke, Ermac, and Jax with their knee lift combos, but you get the idea.

dubson

Noob
If his popup stayed with the knee lift startup, what reason would you have to use ANY other string ever? To maybe catch someone letting go of block on the last hit of the 5-hit? That is the only reason ever to change it up and it's a weak one. With the popup on the elbow starter, he has reasons to use both of his combos.

The hacker wants to make most combo paths worthwhile to give diversity to the game while keeping all vanilla options there so nobody goes into 3TE trying a combo and failing because the input changed. This, of course, is difficult with HSmoke, Ermac, and Jax with their knee lift combos, but you get the idea.
I do I just don't think it is worth it…

What is the point of having a new combo that isn't practical and won't ever land in a kompetitive match?

You can end Shang's old 5 hit now before the last hit and it is a great mix-up/block string. He is pretty safe afterwards creating great mix-ups, he could then end it on the 4th hit, 5th hit or have his pop-up. The better idea would be to make non kompetitive characters kompetitive. What reason would one have to do any other combo? None, and he would now be kompetitive. Plus, that is already the case now. He has no reason to do any other combo already… The new one would never get used starting with a HP so it would remain the same? Shang player will just disregard this combo and play him as he is now, and going for his low starter combo in conduction with his pushdown game. Because it isn't practical, won't connect and isn't as conducive to rushdown game as a combo starting from a knee lift (low starter potential). Same principle as Kabal, all he really does is interchange combos out of his Knee Lift. He can start out of HP, but it isn't practical…

It's borderline pointless to give him this pop-up in this form opposed to a Knee Lift…. It just doesn't do anything significant to the character kompetitively…. There is no reason to change combos "just to change them", I thought we were looking at the bigger picture. Kompetitive play. It is titled Tournament Editon? Not Casual Edition?

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The reason Shang struggles in UMK3 is because a lot of what he does is either useless, not very effective, or has way too much recovery. There's not much incentive to do his ground eruption because it's easily blockable and punishable. His morphs had poor start-up and horrendous recovery on morphing back into Shang. He also couldn't morph into R.Smoke, or H.Smoke. Now, he can morph into every character, the morph is better in the form of less recovery, and now his fireballs have less recovery and the ground eruption hits low, so you can no longer block them while standing.

These changes alone bring Shang really far up. Especially in a game that no longer has glitch jabs. Shang also still has one of the best JK's, and his hitbox is wonky so he's not easily juggled.

So with all this said, I agree with the change to make his pop-up a HP starter. He doesn't even need the pop-up based on all of his other buffs, but now he can also do some serious damage off of an auto/dial combo. It also provides combo variety where he's not necessarily always going to go for the pop-up combo, because it has its disadvantages in being a HP starter.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I do I just don't think it is worth it…

What is the point of having a new combo that isn't practical and won't ever land in a kompetitive match?

You can end Shang's old 5 hit now before the last hit and it is a great mix-up/block string. He is pretty safe afterwards creating great mix-ups, he could then end it on the 4th hit, 5th hit or have his pop-up. The better idea would be to make non kompetitive characters kompetitive. What reason would one have to do any other combo? None, and he would now be kompetitive. Same principle as Kabal, all he really does is interchange combos out of his Knee Lift. He can start out of HP, but it isn't practical…

It's borderline pointless to give him this pop-up in this form opposed to a Knee Lift…. It just doesn't do anything significant to the character kompetitively…. There is no reason to change combos "just to change them", I thought we were looking at the bigger picture. Kompetitive play. It is titled Tournament Editon? Not Casual Edition?
Yes, tournament edition... not braindead one-move per character rushdown edition.

Elbows still hit people crouch blocking and if you read they will try to punish you for trying one, then a knee lift will hit them. This is the correct way to do things. Shang's popup is a very good option to use for a punisher of an unsafe move or from a jump starter and grants him close to 50% midscreen which he did not have before.

Kabal has uses for his elbow starter now with the saw disable. To effectively use the saw in juggles, you have to use the elbow launcher to keep the hit count low. Now there is variety in his combos instead of the same old combo 100x in a row.

... and what @Juggs said in the previous post exactly.

dubson

Noob
The reason Shang struggles in UMK3 is because a lot of what he does is either useless, not very effective, or has way too much recovery. There's not much incentive to do his ground eruption because it's easily blockable and punishable. His morphs had poor start-up and horrendous recovery on morphing back into Shang. He also couldn't morph into R.Smoke, or H.Smoke. Now, he can morph into every character, the morph is better in the form of less recovery, and now his fireballs have less recovery and the ground eruption hits low, so you can no longer block them while standing.

These changes alone bring Shang really far up. Especially in a game that no longer has glitch jabs. Shang also still has one of the best JK's, and his hitbox is wonky so he's not easily juggled.

So with all this said, I agree with the change to make his pop-up a HP starter. He doesn't even need the pop-up based on all of his other buffs, but now he can also do some serious damage off of an auto/dial combo. It also provides combo variety where he's not necessarily always going to go for the pop-up combo, because it has its disadvantages in being a HP starter.
I disagree. The buffs to his morphs and projectiles are not as substantial as you claim… They do not bring him up that much.

The fact is when Shang morphs, he isn't Shang anymore. This is discussion to Shang Tsung as a character in himself.

The point is it is pointless to give him the combo in HP starter. Shang will remain mostly around the same if this is it. Changing his pop-up to a knee lift would be much more substantial to his kompetitiveness and simply fair, IMO.

dubson

Noob
Yes, tournament edition... not braindead one-move per character rushdown edition.

Elbows still hit people crouch blocking and if you read they will try to punish you for trying one, then a knee lift will hit them. This is the correct way to do things. Shang's popup is a very good option to use for a punisher of an unsafe move or from a jump starter and grants him close to 50% midscreen which he did not have before.

Kabal has uses for his elbow starter now with the saw disable. To effectively use the saw in juggles, you have to use the elbow launcher to keep the hit count low. Now there is variety in his combos instead of the same old combo 100x in a row.

... and what @Juggs said in the previous post exactly.
Your making it sound less like Tournament Edition, and more like Variety Edition…

Changes should be made with the intent on making a character better kompetitively… not just based on "variety". That is very poor.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Your making it sound less like Tournament Edition, and more like Variety Edition…

Changes should be made with the intent on making a character better kompetitively… not just based on "variety". That is very poor.
Agree to disagree.

I'll tell the hacker to give everyone Scorpion's Spear and a Knee Lift launcher for you so it's "competitive" and every character has a shot.

dubson

Noob
Agree to disagree.

I'll tell the hacker to give everyone Scorpion's Spear and a Knee Lift launcher for you so it's "competitive" and every character has a shot.
Come on dude… none said anything about a spear and idk what that even means. Like it's the best projectile in the game or something, again IDK what this even means. You could have said teleport or spin, or something.

I didn't mean to imply that if a combo doesn't start from a Knee Lift that it is pointless. It depends on the character, their options, their moves, their other combos.

Shang has very weak mobility. He has no infinites. He only has one combo….

There are no overheads in this game…. this game is very old and basic. Combos starting from a Knee Lift are obviously much more Practical to land in rushdown, mix-ups and kompetitive play.

Go ahead and look at every kompetitive character in this game near the top ranks and break down their rushdown game…. They either have an infinite, strong mobility or strong rushdown game. Shang lacks all of those.

I seriously don't even think your thinking about high level play right now. And lets calm it down, this is healthy discussion. You went way beyond the scope of my post, it was simply that giving Shang this combo starting from a HP rather than a Knee Lift is pointless and won't ever land, nor all the Shang player even ever go for it and I can tell you that right now. The combo isn't overpowered. The character isn't overpowered. It simply made him kompetitive. He is going to be bottom of the barrel with no strong or practical combos from a low starter, as is. His character design just weak and needs help.

My point is simply that he would be much better and simply fair giving it to him off of a knee lift. His pushdown game is extremely weak, and it needs to be brought up to make him kompetitive. Giving him the combo from a HP does not affect his pushdown game even remotely close to starting it off a knee.

Doing it off of a jump starter and from starting with a HP can create some rather deadly combos and set-ups in the corner… which should be very interesting….

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I disagree. The buffs to his morphs and projectiles are not as substantial as you claim… They do not bring him up that much.

The fact is when Shang morphs, he isn't Shang anymore. This is discussion to Shang Tsung as a character in himself.

The point is it is pointless to give him the combo in HP starter. Shang will remain mostly around the same if this is it. Changing his pop-up to a knee lift would be much more substantial to his kompetitiveness and simply fair, IMO.
Sure they do, he's a zoner, his zoning got a lot better. And his morphs are apart of his game, and a big weakness to his morphs is the recovery. They have less recovery, making Shang able to not be punished as easily for morphing.

It's not pointless to make the pop-up a HP starter. Of course making it a knee starter would be more substantial, but it's not necessary, he doesn't even need a pop-up to begin with. He's not really a combo character, even though he can do some nice morph combos. He's a zoning character, who now has probably the best zoning in the game.

I mean, Reptile's pop-up starts with a HP, they are very similar now. They both are good zoners, but can get damage in if they land their pop-up or their forceball/GE. The difference is, Shangs GE now hits low, so it makes his zoning that much better.

dubson

Noob
Sure they do, he's a zoner, his zoning got a lot better. And his morphs are apart of his game, and a big weakness to his morphs is the recovery. They have less recovery, making Shang able to not be punished as easily for morphing.

It's not pointless to make the pop-up a HP starter. Of course making it a knee starter would be more substantial, but it's not necessary, he doesn't even need a pop-up to begin with. He's not really a combo character, even though he can do some nice morph combos. He's a zoning character, who now has probably the best zoning in the game.

I mean, Reptile's pop-up starts with a HP, they are very similar now. They both are good zoners, but can get damage in if they land their pop-up or their forceball/GE. The difference is, Shangs GE now hits low, so it makes his zoning that much better.
I agree that he is a zoner by nature and that the changes to his projectiles and morphs help him, but not to enough in a game that isn't very strong for projectile play (mk2), and more focus on rushdown, run meter being introduced, advanced mobility and infinites.

The thing is he DOES need these combos. His Zone game will not be So Strong that it make him kompetitive in the grand scheme of things based simply off his projectiles and zone game, in my opinion. No character in UMK3 is kompetitive through having strong Zone Game despite weak rushdown game and mobility options. He NEEDS these elements to his poor rushdown and character design to make him kompetitive, as UMK3 simply demands it.

Yes, Reptile's starts with a HP, I was actually thinking the same thing. But Reptile has good mobility (elbow dash whiff), invisibility and infinites AND big damage potential off of his forecballs, so it isn't really fair to compare him to Shang. He is a much better character by design and much more kompetitive. His little 3 hit off of a knee is still an option (they will have to respect it) with Reptile too, so his rushdown and mix-up game is actually quite strong, despite being a Zoner by design. Shang has to morph into someone else to be kompetitive…

Also, the thing is, I'm not basing the combo's practicality simply off of starting from a knee lift or elbow or whatever, I am basing it off of the character and the character's options/game…..

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I agree that he is a zoner by nature and that the changes to his projectiles and morphs help him, but not to enough in a game that isn't very strong for projectile play (mk2), and more focus on rushdown and advanced mobility and infinites.
Zoning itself is a lot better in UMK3:TE because of the removal of glitch jabs. And most if not all infinites are being removed or nerfed.

The thing is he DOES need these combos. His Zone game will not be That Strong that it all make him kompetitive in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion. He NEEDS these elements to his poor pushdown and character design to make him kompetitive, as UMK3 simply demands it.
He doesn't need the pop-up to be a knee starter. And he doesn't need to be a rushdown character. The pop-up combo makes his rushdown better, but he doesn't need it, and certainly doesn't need it to be a knee starter.

Yes, Reptile's starts with a HP, I was actually thinking the same thing. But Reptile has good mobility (elbow dash whiff), invisibility and infinites and big damage potential off of his forecballs, so it isn't really fair to compare him to Shang. He is a much better character by design and much more kompetitive. His little 3 hit off of a knee is still an option (they will have to respect it) with Reptile too, so his rushdown and mix-up game is actually quite strong, despite being a Zoner by design. Shang has to morph into someone else to be kompetitive…
Shang can also get high damage off of his GE. And in vanilla UMK3, he could get an infinite off of his GE. Like I said though, all infinites are being removed or nerfed, afaik. But in UMK3:TE, Shangs GE is very comparable to Reptiles forceballs. No GJs and they hit low, that's huge. I've played against them, against REO. And your argument for Reptile's rushdown is the same argument for new Shangs rushdown. You have to respect Shangs knee starter 5 hit, but also be weary of his HP starting pop-up. Just as you have to play footsies with Reptile to hit the HP pop-up, you now have to do the same with Shang. And if Shang is ever having problems, he can just morph with little to worry about.

Shang top tier?

dubson

Noob
Zoning itself is a lot better in UMK3:TE because of the removal of glitch jabs. And most if not all infinites are being removed or nerfed.
I do agree with this. It will be interesting and welcome to see. Is Reptile's being removed? His took the most skill of all of them, it was so hard to get 3+ volleys consistently it was almost fair.

He doesn't need the pop-up to be a knee starter. And he doesn't need to be a rushdown character. The pop-up combo makes his rushdown better, but he doesn't need it, and certainly doesn't need it to be a knee starter.
We disagree here. I believe he Does need it and it Should be a low starter.

But in UMK3:TE, Shangs GE is very comparable to Reptiles forceballs. No GJs and they hit low, that's huge. I've played against them, against REO. And your argument for Reptile's rushdown is the same argument for new Shangs rushdown. You have to respect Shangs knee starter 5 hit, but also be weary of his HP starting pop-up. Just as you have to play footsies with Reptile to hit the HP pop-up, you now have to do the same with Shang.
I wouldn't compare his GE to Reptile's force balls at all, but that's just me….

The thing is when your "respecting" the low starters, your by nature respecting the mid starters. In a game with no overheads, there is basically no reason not to just crouch block all the time…. meaning combos not starting low, unless hit from a jump starter, will rarely land on a good player.

I guess we will see, this is just my opinion and I am sure I am not alone, I will ask some Shang Speciliasts their opinions as well.

Seriously though, someone should be practicing corner combos with this guy as we speak…

What is the damage on JP starter, pop-up combo (from HP), JK, Roundhouse, LK/HK. (In corner)

Is this combo possible? Im sure even more nasty possibilities are there adding in his projectiles…. could be massive damage and too much damage from starting from a HP? That alone could be the easiest, brain-dead 50%+ in the game?

Last edited:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
1) I wouldn't compare his GE to Reptile's force balls at all, but that's just me….

2)Is this combo possible? Im sure even more nasty possibilities are there adding in his projectiles…. could be massive damage and too much damage from starting from a HP? That alone could be the easiest, brain-dead 50%+ in the game?
1) Shang's single fireball alone is a get-in-for-free move and that move has been buffed in damage and spamability. I've played with it and against it, it is very comparable to Reptile. Shang's zoning is no joke.

You refer to zoning being nothing in UMK3, in some aspects you are right. Teleporting ninjas (cyborg and human) are the main reason for this. But with glitch jabs gone, you have to be more careful with your blocking and that alone opens up opportunities for zoning and letting your opponent in.

2) Shang gets 65% off of SUJK, 4-hit popup, JK, aaLP~Double Fireball, RH, run in LK ... and you can even get in another round of fireballs for more. You REALLY don't want the popup to be a knee starter. He doesn't need it.

@DWednesday uh, no

dubson

Noob
1) Shang's single fireball alone is a get-in-for-free move and that move has been buffed in damage and spamability. I've played with it and against it, it is very comparable to Reptile. Shang's zoning is no joke.

You refer to zoning being nothing in UMK3, in some aspects you are right. Teleporting ninjas (cyborg and human) are the main reason for this. But with glitch jabs gone, you have to be more careful with your blocking and that alone opens up opportunities for zoning and letting your opponent in.

2) Shang gets 65% off of SUJK, 4-hit popup, JK, aaLP~Double Fireball, RH, run in LK ... and you can even get in another round of fireballs for more. You REALLY don't want the popup to be a knee starter. He doesn't need it.

@DWednesday uh, no
1) He referred to the GE if he was referring to the fireballs that would make much more sense to me

2) He won't ever land a SUJK combo starter in a match but wow that is a lot of damage, obviously the same combo off a jp starter though still. Well I guess we will see when I can finally get my hands on it but I still love the idea of having it be a knee starter, I just love what it would do to his rushdown game.

dubson

Noob
I just wanted the record to show real quick, for people that don't know me because I'm new to this site and i stopped posting for a little bit that, if anyone, I trust @Konqrr and @Juggs judgement very much and on a level of its own. I have been good friends with these guys for a decade….. and we can discuss MK on a very high level