What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

Yea I don't understand that,if you're going for digital distrubtion for their games instead of hard copies,then the system itself.Should be at a lower price...right??
No the games should be at a lower price, since they are saving so much money on production. Over!

AK-Israel

I'm Back
I don't know if I would buy a system that would cost me $500 - $600 even if the games were at a lower.What are ya'll guys input on this???

Remember when we all thought the 3DS was going to be a complete failure and the Vita was going to completely stomp it into the ground? I remember people predicting the Sega Genesis was going to completely crush the Super NES. I remember people saying Playstation 2 was going to be a flop because of the bullshit that happened during its launch. People thought the Virtual Boy was going to be AMAZING before its release. People jizzed in their pants when they saw the 3DO for the first time. People thought the Game Boy was going to be a failure because of its murky, "boiled spinach" display. People thought a first person shooter Metroid game was the worst idea possible and a betrayal of the franchise's roots when Prime was announced. We all thought Mass Effect 3 was going to be the greatest triumph in the history of gaming.

Writing off the Xbox One this early in the game isn't even possible yet. If anything, all this bad press could end up forcing Microsoft to include more enticing things for the console that gamers will find difficult to resist. You may end up actually owning an Xbox One and loving it.

"We'll see," said the Zen Master.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Remember when we all thought the 3DS was going to be a complete failure and the Vita was going to completely stomp it into the ground? I remember people predicting the Sega Genesis was going to completely crush the Super NES. I remember people saying Playstation 2 was going to be a flop because of the bullshit that happened during its launch. People thought the Virtual Boy was going to be AMAZING before its release. People jizzed in their pants when they saw the 3DO for the first time. People thought the Game Boy was going to be a failure because of its murky, "boiled spinach" display. People thought a first person shooter Metroid game was the worst idea possible and a betrayal of the franchise's roots when Prime was announced. We all thought Mass Effect 3 was going to be the greatest triumph in the history of gaming.

Writing off the Xbox One this early in the game isn't even possible yet. If anything, all this bad press could end up forcing Microsoft to include more enticing things for the console that gamers will find difficult to resist. You may end up actually owning an Xbox One and loving it.

Maybe yes, maybe not.
Truth is, Xbone will not work well in Africa, that console is not will not even work here at launch, and even if its get supported, Internet max speed in Angola (and some countries in Africa) is 2Mbps MAX, and this 2Mbps cost more than 499$ per month, the console being digital hurt us because weren't no any way near the "Future of digital gamming" , downloading games will be a pain in the ass, playing online is already a pain in the ass. Sometimes we get without interned for DAYS, 24h mandatory check will definitely kill every Xbone in the country once this happens.

Summing up, Africa getting a Xbone is a waste of money, definitely will turn into a brick, the only think that need to happen is the internet getting down, which eventually it will, and this shit will happen. And M$ doesn't even care, i had a Xbox 360 once, and my country wasn't even on the Xbone to be registed, well, seems to me that, with this new next gen, it won't be any different.

ZedZeus

WoolayWarrior
There is no electronic device in the world that works ONLY with an activated internet connection. Devices like smart-phones, ipads, laptops, PCs etc., can all be used without an internet connection. As I've have said earlier - the day we have high speed internet across the whole world, the XB 1 is a brilliant idea. Just until one day before that day comes, XB 1 is a giant useless brick.

aj1701

Noob
I think we're using different senses of the word 'wrong'. I wouldn't say there's any *moral* wrong in resales, but it's destructive and shortsighted..
Please show evidence that its destructive. I've given a real example how a used game actually helped; I somehow doubt I'm an anomaly, although I couldn't tell you how often similar situations happen, I'm certain they do.

Also, essentially no developer agrees with you that it helps sales... and I'd imagine they'd know.
LOL, they don't. It's a simple economics problem, which is that we really don't understand people's decisions not to buy something. At best they have educated guesses, but that's about it. If the only way to buy a game is "new" there are going to be people that simply stop gaming (I'm ignoring the casual market, as its likely a large number never were willing to pay for a computer / console for gaming + the $60 of new games). Some that would buy the game would wait for the price to drop anyway, so yes the company would then get paid for that copy, but nowhere near the amount as when the game is $60.

Actually that's one of my problems with not having a used market; what is the incentive for the developers to ever lower the price if there's no used market?

These companies have MASSIVE amounts of information at their fingertips that we don't see, all kinds of data collection and analytics. They know what games sell, and they probably have a fair idea of how many people playing are resales (from comparing unique IDs to sales, etc). And again, business. If resales helped them they'd be all over it, but in fact at Trade shows they actively make fun of the position you're taking and go out of their way to mock Gamestop specifically (bitter mockery, I'd add).
Like I said, they don't really know. All they know is someone bought their game used and it pisses them off they didn't get what they believe they are entitled to. Its the same as the tv / movie people that hate that you and your friends can rent one copy of a movie and it will be seen by say eight people.

Content companies have done this before; they said the VCR would destroy TV / movies, but how did that turn out?

They have nothing to lose either way, except sales... so why are they so adamantly against something you claim actually helps them?
They need something that's not their fault to blame if they are losing sales. Remember we're talking about AAA games here, not the industry as a whole. If the devs can blame used games, they become a victim and their stockholders won't hold them accountable for it. But if they're losing sales to causal games (people's time is limited; time I spend playing angry birds is time I can't play the newest $60 AAA title), or simply making bad games, well that is something that they can control / adapt to, but it means they need to change, and some people are very resistant to change.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam

Microsoft need to change to win us over. They need to change.

They have no chance with the competition being superior in nearly all possible ways.

They will have to lower price, alter DRM policy and the internet always online as well as finding some way to entice indies and developers.

And even then, they'd have an uphill battle due to the way they pissed people off. And finally, they can count out the entire asian market, the entire african and middle eastern market, most of the south american market and the eastern europe market.

aj1701

Noob
They are adapting. I'm not so sure you're going to like the results.
I have a feeling some studios will end up liking the results less than the consumers. Its pretty clear consumers will not tolerate draconian DRM. Several companies learned this the hard way already. The music industry failed to adapt to the digital age initially, and it was really expensive for them.

If push comes to shove, all games will be registered to your account, but you'll be free to sell or trade the worthless physical media. More likely, all games will be delivered digitally and you won't have the option to trade your license. One way or another, the used game market will be dead within 10 years.
Maybe. As it stands now, what's my incentive to buy digital over retail copy? People aren't stupid, they are rightfully asking in this new model MS is trying "what's in it for me?" Please explain exactly how the more restrictive model is going to benefit me? Quite frankly, without a used market I expect prices of games to rise and to not go down over time.

The used game market may in fact be gone in a few years; but so might a lot of game studios. But I image that would be true even without a used market; if you don't think free / cheap casual games can cut into bigger game sales, your mistaken. The main problem the game industry has is that it's a luxury, something that can be cut. Angry Birds might not be as fun as BioShock, but to some people it's not worth the $59 - 60 difference. I personally don't really care for casual games, so if the games I do like become more of a PITA then I'll likely just go back to not playing games or playing the ones I already have.

JaredL

All of you xbone supports can't seem to answer the question. How does digital only (with the same price tag) benefit me the consumer more than a retail copy currently?

Its the FUTURE!
Flexible!
Family Plan!

/major nelson

All of you xbone supports can't seem to answer the question. How does digital only (with the same price tag) benefit me the consumer more than a retail copy currently?
This question has been answered half to death already. It's so damn tiring having to list the positive advances, over and over and over and over and over again. The most prevalent answer is this: all the $ goes towards the content providers (developers and distributers) who will create better games with more budget and incentive.

JaredL

This question has been answered half to death already. It's so damn tiring having to list the positive advances, over and over and over and over and over again. The most prevalent answer is this: all the $ goes towards the content providers (developers and distributers) who will create better games with more budget and incentive.

lol

JaredL

Thank you for limiting your nonsense to only three letters.

You seriously believe what you wrote?

That me, giving these huge companies more money will somehow benefit me?

Tell me, will I get more content if I buy an xbox one multiplatform game over a PS4 multiplatform game?

No. So ... your point is very silly. And if you feel you have the need to support, don't buy used games. No one has a gun to your head forcing you to do it. Just don't fuck over everyone else who wants it.

You seriously believe what you wrote?

That me, giving these huge companies more money will somehow benefit me?

Tell me, will I get more content if I buy an xbox one multiplatform game over a PS4 multiplatform game?

No. So ... your point is very silly. And if you feel you have the need to support, don't buy used games. No one has a gun to your head forcing you to do it. Just don't fuck over everyone else who wants it.
Wow. Do I believe what I wrote? That money = motivation and resource?

Are you serious?

JaredL

Wow. Do I believe what I wrote? That money = motivation and resource?

Are you serious?

Are you serious about believing that letting publishers have more money means better games?

Best example is EA. They've nickel and dimed you for ages, and their games are getting worse. Meanwhile naughty dog is making great games without that shit.

Are you serious about believing that letting publishers have more money means better games?

Best example is EA. They've nickel and dimed you for ages, and their games are getting worse. Meanwhile naughty dog is making great games without that shit.
Interesting how your best example is EA, a company that has voiced the same support for your used game obsession.

Anyway, I guess your subjective opinion about EA's game quality = definitive evidence that money plays a negligible or negative role in game development.

Like you said,

Amadeous

Noob
"Xbox One will block activation of games if outside of the IP range of a supported country? What if i travel a lot? @XboxSupport" : "You'll be able to play when you return home. I travel with an Xbox 360 for road gaming."

https://twitter.com/gi4ouR/statuses/344929544492429313

:D

PR suicide lol.

All this talk of sticking with 360....better put their money where their mouth is and make 360 games until the generation after Xbone.

Glad I've been a Sony fan all my life.

JaredL

It amazes me to see this many people terrified of change and in a hysteric outrage over a system that hasn't been released.

Change is not inherently good.

Sometimes things change for the worse, you know.

And its not released yet, but we know a lot about it. Its not like we don't know their used game policy or their internet DRM policy.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Change is not inherently good.

Sometimes things change for the worse, you know.

And its not released yet, but we know a lot about it. Its not like we don't know their used game policy or their internet DRM policy.
And you won't know until it is released. If the system is a failure a year or so after release, then you and your crusade will have to be acknowledged. Until then you are insulting a video game console that has yet to be released, play, and of which we know few policies. So, give it a rest. The time you've spent in this thread trying to convert people's minds for whatever reason could have been spent doing something productive in life.

We are going to buy what we want and what is best for us. And knowing two policies doesn't mean you know a lot about the console. Two policies of which, keep in mind, allow you to trade games and share games.

JaredL

And you won't know until it is released. If the system is a failure a year or so after release, then you and your crusade will have to be acknowledged. Until then you are insulting a video game console that has yet to be released, play, and of which we know few policies. So, give it a rest. The time you've spent in this thread trying to convert people's minds for whatever reason could have been spent doing something productive in life.

We are going to buy what we want and what is best for us. And knowing two policies doesn't mean you know a lot about the console. Two policies of which, keep in mind, allow you to trade games and share games.

How do we not know about the console?

Tell me what we don't know...