What's new

MKX @ Brasil Game Show (October 8th - 12th) - Ed Boon is coming! WOOT

Hello guys, I'm from Brazil and I was at the show.

http://www.ps3brasil.com/noticia/39191/

I've played A LOT with Sub-Zero and Scorpion. You can ask me anything, I'll try to update you as soon as I can.

My impressions are in the link above - it's in portuguese. The Google Translator is not so bad: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.ps3brasil.com/noticia/39191/&act=url

Summary:

- Dashes are useless, because they have so many delays and leave you open
- I asked Boon about Raiden's two X-Ray (one in the trailer and another one in the demo). He told me that the team changed their minds and decided to use the new one. The other one is NOT going to be in the game.
- Moves from variations does NOT have EX versions (like Sub-Zero clone statue)
- Every char has about 2-3 moves that are present in the three variations. In the most cases, the moves that change in the variations have the same input (ice clone is the same input for frost hammer and so on).

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
- Moves from variations does NOT have EX versions (like Sub-Zero clone statue)
We have seen EX frost hammer multiple times in different videos.

I remember seeing EX on some obviously variation specific moves in some character trailers as well. The most recent one I can think of is Quan Chi using an EX portal move in his Warlock variation in his trailer.

We have seen EX frost hammer multiple times in different videos.
At least in the demo, it's not possible to use EX versions for them. I couldn't use the Ice Clone for example, and I've tried to use the Ice Ball just to be sure and the EX version of it came naturally.

It's possible that is ONLY IN THE DEMO this, please have this in mind.

The three bars also bugged in one moment. My friend was using Ferra and he could use the EX version of the "run" countless times in a row.

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
Ok guys, I've got all the questions listed here. Tomorrow is the big day for me. lol

One thing, though:
Some of you asked things like "Is Sektor in?" and stuff. I'm not even sure if I'll get the chance to talk to Boon, let alone ask these kind of questions, which he almost certainly won't answer. I'll try my best anyways.

Also, @Soul Zonik good to know you were there! We need all the info we can get! :)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Ok guys, I've got all the questions listed here. Tomorrow is the big day for me. lol

One thing, though:
Some of you asked things like "Is Sektor in?" and stuff. I'm not even sure if I'll get the chance to talk to Boon, let alone ask these kind of questions, which he almost certainly won't answer. I'll try my best anyways.

Also, @Soul Zonik good to know you were there! We need all the info we can get! :)
We have never seen D'Vorah's venomous variation and we know next to nothing about it, when you use her it'd be appreciated if that was your selection.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Please test "Standing 1's" (jabs) as anti-air's ....
I think it was already reported that standing normals work as AA. For one, Quan's standing 2 was referred as "as good at anti-airing as Smoke's 2, perhaps even better". It was pointed out that it's a bit tricky to convert off it for big damage, but there are easier and less damaging options as well.
It was reported by a visitor of Moscow expo I think.

At least in the demo, it's not possible to use EX versions for them. I couldn't use the Ice Clone for example, and I've tried to use the Ice Ball just to be sure and the EX version of it came naturally.

It's possible that is ONLY IN THE DEMO this, please have this in mind.

The three bars also bugged in one moment. My friend was using Ferra and he could use the EX version of the "run" countless times in a row.
It's also possible that it's on a case-by-case basis, just like IGAU specials were though...

@Pterodactyl my friend played D'Vorah once (sorry). She has in one variation very few moves (I don't remember which one, sorry again). But we're kind of disappointed when we saw the command list. My wish was to take photos of all command list, but we couldn't use nothing when playing the game. In the next days, the event is going to be public and I doubt that the organizers will be able to stop any recording (wednesday was only for the press), so expect more things from now on. However, I'm not going to be there again.

@Barrogh it's possible. At least in the Grandmaster variation, Sub-Zero couldn't use any EX variation (the clone toss also doesn't have EX). Also - Scorpion with the Minion (Inferno variation) also doesn't have EX moves - just the Spear and Teleport. The Cryomancer is the same case (the def boost and the counter don't have EX). However, as Pterodactyl pointed out, the Hammers have - but I didn't try it to confirm. I just realized very close to the end to test the EX versions of all moves.

trufenix

bye felicia
The fact that D'Vorah's blood is red and she has human bones and muscles bothers me.

Especially given the extra work they put in MK9 for Reptile, Noob, and the Cyborg's internal models.
Boon reported her as part human. Its possible (as the queen) she's the only humanoid of her kind, since all the bugs she summons and controls are tiny insects.

huh

Noob
There is no part of the dash that is block cancellable or will not trigger a run if block is pressed. None. If you dash, consider yourself completely unsafe. You can however cancel dash into run into special or a string if you have the stamina.
Hey trufenix, I think you misunderstood me. I know that the dashes are not block cancellable anymore.

My doubt is actually hard to put in words. Maybe this way it will be clearer:

I want to know what happens when:

1) You dash, HOLD f, and press R2
(a) run
(b) don't run (dash instead, and after the the whole dash, block, since you'll be pressing R2)

2) You dash, RELEASE f, and press R2
(a) run
(b) don't run (dash instead, and after the the whole dash, block, since you'll be pressing R2)

There are some implications there, depending on the answers.

Yes, you cannot block cancel the dash, but if you want to dash, knowing the whole dash is coming out and immediately after it block? Not cancel the dash, but block AFTER the dash. Depending on the mechanics, you would have to time your R2 to the frame to block, and not run. And, again, depending on the mechanics, you could be able to press R2 before the dash ends, having a little more room to input the command, and be blocking when the dash ends.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Hey trufenix, I think you misunderstood me. I know that the dashes are not block cancellable anymore.

My doubt is actually hard to put in words. Maybe this way it will be clearer:

I want to know what happens when:

1) You dash, HOLD f, and press R2
(a) run

2) You dash, RELEASE f, and press R2
(a) run

There are some implications there, depending on the answers.

Yes, you cannot block cancel the dash, but if you want to dash, knowing the whole dash is coming out and immediately after it block? Not cancel the dash, but block AFTER the dash. Depending on the mechanics, you would have to time your R2 to the frame to block, and not run. And, again, depending on the mechanics, you could be able to press R2 before the dash ends, having a little more room to input the command, and be blocking when the dash ends.
Thank you for explaining my exact question!

Reactions: huh

trufenix

bye felicia
Short version, the answer is the same. Long Version, here are some quotes that say it bebtter than I can;

Casselman said:
-Running is done by dashing and holding block before the end of the dash. You don't need to hold forward. Once you have initiated block, the entire run relies on nothing but the block button.
Kombat Tether said:
Runs can be cancelled into back-dashes, forward-dashes, special moves and normal attacks. They can be cancelled also by blocking, but it is not in any way similar to dash cancels in MK9.
Loogie said:
- running was giving me some trouble at first, so everytime I dash blocked I would get a run because dash cannot be cancelled and if you block while in the dash you go into run and next thing you know you are smack in the opp face. not sure about recovery from run, something to be explored further

Last edited: