What's new

Making Random Stage Select Tournament Standard?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Why not just make a medium sized stage the official tournament stage? That way neither zoner nor rushdown have any inherent advantage. The coin toss for P1 is already ridiculous and I wish we didn't have to do it. But there's just going to be arguments if the stage is selected at random, though I do that, and don't bitch about it unless it's Kratos' stage, hell or the street.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
One extra rule: if you random a small stage, the person that used Johnny Cage has to apologize after beating your ass.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Why not just make a medium sized stage the official tournament stage? That way neither zoner nor rushdown have any inherent advantage. The coin toss for P1 is already ridiculous and I wish we didn't have to do it. But there's just going to be arguments if the stage is selected at random, though I do that, and don't bitch about it unless it's Kratos' stage, hell or the street.
This.

I actually don't have any problem with any stage. Medium sounds the best though. Then noyone can complain.

...wait.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
No forced random stage, that's stupid.

Maybe the first should be random but after that, loser picks.
that is too much of an advantage imo. it's been suggested widely by top players that the stage can heavily effect a match-up. that's like playing Hilde in SC4 and getting to pick the raft stage -- extremely unfair. this game already has enough counter-picking as it is, getting to pick the stage would be ridiculous and something that'd only be allowed in this game at competitive level.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
why is everyone QQ-ing over counter picking? It's part of competitive play, get over it. Or, alternatively, you can go to Japan and play character lock tournaments.

Kabal isn't invincible on rooftop day. what is everyone's problem?
D Problim iz det Kubayl ez nvincibl in reftop dey

Tim Static

Adminerator
why is everyone QQ-ing over counter picking? It's part of competitive play, get over it. Or, alternatively, you can go to Japan and play character lock tournaments.

Best post in here.

"get over it" = DING!

BTW, its Kratos', Hell, Streets AND Wastelands stages that are banned. Stop fuckin using them, please. They are banned for a reason.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Best post in here.

"get over it" = DING!

BTW, its Kratos', Hell, Streets AND Wastelands stages that are banned. Stop fuckin using them, please. They are banned for a reason.
This. Repeatedly.

The only character I play that such a rule would really affect is Sub-Zero.
And depending where I am, it'll either be easier to keep my distance and play keep away, or easier to push them in the direction I want and start setting Clone traps.

Here's a thought: Plan accordingly.
Make corner strategies. Make open space strategies. Rinse. Repeat.

Kabal's gonna have his way with your face no matter how big or small the stage is.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!

i don't give a shit about "x being 'invincible' at x," but when the stage can change a match-up, no one should be allowed to choose one. how can't you see that that isn't fair?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
but when the character can change a match-up, no one should be allowed to choose one. how can't you see that that isn't fair?
see what I did there? it's the same principle.

If you lose, you get to give yourself a slight advantage by picking the stage. How is that objectionable let alone unfair

NKZero

Noob
i don't give a shit about "x being 'invincible' at x," but when the stage can change a match-up, no one should be allowed to choose one. how can't you see that that isn't fair?
I second this. Nobody can deny that Sub Zero probably has a better chance of beating Kabal in the deadpool arena than he does on the rooftop. Heck even REO made the thread about how the match-up between Kabal and Cyber Sub changing slightly depending on the arena. I'm sorry but even if it changes match-ups in the slightest and affects gameplay (which it does), then you cannot let anyone decide. Random is the most fair way to go about it. Whatever stage was initially chosen should be the one you play on. If it suits you, then that's good fortune. It doesn't, tough luck. If you lose, go back to char select and hope for a better pre-selected stage or just tough it out on the same stage. Simple......this shouldn't even be debated tbh.

NKZero

Noob
see what I did there? it's the same principle.

If you lose, you get to give yourself a slight advantage by picking the stage. How is that objectionable let alone unfair
He never said that the loser should pick the stage. He basically shares the same ideas as I do so just read my above post to understand where we are coming from.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I'm sorry but even if it changes match-ups in the slightest and affects gameplay (which it does), then you cannot let anyone decide.
No.

It makes the meta game of tournament play more dynamic and interesting.

Organize your own tournament with these homogenized rules. I won't be there.

Espio

Kokomo
I'd just personally just play on a medium sized stage, one that has no lag and gives an equal chance to zoners and rushdown characters. Save the drama...I mean seriously we have to have a coin flip and rock, paper, scissors to determine who gets what at majors?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Random would make sense and its used in every decent FG.

Its going to get boring if its not random, every char has their preferred stage they want to play on for the matchup so you'll just see two stages switched back and forth depending on who loses.

When it comes to stages, MK9 should get the 3D game treatment, where its absurd for the idea of picking stages to be viable, as the advantage is so great for some chars. Many top players have said they feel that certain matchups change on some stages, which supports this point further.