What's new

MKX will have 'almost' as many new characters as MK: Deception in this BGS interview

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I remember fighting her in MK SZM, was she a samurai? I thought she was just another ninja archtype.
Ninja swords "Ninjato" are generally shorted and are completely straight than Samurai swords, samurai swords are arched like Jataaka's and have about the 60cm, so nopes, no ninjas.

If you see Skarlet in MK9, she uses twins Fuuma Kodachi swords which are even more smaller than Wakizachi swords and are somewhat straights.

These girls are demon archtype, they set themselves apart from the Kunoichi(female ninja) archtype (skarlet, Frost) , the Edenian warriors (Jade, Kitana, Mileena, Tanya, Sindel), as well as from the mixed archtype (Sonya, Li Mei, Nitara, Ashrah) though ashrah is a demon herself, her fighting style and dress style is totally different from those 3.

In my opinion, the ideal MK cast is:
- Everyone appeared in MK9 except Stryker, Sheeva, and CSZ. Also Kung Lao... I wish he never existed
- MK Mythologies characters: Fujin, Shinnok and @Eddy Wang 's favorite trio
- A few diverse ones from the wacky era like Bo Rai Cho. I actually can't think any other since Kenshi and Quan belong in MK9's cast.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
It's VERY hard to make that many new characters and actually have them be cool. Think about how many new characters there were in the 3D game era that were actually interesting. Most of them were dogshit, in my opinion.

Not counting MK4, all the new characters from the 3D era aside from Kenshi are really shitty. Bo Rai Cho was pretty unique, so I'd add him as another exception.

I'm loving how NRS is re-working all these beloved returning characters. It's incredible to see. If the only new characters in the game were the ones we've already seen, I wouldn't mind at all. All of them are awesome.

I'm in the majority who think Havik and Hotaru were both really cool design-wise and background-wise.

They also have a rivalry that isn't completely stupid and they both have actual plot significance.

They are oozing potential, and I hope NRS realizes that. The cleric of chaos and the agent of order are worth a return.

P.S. They also had some of the best fatalities from the 3D era:

Last edited:

MCPeePants

Bout it
Completely in agreement. Havik = entropy. Hotaru = enthalpy. Loosely of course... but shit, it makes sense. With how wonderfully the team has envisioned chars so far, I really hope these two are in the mix.

Hav, Hot, and Bo.

Gimme Dem

IROC

WP IROC
This is good news. The hell with new characters. i was one of those guys hoping for more of a reskinned mk9. Some new is always great. But 50/50 new/old ratio???Ewww, go find a new game. 70/30 is more than enough

Skellington

Banned
Hotaru's neck snap fatality was always one of my favorites because their neck is so fucked up at the end. I'm hoping there's something like it in MKX

SiThG0D

These eyes will deceive you.
It's great news to me, I never liked the idea of having a large number of new characters, I mean I'm fine with having some new ones but half the cast? yeah to me that's a bit overkill, there are so many old characters I want to return still so hopefully they add only a few more new ones and the let the rest be classics.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
my man Kobra tho.

Just give me a boxing character that's cooler than TJ "MMA" Combo...that's my personal preference.

These MK9 fanatics need to chill and let the MK generation evolve.

New characters doesn't mean the end of old ones. Nothing wrong with expanding a roster, it worked great for SF, Marvel, Tekken and etc. Maybe this time MK can be more creative and not give us the rainbow of ninjas for both genders or some pointless mutant/immortal being. Only ninja I'm interested is Tremor, because his strength style intrigues what NRS can do with the whole grappling game. I really enjoyed playing with Grundy, Shazam and Ban. They've done a good job so far IMO with the new characters shown in MKX.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Fun observation:
There are two meanings for "new characters" that are used ITT:

1) Ones from MK4 onwards, up to and not including MK9;
2) Ones that are going to be introduced in MK10.

First one has more adepts it seems :p