What's new

New DBZ Movie Teaser Trailer

gamesun

Noob
Yeah you are the movies quality has 100% gotten better as time went on, that's how production over time in the media business turns out.
It'll look just like BoG's level of Quality and I personally was thrilled with it all, the scale of the fight scene took me by surprise artistically.
All in all though you can't deny that the animation has improved and the colours are generally more full rather than... well you can see DBZ's age slightly especially in the very early episodes.
I agree that the look of the early episodes have aged but there's something about these new cartoons that just rubs me the wrong way. I feel it's the color palate tbh, there's just something about it that imo cheapens the actual drawing.

I do think the movement/animation is better than ever but idk I look at those drawing during the Cell/Buu saga and they look awesome. I would say the films also look great but the actual coloring of the series and films were the same, while these new ones have a certain gloss over them that just kinda brings it down imo.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I agree that the look of the early episodes have aged but there's something about these new cartoons that just rubs me the wrong way. I feel it's the color palate tbh, there's just something about it that imo cheapens the actual drawing.

I do think the movement/animation is better than ever but idk I look at those drawing during the Cell/Buu saga and they look awesome. I would say the films also look great but the actual coloring of the series and films were the same, while these new ones have a certain gloss over them that just kinda brings it down imo.
I guess it'll take some time to get used to the new art direction, I like it but I do agree I really like how things were throughout DBZ and it took me somewhat by surprise it looked the same in BoG yet so different too.
Either way i've warmed to it.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
" Then you get characters like Uub and you think to yourself, "Just why...why akira why."
Uub.....call me crazy, but I would have preferred a sequel spin-off series starring him and Pan a million times more than GT. Hell, something like that could have been very good if done right.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Uub.....call me crazy, but I would have preferred a sequel spin-off series starring him and Pan a million times more than GT. Hell, something like that could have been very good if done right.
I'd like to see Uub continue in the story but I don't think he's a good character to take Goku's place, I mean goku went to train with him purely because of his potential power and how he could use it to protect earth, but if you remove goku and make it about Uub i'd hate it, and if Pan was actually a main character I would hate that too.
Pan and trunks were the worst things about GT honestly their characters were fucking awful.

Faded Dreams V

I'd like to see Uub continue in the story but I don't think he's a good character to take Goku's place, I mean goku went to train with him purely because of his potential power and how he could use it to protect earth, but if you remove goku and make it about Uub i'd hate it, and if Pan was actually a main character I would hate that too.
Pan and trunks were the worst things about GT honestly their characters were fucking awful.
Oh god....GT Pan. I meant DBZ Pan.....she was cute. :3

The way I see it, GT bombed because the characters were just too powerful at that point. Completely killed the adventure feel of the blackstar dragonball saga, and everything else was a halfassed rehash of DBZ. Plus....Pan, the character redesigns, Goku being a kid, the gritty aesthetics, the shitty soundtrack in the English version (only one song plays every scene!), the subpar battles, and the irrelevance of any characters not named Goku were awful. It was just a mess.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Oh god....GT Pan. I meant DBZ Pan.....she was cute. :3

The way I see it, GT bombed because the characters were just too powerful at that point. Completely killed the adventure feel of the blackstar dragonball saga, and everything else was a halfassed rehash of DBZ. Plus....Pan, the character redesigns, Goku being a kid, the gritty aesthetics, the shitty soundtrack in the English version (only one song plays every scene!), the subpar battles, and the irrelevance of any characters not named Goku were awful. It was just a mess.
If she was still young or remained more of a cute type rather than the asshole she was in GT i'd really enjoy her.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Fun fact, Gohan was supposed to be DBZ's main character (from what I've heard). But the nerd rage was so fucking strong, Toriyama kept Goku as the lead.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Fun fact, Gohan was supposed to be DBZ's main character (from what I've heard). But the nerd rage was so fucking strong, Toriyama kept Goku as the lead.
He was supposed to be the main character after the cell saga yes, which is why they obviously built him up so much in the cell saga but then he pulled out on that idea.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
He was supposed to be the main character after the cell saga yes, which is why they obviously built him up so much in the cell saga but then he pulled out on that idea.
After the Cell saga? That makes more sense, I heard it was supposed to be straight up after Dragonball.

Faded Dreams V

More fun facts:
- If it was up to Toriyama, Android 20 would have been the main villain of the Cell saga, but his editor thought he was just an "old geezer," so he designed androids 17 and 18. However, his editor didn't like them either, so then he designed Cell. Toriyama liked Cell's second form the most, but his editor hated it, and wanted something more humanoid, so Perfect Cell finally came to be. Cell also happens to be one of Toriyama's most hated characters to draw because of all the spots he has.

- Toriyama completely forgot SSJ2 existed when making Battle of Gods, and thought SSJ3 was actually SSJ2.

- There were concepts to make SSJGod look more bulky than SSJ and have a cape, but Toriyama opted for the simple design in BoG. Goes without saying, he probably doesn't like forms above SSJ, which is why he's retconned the purpose of those higher levels, and we won't be seeing anymore crazy transformations.

- Piccolo was supposed to be the one possessed by Babidi to go Majin, but Toriyama's editors saw this as a great chance to have a rematch between Goku and Vegeta.

- Toriyama initially didn't like Vegeta, but saw it beneficial to have him around. His popularity among fans likely influenced his decision. Otherwise, Vegeta would probably remain dead.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
More fun facts:
- If it was up to Toriyama, Android 20 would have been the main villain of the Cell saga, but his editor thought he was just an "old geezer," so he designed androids 17 and 18. However, his editor didn't like them either, so then he designed Cell. Toriyama liked Cell's second form the most, but his editor hated it, and wanted something more humanoid, so Perfect Cell finally came to be. Cell also happens to be one of Toriyama's most hated characters to draw because of all the spots he has.

- Toriyama completely forgot SSJ2 existed when making Battle of Gods, and thought SSJ3 was actually SSJ2.

- There were concepts to make SSJGod look more bulky than SSJ and have a cape, but Toriyama opted for the simple design in BoG. Goes without saying, he probably doesn't like forms above SSJ, which is why he's retconned the purpose of those higher levels, and we won't be seeing anymore crazy transformations.

- Piccolo was supposed to be the one possessed by Babidi to go Majin, but Toriyama's editors saw this as a great chance to have a rematch between Goku and Vegeta.

- Toriyama initially didn't like Vegeta, but saw it beneficial to have him around. His popularity among fans likely influenced his decision. Otherwise, Vegeta would probably remain dead.
Where the fuck would the cape come from?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
More fun facts:

I love these, luckily the editor had some okay ideas, although I do like how Toriyama has retconned other forms as i think there's no need personally, SSJ is supposed to be the ultimate thing for a saiyan it was legends, then they got even more powerful and powerful and tbh there's not purpose for it except to justify how strong their enemies were.

I agree with Toriyama on this one SSJ should be the main focus of a Saiyans transformation, I'd be happy with just SSJ & God really.

Even though when Gohan ascended to SSJ2 and Goku ascended to SSJ3 they were epic moments I think now that it would be better if perhaps they focussed on allowing them to win other ways rather than just transforming to a new level.

I know fighters have their set of moves but I'd like to see a new cool technique be given to Goku, after the things he learned from King Kai he learned nothing but instant transmission, perhaps if Goku uses another Ki blast beside the Kamehahmehah one time.