What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
There is no electronic device in the world that works ONLY with an activated internet connection. Devices like smart-phones, ipads, laptops, PCs etc., can all be used without an internet connection. As I've have said earlier - the day we have high speed internet across the whole world, the XB 1 is a brilliant idea. Just until one day before that day comes, XB 1 is a giant useless brick.
See.. There is some good stuff here but the argument is flawed.. So, technology should be put on hold til the whole WORLD can use it? *boggle* there is reason technology more so than not gets released in regional stages than in lump distribution..the iPhone was not released world wide upon initial release.. It went in phases..as did the original Xbox (and as history has shown.. Proved to be a huge success not only being able to last as the new kid in a market with Sony and Nintendo). I wish I could say it will all be okay.. But Microsoft is the only one that can show us this by their actions/performance post launch

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Can someone explain to me, what happens if i lose internet connection for longer then 24 hours. What happens to my Xbox one?

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
There is no electronic device in the world that works ONLY with an activated internet connection. Devices like smart-phones, ipads, laptops, PCs etc., can all be used without an internet connection. As I've have said earlier - the day we have high speed internet across the whole world, the XB 1 is a brilliant idea. Just until one day before that day comes, XB 1 is a giant useless brick.
To be fair though, there hasn't been an electronic device that is trying to do what the X1 is trying to do. Of all the devices that you mentioned, which one of them allows you to share content across platforms with people who haven't bought the content themselves?

Onilordasmodeus

All of you xbone supports can't seem to answer the question. How does digital only (with the same price tag) benefit me the consumer more than a retail copy currently?
The arguement you seem to be leaning towards is "since prices haven't come down yet, they never will."

MacGrub3r7

YOU'RE FIRED!!!
That's ridiculous. So many people are going to be complaining. How can they be allowed to do this? Surely they are breaking some consumer rights law.

bricked forever or just until it gets re-connected to the internet? I'm still fuzzy on that part, because I just don't see how a manufacturer can purposely make a product that breaks itself haha...

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
bricked forever or just until it gets re-connected to the internet? I'm still fuzzy on that part, because I just don't see how a manufacturer can purposely make a product that breaks itself haha...

Till you connect again essentially.

You can always watch TV on it...

Onilordasmodeus

MacGrub3r7 TONY-T

Do you guys typically have NO Internet access for extended periods of time? I realize Tony that you are in Australia, and so I don't have the slightest clue the Internet situation over there, but is it really a regular occurance to be without service for more than 24hrs?

JaredL

Don't listen to him. He's breaking some sort of common sense law.

Here's a much more credible source: http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-one-game-licensing-explained

It'll be pretty hard not to trigger any online check-ins, thus allowing your "brick" to stay fully functional.

If you want to play with some friends 1v1 in MK9 or Injustice. I don't need internet. If I want to play skyrim, I don't need internet.

Is internet required for a lot of games and features? Absolutely. Is internet required for every single conceivable scenario on a gaming console. No.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
MacGrub3r7 TONY-T

Do you guys typically have NO Internet access for extended periods of time? I realize Tony that you are in Australia, and so I don't have the slightest clue the Internet situation over there, but is it really a regular occurrence to be without service for more than 24hrs?
I have access all the time. But for the first time 2 months ago, my internet went down for more then 24 hours due to a technical bug that my isp was experiencing.

The fact that companies can impose such restrictions on its consumer products is worrying to say the least. I'm not so sure i like where the future is going.

Is internet required for a lot of games and features? Absolutely. Is internet required for every single conceivable scenario on a gaming console. No.
The X1 only requires Internet for things such as LIVE, DLC, and rights authentication. It makes sure nobody's accessing games for free, while allowing you to access your games on ANY X1 console. You check-in once (automatically, instantly, and discretely) and you can play offline all day long. Hardly unreasonable.

I have access all the time. But for the first time 2 months ago, my internet went down for more then 24 hours due to a technical bug that my isp was experiencing.
Internet problems? Bypass the check-in using your phone. If you're without cell service and Internet for more than 24 hours, then you're probably not playing video games at that point in time.

JaredL

The X1 only requires Internet for things such as LIVE, DLC, and rights authentication. It makes sure nobody's accessing games for free, while allowing you to access your games on ANY X1 console. You check-in once (automatically, instantly, and discretely) and you can play offline all day long. Hardly unreasonable.

Except, if you don't check in due to a whole host of potential problems and scenarios, you don't get to play single player games.

Imagine if their servers go down for 3 weeks like they did for Sony. Imagine.

Onilordasmodeus

The fact that companies can impose such restrictions on its consumer products is worrying to say the least. I'm not so sure i like where the future is going.
At this point I equate Internet with electricity, and just how a power station can go offline, so too can an ISP. I typically have power issues just as much as I have Internet issues, and those problems come few and far between.

If your net goes offline for more than 24 hrs, then yes, as the MS policy stands today, 24 hrs after that initial check-in you wont have access to you games.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
PLEASE PEOPLE TAKE A MINUTE AND READ! I to want to play Titanfall and Killer Instinct. Microsoft says this is the future, it is only the future if we allow it. Why are the Xbox guys settling for digital copies only? Screw that I want a hard copy I can do with what I want. I know not a good enough argument, but look at it this way. God forbid Microsoft go belly up just like Facebook what happens? That will never happen, maybe, but why is it so hard to grasp they are screwing you. This is where it gets really nasty, you have to have Xbox live to watch Netflix or enjoy any other app on the Xbox One. How is paying a membership in order to watch your membership any where remotely a sane idea? I will keep it short and sweet with this....Say you are banned on Xbox live for calling someone something or a numerous number of reasons, guess what you can not play or watch these things you have payed for. Microsoft will be like your parent and tell each and everyone one of use that I know your a grown a$$ adult but until you can make sure you know how to behave, guess what? Your not playing these games you spent your hard earned money on! Then what the hell are you going to do? It just does not seem like a responsible choice for a consumer to give up that much of their Freedom! Over!

Paying for a service through a paid service...Been around a VERY long time.. Paid cable going hand in hand with pay per view (shouldn't all pay per view events be free if you are already paying for cable?) it's still around..

You have to have Internet service to use Netflix, use an App Store, purchase items on your smartphone, pad or tablet... Still very popular..

Lets play the what if game shall we?
- what if we lose electricity? As in forever.. Pretty much makes any electronic purchase EVER null and void..
-what if we lose Internet structure? Every Smart device ever purchased is now a glorified and much less capable handheld gaming device.

I mean, we could talk about what if all day.. Doesn't mean it will or will not happen during OUR lifetime..
Have you ever purchased a song via iTunes? Bought a book or comic digitally? Ordered a movie on demand or via Netflix? Read a news/sports article on the Internet or on your smart phone? Why are all these things okay to do.. But not gaming? Because you have the OPTION to purchase a CD? A physical book or comic? Purchase and own a DVD? Buy that crisp off the press paper?

I just don't buy it.. I think it's a damn shame that these things are being replaced by digital media.. But if it is the way of the future.. Either adapt and enjoy or be full of resentment looking in.
Society is turning into a society of convenience..If you don't believe that Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or any game developer does not see that the future of gaming is digital and are making the proper adjustments to move forward.. You are simply in denial. The option to have a physical disc is Sony and MS easing customers into the digital age..the game disc is going the way of the cartridge during this generation.. And if not completely, it will be finished off by the generation AFTER PS4/XB1.

And for anyone else trying to prove a point about Microsoft greed by posting "M$ vs Sony" and not making it $ony.... For the last time.. Sony is not run by the sisters of the poor charity.. They want your money as much as re next corporate monster.. Do not get confused and make yourself look ignorant by assuming so.

Finally my used game argument-
It is a VERY flawed system..
Never really understood the used game theory.. New game cost: $65
Used copy cost: $63
Used copy cost being a "member": $60
With the used copy I run the risk that former owner did not take proper care of disc. NO ONE USES THIS OPTION!!! So clever corporate strategist in companies like GameStop come up with twists to "benefit" the buyer...
Defect with the game? Don't like the game? 7 days to return it!
Sell BACK games, pick up the newest games USED and SAVE BIG!!! (Any game where you get relative decent amounts for are either 1) very old and rare- See MvC2 for the Ps1, 2) a generally newer release) so you bundle up the 3 most profitable games in your collection.. Retail at $180, and buy the newest release release at $60 (because your a "member") .. Great deal huh? Or you can pull one over on "the man" and pick up any used title.. Game like a madman to 100% said game and return it to the store in 6 days or less to basically rent a game with a down deposit only...
So I have to ask.. Are you upset that used games may go away because of the "savings" you endure? Or because you can't take advantage of a policy any longer and have to follow the real world rules?

Except, if you don't check in due to a whole host of potential problems and scenarios, you don't get to play single player games.

300,000 servers going down is very, very hard to imagine.

JaredL

300,000 servers going down is very, very hard to imagine.

Those servers are for online multiplayer, not authentication.

All that some pissed off eastern european hackers need to do, is attack the authentication servers.

Or, like what happened with PS3, hack into the passwords of users so they are forced to shut down.

Onilordasmodeus

Companies protect themselves against these things, and go to great lengths to make sure they have provide the services that their costomers rely on. The fact of the matter is MS is FAR better equipped to hand cloud and Online gaming with the infrastructure they have built, more so that Sony is. Can things happen? Of course! But since MS has server farms / and has built up and server infrastructure all over the world, plus they have been providing services like this for years (11 years of XBL and 4 years Cloud services), I'd say the chances of everything coming down would be next to nothing.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Can someone explain to me, what happens if i lose internet connection for longer then 24 hours. What happens to my Xbox one?
You can use your smartphone to tether to the system (for the once daily check) to continue to use your system for 24 hr period. Rinse and repeat daily til Internet is restored.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
You can use your smartphone to tether to the system (for the once daily check) to continue to use your system for 24 hr period. Rinse and repeat daily til Internet is restored.
What if i'm overseas at the time i have a power outage or loss of internet access? Sounds like i'm screwed.