What's new

Mortal Kombat: The Home Ports

Ok other then the SNES thread in General Discussion I thought it would be ok to have a thread dedicated to all home ports of MK.

I was playing MK1 Gameboy lastnight in bed with my girl. Projectile Glitch ftw. So funny that they included Goro as a playable character but not in any other version of the game. With goro you can literally put a weight on UP of the dpad, walk away from your gameboy and you'll have beaten the game. So broken the CPU can't do shit if you do nothing but goro's stomp lol. However MK2 Gameboy I don't think is bad at all considering what it is :)

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water
Possibly cant be more broken than MKD ::) MKD sets so high broke standarts, that only game with kill button can beat it

L

LorenzoTheComic

Mortal Kombat 1: SNES
Mortal Kombat II: SNES, Gameboy, Game Gear

Back on my country I used to play Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Mortal Kombat II on my SNES. On my opinion, both were the best ports, even though UMK3 has a lot of bugs.

Kaiba

Noob
The saturn version of MKII was the best. Saturn = Arcade 2.1 enhanced

I play/own most, lacking very few. I need MK1 for Sega CD and a couple of others I can't think of right off hand.

S

scheissn

I had mk1 for genesis, mk2 for gens/snes/gameboy/game gear (god damn my parents must have hated hearing "mortal kombat" after that) and I tried to get it for 32X but it never worked, umk3 for saturn hate(d) other versions, mk4 and mkt for n64. Never had PSX until PS2 was almost coming out.

32X MK2 isn't terrible either. I loved mk1 and mk2 gens simply because it was like playing a funhouse mirror mk. Home ports are complete shit, but at least you get to play with the different properties and collisions of your favorite game.

I probably would have murdered just about anyone for mame back then :)

Kaiba

Noob
MKT R-Zone FTW! :D

I REALLY need to find it so I can get some half-assed screenshots of that great port.

MK1 - Sega Genesis, Game Gear, and I once had the Tiger handheld.
MKII - Genesis, Game Gear, SNES, Saturn, 32X
MK3 - Genesis, PSX
UMK3 - Genesis
Trilogy/ MK4 - PSX
MKG - DC.

MK1 Genesis has an awesome SDTK. Darkmoon would agree.

I had (and in some cases still have)

MK - Genesis, SNES
MK2 - Genesis, SNES
MK3 - none
UMK3 - SNES
MKT - PSX, Saturn
MK4/Gold - none
MKDA - Gamecube

..and nothing newer.

And, yes, the soundtrack for MK1 Genesis rules the planet. Especially Palace Gates! I also like the fucked up, bastardized MK2 soundtrack and SFX for Genesis, especially the Armory, the Dead Pool, Raiden's teleport sound, and the sound that pops up at the Fatality sign (sounds waaaaaay sicker than the arcade and any other ports).

i played mk1 mk2 and mk3/umk on genesis , snes and amiga ports.... and for me mk1 on amiga was great! as for mk2, genesis or snes i didnt care wich one was more cool , all tho snes was more attractive beacose of that screaming raiden bastard hah. And Mk4 was cool on n64 for a short time, got boored of it quickly...

I forgot to mention:

MK3 for the SNES was a good port as well, even though it was much faster than the Arcade (Williams should have named it Mortal Kombat 3 Turbo Hyper Fighting xD)

MK1 for the Genesis, I like it too :) (blood code FTW!) but I have not played it on a real Genesis :(

MKT for the N64: eewww... I play it because it runs over the same engine of the SNES version of UMK3. It's like the same of the SNES but with more characters LOL (but awful music :S)

Greetings!

iammud

Noob
I now have every mk port for the most part (I'm missing the tiger handhelds, some of the collectors editions, and gamecube MAT port of mk2/3). I recently finished it off with the r-zone port of mk:t.

some of the worst ports are:
MK Advance for gba (I can play ANY port of mk except for this one)
MK:T for Game.com
MK:T for r-zone
mk1 Gameboy

The best ones overall imo are:
MK1 Genesis (shaolin monks arcade port, but that's MAT emulation of the arcade)
MK2 SNES (ps3 but that's just a mame port of it)
MK3 SNES (psx/saturn would be better if it wasn't for load times, MAT for arcade version)
UMK3 never really had a good port, so SNES will do (360, but again that's a direct arcade port)
MK:T I preferred on the 64, though most will likely disagree (psx if emulated and the Greatest Hits release)
MK4/G Dreamcast (n64 for regular 4, pc if you have a 3dfx graphics card, psx if you're emulating)

all the later releases were the best on the xbox, except for mkvsdc, and that only wins on ps3 because it's a more stable system.

iammud

Noob
Is this your list ded? It appears that it's based on goodrom verification. Which means it only has what's known to be dumped, not what's actually out there. Why is it missing umk3 for 360, and mk2 for ps3? R-Zone? As well, there's plenty of mk hacks for NES that should be on there. Some of them you can find on multicarts for sale too.

OMFG there's a Bleemed! for MK:T! MUST HAVE! I just snagged the iso. Does anyone know if they made an official retail version like they did for tekken3, gt2, and mgs?

ded

Elder God
i have all nes hacks (including one famicom discette!), but i dont have umk3 for 360 because my 360 is flashed and i dont wana risk to be banned. i also dont have ps3 and r-zone, neither other tiger handhelds, but i really want to see some in game footage from MKM Handheld LCD version:)

the bleemed mkt is the psx version, just emulated, it runs slow and has alot of sound glitches on real dc