What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

I want to be in love with the XB1.. I really do.. But they just keep sticking their damn foot in their mouth at every turn.. Which is why I am waiting at least a year to go next gen..
As a Microsoft fan.. Let me ask you about 2 concerns..

1) The connect online once per 24 hours or else your console can only be used for 24 hours policy... I understand the reasoning behind it.. But it is just a hard pill for me to swallow.. I keep swaying back and forth in my head over it.. My logic brings me to the conclusion...Anything that has the likelihood to knock Internet out will MORE THAN LIKELY take power with it...then my mind plays devils advocate with itself and says.. yeah but WHAT IF internet only would go down.. you cant game...part of me just wishes that this only pertains to the digital games, and disc games can still be played if Internet connection was lost.. I think this would ease over much of the tension...

2) Xbox 360 RRD (overheating issues).. A constantly on box(XB1) coming from a company whose previous system was an overheating nightmare just makes me VERRRRRRY nervous..

Your thoughts on these 2?
I thought I typed up a response to this but it must have gotten lost somewhere..

1) The connect online 'issue' has so many ways to ensure you can access the games that are rightfully yours. It's as simple as having a tangible game disk but instead having a digital gaming license, where simply the most obvious and efficient way to enforce this is an automatic online check-in that is pretty much invisible to the user. Besides, if you are constantly connected, this wouldn't really be a problem.

For me, if my 360 had been an X1 for the past decade, I would have never been restricted from my games (aside from power outages, of course). Also, it's not fair to hold the X1 to a higher standard than everything else.. we don't decide not to buy a car because we're apprehensive about things like flat tires (rendering the vehicle useless until conditions are remedied). Undesirable and unexpected situations occur, pretty much the disclaimer of life, and the X1's downside is that on extremely rare occasions, you might not be able to play video games for a brief period. It's something that you probably won't ever have to deal with, to be honest.

2) After the RRoD fiasco was addressed and situated, I don't think it's been much of a problem since. In fact, it fizzled out fairly quickly considering how much of a debacle it was. My 1st 2 boxes died within a couple years, but the current one I'm using still runs smoothly, and has been for much longer than my other 360's combined. It seems Microsoft definitely learned from their mistakes, discovering what works and what doesn't. It's much safer to say that the new console wouldn't want to repeat history.

Also, the X1 will utilize much more power digitally and through streaming, on top of improved hardware, and since it's an all-in-one device "for the future", you could bet that the developers have spent plenty of time in ensuring performance longevity.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I thought I typed up a response to this but it must have gotten lost somewhere..

1) The connect online 'issue' has so many ways to ensure you can access the games that are rightfully yours. It's as simple as having a tangible game disk but instead having a digital gaming license, where simply the most obvious and efficient way to enforce this is an automatic online check-in that is pretty much invisible to the user. Besides, if you are constantly connected, this wouldn't be a problem. For me, if my 360 had been an X1 for the past decade, I would have never been restricted from my games (aside from power outages, of course). Also, it's not fair to hold the X1 to a higher standard than everything else.. we don't decide not to buy a car because we're apprehensive about things like flat tires (rendering the vehicle useless until conditions are handled). Undesirable and unexpected situations occur, pretty much the disclaimer of life on this planet, and the X1's con is that on extremely rare occasions, you might not be able to play video games for a brief period. It's something that you probably won't ever have to deal with.

You say that the internet thing doesn't matter... if it doesn't matter why do it? Why not just... not do it? Why not allow consumers to choose between physical and digital? You can download digital games if you like, or you can play from the disc.

Its making a change, and adding restrictions, taking away choice, without any benefit for me as a consumer and simply making it impossible for those without internet to play.

You say that the internet thing doesn't matter... if it doesn't matter why do it? Why not just... not do it? Why not allow consumers to choose between physical and digital? You can download digital games if you like, or you can play from the disc.

Its making a change, and adding restrictions, taking away choice, without any benefit for me as a consumer and simply making it impossible for those without internet to play.
No, I said issues that can potentially arise from requiring an Internet connection don't really matter for people always connected. The Internet check-in is what frees Microsoft's hands to extend accessibility for the rightful owner of the game (any X1, wherever), while at the same time not allowing the accessibility to be abused into mass distribution, or piracy. DRM is simply put, the most reasonably efficient way to promote this change. If they wanted to just make an Xbox720, with nothing but updated graphics and power, THEN of course the DRM restrictions would be, as you'd say, retarded.

Yup, it's radical, alienating, and unarguably takes away choice, which people will undoubtedly protest for a couple years before ultimately getting used to the change, which they will. I'd provide a source backing up that statement, but honestly you could just check out a history textbook.

JaredL

No, I said issues that can potentially arise from requiring an Internet connection don't really matter for people always connected. The Internet check-in is what frees Microsoft's hands to extend accessibility for the rightful owner of the game (any X1, wherever), while at the same time not allowing the accessibility to be abused into mass distribution, or piracy. DRM is simply put, the most reasonably efficient way to promote this change. If they wanted to just make an Xbox720, with nothing but updated graphics and power, THEN of course the DRM restrictions would be, as you'd say, retarded.

Yup, it's radical, alienating, and unarguably takes away choice, which people will undoubtedly protest for a couple years before ultimately getting used to the change, which they will. I'd provide a source backing up that statement, but honestly you could just check out a history textbook.

Its change without benefit. I receive no benefit from it.

And the issues are very real for the military and people who take their consoles with them to rural areas or place without internet.

You receive no benefit. Okay, cool. A buddy of mine receives no benefit from milk products because he's allergic to dairy. With that being said, I don't see why they don't just scrap the market.

JaredL

You receive no benefit. Okay, cool. A buddy of mine receives no benefit from milk products because he's allergic to dairy. With that being said, I don't see why they don't just scrap the market.

That analogy is so flawed it hurts.

What do I get from being forced to connect ever 24 hours.

Spell it out clearly for me.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Wow... that was a useless analogy.

I'm making fun of you for being so self-absorbed. The analogy is perfect.

Okay here, this is what you get:
Nothing. Microsoft just wants you to suffer. And they want their sales to suffer. God knows Microsoft are a bunch of imbeciles and Mr. Gates is one lucky motherfucker for making all that money for no reason whatsoever.

JaredL

I'm making fun of you for being so self-absorbed. The analogy is perfect.

Okay here, this is what you get:
Nothing. Microsoft just wants you to suffer. And they want their sales to suffer. God knows Microsoft are a bunch of imbeciles and Mr. Gates is one lucky motherfucker for making all that money for no reason whatsoever.

If you can't think of anything, then the answer is nothing.

JaredL

Indeed, Sony don't need always online and Xbox one doesn't have any advantage over the PS4.

You put a lot of faith in microsoft and think it MUST be for a reason but... try to think of it this way, they are greedy... and there is no benefit for you.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Wow... that was a useless analogy.
I thought the analogy was pretty good. I mean essentially he/she/it is saying that just because it hurts a few individuals doesn't mean it hurts everyone. I mean I know I have no problems with the Xbox 1. Hypothetically I could purchase it and have zero problems. :)

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police

You're not the only customer Microsoft has. Content providers are also in their customer base. So what the content provider gets is more options to control their own content. What you get is never having to worry about losing a disc, scratching a disc, etc... along with hella discounted games. Have you ever played a Steam game before? Not to mention they are still talking about giving the content provider the option to allow offline play of their disc based games.

JaredL

You're not the only customer Microsoft has. Content providers are also in their customer base. So what the content provider gets is more options to control their own content. What you get is never having to worry about losing a disc, scratching a disc, etc... along with hella discounted games. Have you ever played a Steam game before? Not to mention they are still talking about giving the content provider the option to allow offline play of their disc based games.
Except they never talked about that.

And giving the content provider more benefits is true.

But I'm talking about me, the consumer. The guy who buys games.

windsagio

Unique flower
Except they never talked about that.

And giving the content provider more benefits is true.

But I'm talking about me, the consumer. The guy who buys games.

Well, to be precise, you're *one* of the guys who buys games. This is the 'straight white male' issue all over again (GDC reference ahoy!). Your feelings and opinions expand exactly to yourself, and gaming is a million times different than it was even 4 years ago.

Rather you just refuse to see it:
advantages for you, though:
1) not having to worry about losing or damaging the physical media (including the 'go back and open the case, oops it's empty!')
2) being able to fairly easily play a game at any remote location that has both a console and internet.
3) convenience of not having to worry about shipping dates and going to pick up the game.
4) the ability to come back to a game any time in the entireity of the services' life.
5) better and more varied products because developers won't have to worry about getting raped by second-hand sales.

And the issues are very real for the military and people who take their consoles with them to rural areas or place without internet.

Spare us the concern-trolling please... It's a tired gimmick.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
You gain the ability to check games out of a digital library. That's a huge benefit. If it doesn't benefit you, Jared, then that's fine. Don't support Microsoft. However, all you're doing is trying to force your opinions on others and have some sort of PS4 crusade. Which is fine, however, you don't even attempt to understand what benefit anyone would gain from an always connected system. And, as such, you fail to understand. Which is fine, that's all you.

JaredL

You gain the ability to check games out of a digital library. That's a huge benefit. If it doesn't benefit you, Jared, then that's fine. Don't support Microsoft. However, all you're doing is trying to force your opinions on others and have some sort of PS4 crusade. Which is fine, however, you don't even attempt to understand what benefit anyone would gain from an always connected system. And, as such, you fail to understand. Which is fine, that's all you.

You can go digital with the PS4... no one is forcing you though. Its about options.

JaredL

You can share a game with 10 people, check it out of their library for free and play it? This is new to me.

Yes. That's the only thing the xbox one has for it. And the only advantage it offers is distance.

If you live close to your friends you could... give them the game.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Yes. That's the only thing the xbox one has for it. And the only advantage it offers is distance.

If you live close to your friends you could... give them the game.
No, I'm asking you if the PS4 does that. You said you could go digital with PS4. Define digital in relation to the digital service PS4 offers.

aj1701

Noob
Eh, I think he's correct on this one. AAA is so expensive and so risky that they really can't afford to lose revenue to the second hand market.

Concerning the skills and wages thing... I'm not so sure. The skills necessary to make AAA games are very specialized and generally require many years of working in the industry. It's also a creative field, so it's not like everyone who goes through a 4 year design course will graduate and be able to product high quality content.
The second hand market is legal though, so trying to kill it with tech is rightfully facing backlash. Quite frankly the budget is not the gamers problem.

And you can be taught art and creativity. The talent will come if people think they can make good money at it. Our entire economy is highly specialized (well, there are exceptions, but that why some jobs pay like shit.)

windsagio

Unique flower
The second hand market is legal though, so trying to kill it with tech is rightfully facing backlash. Quite frankly the budget is not the gamers problem.

And you can be taught art and creativity. The talent will come if people think they can make good money at it. Our entire economy is highly specialized (well, there are exceptions, but that why some jobs pay like shit.)

You're essentially equating it being legal with it being okay or right, and it's nothing like that. The essential argument is that the players also are in the longterm advantaged once the leeching of money is taken care of.

We're all agreeing that development is essentially a creative venture, and top-level megacorp dickbags aside, almost everyone involved has interest and passion in making as good games as they can, if they're allowed to. The same cannot be said for the secondhand retailers. As a player, your interests largely coincide with the developers, and don't coincide really at all with the resellers.

JaredL

You're essentially equating it being legal with it being okay or right, and it's nothing like that. The essential argument is that the players also are in the longterm advantaged once the leeching of money is taken care of.

We're all agreeing that development is essentially a creative venture, and top-level megacorp dickbags aside, almost everyone involved has interest and passion in making as good games as they can, if they're allowed to. The same cannot be said for the secondhand retailers. As a player, your interests largely coincide with the developers, and don't coincide really at all with the resellers.

You should see the interview dorito pope had with the sony guy.

It was under 'drops the mic' or something. He makes a good case for why used games help the industry.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I don't think assigning blame and discussing who's problem it is solves anything. If people continue to want AAA games, something has to change, because it's just too risky with the 2nd hand market.

Eh, I've encountered too many game-school graduates to believe that creativity is being taught effectively. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
You should see the interview dorito pope had with the sony guy.

It was under 'drops the mic' or something. He makes a good case for why used games help the industry.
So if buying/selling used games actually helps the industry, why do publishers want to see the practice end? Are they all just wrong and actually quite stupid compared to economic masterminds like "Dorito Pope?

Ever wonder why microtransactions and large content DLC packs (developed in parallel with retail) are so ubiquitous in the current console generation? Do you like these trends?